Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 646823 times)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #2600 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 15:24:26 »
He did have an R35. He actually had two but his more recent one was nicer.

Well he was told that he would get one when he missed out on the last generation, but now apparently the rules have changed so he was **** out of luck. He has now got rid of his R8, so i've no ****ing idea what's going on with him hahaha.

I'm so glad you got a dark one Sent, did you give your red one back to your dealer or did you have to sell it? I look forward to progress shots :D

Yah, red one was turned back in to the dealership.  They wanted it back since resale on those things is apparently pretty bonkers right now.  Also, I just got a text from the shop....

Heading over after work to get them mounted. ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 May 2017, 15:29:20 by Sent »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2601 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 00:57:20 »
Took the AP1 out of winter storage yesterday  :)
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2602 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 07:47:39 »
He did have an R35. He actually had two but his more recent one was nicer.

Well he was told that he would get one when he missed out on the last generation, but now apparently the rules have changed so he was **** out of luck. He has now got rid of his R8, so i've no ****ing idea what's going on with him hahaha.

I'm so glad you got a dark one Sent, did you give your red one back to your dealer or did you have to sell it? I look forward to progress shots :D

Yah, red one was turned back in to the dealership.  They wanted it back since resale on those things is apparently pretty bonkers right now.  Also, I just got a text from the shop....

Show Image

Heading over after work to get them mounted. ;D

Those wheels are awesome. What are they? I DEMAND MOOOOORE PICS

I went to a show at the weekend and the weather was bloody lovely.

Got to be lined up next to the house which was pretty kickass

Also here's a shot of my friend's Merc rolling low

There were some really nice cars there but here are a couple of my favourites

All of these were Type 2s (all the campers are split screens and there are two Karmanns there as well)

And a nice Scirocco on some pretty insane Rotiforms
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2603 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 09:13:50 »

Yeeee. :thumb:  I wish Honda would revive that car.  Would pick up a new one in a heartbeat.

Those wheels are awesome. What are they? I DEMAND MOOOOORE PICS

Show Image

And a nice Scirocco on some pretty insane Rotiforms

That Scirocco is clean.  I wish we could get those here in the States. :'(

The wheels are Vorsteiner V-FF 103's 20x9 ET35 wrapped in some 255/35/20 Kumho Ecsta PS91's.  The tires were half the price of PS4's and are supposed to be nearly comparable.  The deal was too good to pass up and I figured I'd give 'em a shot.  Can't say much since I just got them on but at first glance, they really do look like PSS/PS4 knock-offs, lol.  Not sure about the compound and initial tread depth is a bit shallower but...we'll see how they do. :confused:

I didn't take any pics since the shop did.  Waiting on them to shoot them over.  All I have so far is this.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2604 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 09:51:44 »
I've never heard of Vorsteiner before, they look kickass though.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2605 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 11:01:24 »
I've never heard of Vorsteiner before, they look kickass though.

Yeah, I never really was aware of them when I was into the more "JDM" stuff.  As soon as I switched over to Euro's, though, I see them quite a bit.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2606 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:04:09 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2607 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:19:21 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks good buddy.  Loving the subtle pop of red from the calipers and center caps.  :thumb:

Is the car already lowered, or are you still dropping it more.  It looks really good as it sits, but I could definitely see about another inch or so.  It might also be an optical illusion since the wheels are big with pretty meaty tires. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2608 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:31:40 »
Looks good buddy.  Loving the subtle pop of red from the calipers and center caps.  :thumb:

Is the car already lowered, or are you still dropping it more.  It looks really good as it sits, but I could definitely see about another inch or so.  It might also be an optical illusion since the wheels are big with pretty meaty tires.

Thanks. :)

Car's already lowered but, yeah, I definitely see what you mean.  Unfortunately, I'm going to rub for sure if I drop it any more.  The tires are too meaty. >:D  The only other option would probably be to size down to 19" rims but they do like a bit small.  We test fitted several and the proportions just looked off.  I think once I get a lip, diffuser, etc. on it'll balance out the look a bit.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2609 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 17:03:09 »

Thanks. :)

Car's already lowered but, yeah, I definitely see what you mean.  Unfortunately, I'm going to rub for sure if I drop it any more.  The tires are too meaty. >:D  The only other option would probably be to size down to 19" rims but they do like a bit small.  We test fitted several and the proportions just looked off.  I think once I get a lip, diffuser, etc. on it'll balance out the look a bit.

It is definitely a fine line before being too low (if there is such a thing  ;) ).  I agree with the you on the lip and stuff.  Also have to consider the extra drop from the 3 ladies that will constantly be in the car with you. 

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2610 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 17:09:27 »
It is definitely a fine line before being too low (if there is such a thing  ;) ).  I agree with the you on the lip and stuff.  Also have to consider the extra drop from the 3 ladies that will constantly be in the car with you.

Yeah, honestly, having the amount of clearance I do in the front is really nice.  Lol.  Let's just hope some companies come out with some nice aero.  There's almost nothing out for the car right now. :mad: 

Wrench, pls.  Three ladies, that's too much weight.  I'll just pick one.  I'm not greedy. :p

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2611 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 17:19:03 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

10/10 would daily :thumb:

Yeeee. :thumb:  I wish Honda would revive that car.  Would pick up a new one in a heartbeat.

I've heard rumors of something like that but I don't think they're based on any info from Honda. As much as I'm excited by the idea of another S2000 or an RX-7 successor I don't have high hopes the companies can pull off what they did in the past. Just look at the RX-8 and new NSX
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2612 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 17:53:08 »
I've heard rumors of something like that but I don't think they're based on any info from Honda. As much as I'm excited by the idea of another S2000 or an RX-7 successor I don't have high hopes the companies can pull off what they did in the past. Just look at the RX-8 and new NSX

The new NSX isn't so bad but the RX-8 makes me cry a bit.

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 17:54:40 by UsualSuspectXXX »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2613 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 18:23:34 »

Show Image

The RX-8 was a real shame

I like the new NSX but I think it lacks the balance of the first generation, also no manual is a huge loss imo. It'd be nice to drive one and see how it compares to the '91 I drove last year.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2614 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 19:53:07 »

Show Image

The RX-8 was a real shame

I like the new NSX but I think it lacks the balance of the first generation, also no manual is a huge loss imo. It'd be nice to drive one and see how it compares to the '91 I drove last year.

Couldn't agree more. The last green NSX is one of my favorite cars, so much perfection.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2615 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 15:29:15 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

**** yeah dude. I think it's the perfect height to be driven daily. If you wanted to go lower you would have to get lower profile tyres which I don't think would look good on those rims if i'm honest. Is it on coilovers or something else?

Looking again maybe a tiny bit lower on the booty...

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2616 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:29:17 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

God damn those wheels are gorgeous. Such a good looking car that's been wrapped up perfectly.

What's next? ;)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2617 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:30:16 »
**** yeah dude. I think it's the perfect height to be driven daily. If you wanted to go lower you would have to get lower profile tyres which I don't think would look good on those rims if i'm honest. Is it on coilovers or something else?

Yeah, I actually just got back from the shop.  We threw on some 255/30/20's and it just looked...ehhh.  I really prefer the meatier/chunkier tire look. 

It's lowered on springs since the new Audi's have those magnetorheological dampers.  They sucked on the S3 but they're actually pretty damn good on the S4.  Unfortunately, though, that means I can't lower the rear.  I'm hoping the trunk spoiler, diffuser, and larger exhaust tips balance it out.  But, no one is making parts yet sooo... :rolleyes:  Going to be waiting a while till the body mods kick in.

God damn those wheels are gorgeous. Such a good looking car that's been wrapped up perfectly.

What's next? ;)

Thank you. ;D  I know modding is all personal preference but it is nice when others appreciate it. 

I have C/F mirror caps, RS-style grill, and some blacked out trim pieces coming in.  Trying to tone down all the aluminium.  After that, trying to raise funds for a stupid expensive exhaust and waiting for tunes and other parts to come out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 May 2017, 16:31:59 by Sent »

Offline dante

« Reply #2618 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 11:08:36 »
The Scirocco always baffled me as - yes - it does look different than the GTI but not enough in my opinion and everyone drools over them.

Maybe I need to see one in person (unfortunately not available in the US) but they look like a GTI that's melted or been smashed.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2619 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 02:49:50 »

Yeah, I actually just got back from the shop.  We threw on some 255/30/20's and it just looked...ehhh.  I really prefer the meatier/chunkier tire look. 

It's lowered on springs since the new Audi's have those magnetorheological dampers.  They sucked on the S3 but they're actually pretty damn good on the S4.  Unfortunately, though, that means I can't lower the rear.  I'm hoping the trunk spoiler, diffuser, and larger exhaust tips balance it out.  But, no one is making parts yet sooo... :rolleyes:  Going to be waiting a while till the body mods kick in.

What's next? ;)

Thank you. ;D  I know modding is all personal preference but it is nice when others appreciate it. 

I have C/F mirror caps, RS-style grill, and some blacked out trim pieces coming in.  Trying to tone down all the aluminium.  After that, trying to raise funds for a stupid expensive exhaust and waiting for tunes and other parts to come out.
Sounds like you have some awesome plans for the car! I'm excited to see more updates as new parts arrive/ get released.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2620 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 14:24:30 »
The Scirocco always baffled me as - yes - it does look different than the GTI but not enough in my opinion and everyone drools over them.

Maybe I need to see one in person (unfortunately not available in the US) but they look like a GTI that's melted or been smashed.

They are really nice to be honest. They are a bit like the GTI, but a little more squat, smaller in the back of course but super comfortable in the front.

Offline dante

« Reply #2621 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 14:53:44 »

They are really nice to be honest. They are a bit like the GTI, but a little more squat, smaller in the back of course but super comfortable in the front.

One of the on going conspiracy theories by VW enthusiasts is the Golf/GTI 2 door configuration was discontinued to make room for the Scirocco.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #2622 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 15:05:03 »
Getting MOT'd today :)

168872-0

The Scriocco is a completely different car with a huge characteristic change over the Golf.

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2623 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 15:11:53 »
We finally found our family car, after we compared a bunch of wagons and SUVs, it's going to be a 2016 Ford Grand C Max. I was really sceptical in terms of build quality but it changed my mind completely. Our favorite before that was a new Skoda Fabia Wagon but now we also get the sliding doors that I really like for kids. And it drives really good, even with the 1.0l EcoBoost.

Now I just have to sell our both cars to finance the new one and wait for my company car.

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2624 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 03:53:50 »
One of the on going conspiracy theories by VW enthusiasts is the Golf/GTI 2 door configuration was discontinued to make room for the Scirocco.

But you can still get a 3 door GTI?
Getting MOT'd today :)

(Attachment Link)

The Scriocco is a completely different car with a huge characteristic change over the Golf.

I would agree when talking about the old one, but they are very similar in their new iterations.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2625 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 07:47:43 »
Took a trip up to Carmel by the Sea to visit friends and go the the inaugural Spring Classic at Leguna Seca (vintage car racing event).  The racing featured 30 cars in the GT class up to 2.5L and about a dozen 70's and early 80's Formula 1 cars.  So awesome.  I also took a drive down the 1 towards Big Sur since it was so pretty out. 

This Skyline was the loudest car on track.  Sooo goood!

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2626 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 10:24:30 »
I did one of those driving experience days recently as a birthday gift from my sister (I'd bought her one prior to this - she actually got to drive a GT3 before me, and she's not even into cars  :)) )

Anyway I had 4 car choices, 2 laps in each, at Mallory Park circuit. As the track is only short I decided to double up on my last car and have 4 laps. There were quite a few cars to choose from, but a lot of them you had to pay to upgrade to, which I cba.

SO first up was the GTR, I figured it'd be ideal to start with just to get a feel for the circuit. There were about 50 people driving that day, and the cars were coming in and out of the 'pit' area quite frequently so I timed it as best I could to not be held up behind someone slow..

Thoughts: Quick car. Almost deceptively quick, as it feels quite large, spacious, comfortable. Acceleration was effortless, plenty of torque, gearbox was very fast and smooth. Didn't really go into the corners quick enough to get a detailed impression of the handling, but there was zero drama. Turn-in for the chicane was good, brakes were strong. Running / servicing costs aside I can see why this would make an excellent daily.

Second, Audi R8 V10 Spyder. I'm not necessarily a big Audi fan, but I wanted at least one convertible as the weather was fabulous. It was this or a yellow Ferrari California. The Cali doesn't do much for me, honestly. (Not me in the photo)...

Thoughts: Now this was fun. The ideal car really, for a track like this. The contrast against the GTR was immediately apparent - this feels much more like a 'supercar' to drive. Much lower to the floor, smaller cabin, heavier steering and controls, shorter front end. Very much like a go kart compared to your average car. In terms of speed, it's hard to place it. I didn't look at the speedo on track, I was just driving to the conditions and following the instructors comments when required. It probably 'felt' quicker due to the driving position, roof off etc. Louder, made a great sound I must say. Yeah, for an Audi, I enjoyed it, very fun around a smaller circuit, tickled the senses more than the GTR. Only criticism - the gearbox was awful. Every car on track was an auto, but the Audi 'box was sluggish and jerky compared to the instant GTR one. Flat-upshifts (which I was told to do) were rough, and downshifts were slower to respond. My only real gripe with the car, though.

Lastly, my 'realistic' dream car, if you will. A Porsche 911 (991 C2S). Saved this for last once I'd got used to the lines of the track and some people had left after already having their spots...

2 years ago, my dad drove a 996 Turbo around here; 1 year ago my sister drove a 997 GT3 around here. So this was the first 911 I've driven despite it being my dream car for a decade+  :))

Thoughts: I went into this with some preconceived opinions, and they pretty much came true. What a fantastic car to drive. Evidently not as fast as the previous two, but something about it felt more lively and eager.. I've been in and around these cars many times so I was familiar with the cabin etc. This example was a C2S with PDK and the lovely Sport steering wheel. While a manual would've been fun, I honestly can't fault the PDK box. It's phenomenal. This car was so much fun, I probably pushed it harder than the previous 2 cars as I was familiar with the track layout, corner speeds and gears, and we had some free space to use more of the track width. At the top of the track there's a 2nd gear hairpin and chicane, which I gave it some stick around and genuinely felt that signature 911 'arse squat' as it gripped around the corner and accelerated out towards the straight. Although more of a 'sports car' than 'supercar', this was the most fun and definitely lived up to expectations. So, a very fun day - great weather, great cars, nice girls  ;)

So, who wants to lend me £30k?  :))
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline mrduul

« Reply #2627 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 16:16:52 »
Need more moolah to spend on amazing cars!!  :p :p

Offline dante

« Reply #2628 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 12:12:48 »

At least here in the US you can't.  For 2016 both the 3 door GTI and Golf were available through special order only.  For 2017 they cancelled 3 door configurations for both models.  They did make a very small number of 2017's but those were probably to fulfill late 2016 orders.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2629 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 05:51:44 »
It looks like I'll sell my 2004 Toyota Corolla hatchback and buy an VW Golf MK4 estate from my brother. Anyone got the an MK4 and can comment on it's serviceability and any cool mod tips and tricks? My other brother had the Golf MK4 a while back and it was quite a nice car.

Don't remember what motor the estate has but it's a "Pacific" so I think it's has the maximum package MK4 interiors and tech had.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2630 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:19:39 »

At least here in the US you can't.  For 2016 both the 3 door GTI and Golf were available through special order only.  For 2017 they cancelled 3 door configurations for both models.  They did make a very small number of 2017's but those were probably to fulfill late 2016 orders.

Well that sucks. I do like my own 5 door golf but I get why people prefer a 3 door.

So I was considering getting a bike next year instead of a car but then realised I would have to keep the car going for weekend trips with the gf and stuff.

Soooooooo I'm going back to an old E Class estate. Get one super cheap, it's going to be awesome.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2631 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 09:18:40 »
Anyone owns or has owned a car with air suspension? Is it very expensive? Oh and is there anyone who's chipped their Golf MK4 (diesel engine)?

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2632 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:05:20 »
I dont own one but i planned some time to get one and it was really expensive when you want quality parts.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2633 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 15:29:02 »
Beautiful day to take out the AP1

Offline mrduul

« Reply #2634 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:01:25 »
Nice mah man.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2635 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 03:51:49 »
Anyone owns or has owned a car with air suspension? Is it very expensive? Oh and is there anyone who's chipped their Golf MK4 (diesel engine)?

It depends.

There are two ways in my eyes that you can put your car on air. You can get the "budget build" where you buys the kit, and fit it yourself. This will probably cost you around $3k with all the parts, shipping, whatever else. Then you could get a show install where you get someone like Only Charged Dubs to make you a hard line install where they put the tank on show with some shiny compressors and some insane hard pipes, LED illumination under engraves perspex panels, remote controls and apps which will set you back anywhere from $4k to about $8k.

There has been discussion on previous pages about air ride, and the technology has come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years. The bags are incredibly tough, and if you get your equipment from a reputable source then they will last a very long time. I'm looking at doing air ride eventually but I haven't got the money yet hah.

Show Image

Damn that looks good with no plate on...

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2636 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:36:15 »

It depends.

There are two ways in my eyes that you can put your car on air. You can get the "budget build" where you buys the kit, and fit it yourself. This will probably cost you around $3k with all the parts, shipping, whatever else. Then you could get a show install where you get someone like Only Charged Dubs to make you a hard line install where they put the tank on show with some shiny compressors and some insane hard pipes, LED illumination under engraves perspex panels, remote controls and apps which will set you back anywhere from $4k to about $8k.

There has been discussion on previous pages about air ride, and the technology has come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years. The bags are incredibly tough, and if you get your equipment from a reputable source then they will last a very long time. I'm looking at doing air ride eventually but I haven't got the money yet hah.

Damn, that's expensive to me. Given the car is ~€3k, it's probably not worth it. Given it's a long term investment, it would probably be nice but... It would be my only car so primary function would be a family car. Thinking about slightly lowering it and putting on some nice rims for the summer though. Any advice on "slightly" lowering it? Just so it looks a bit more sporty but still comfortable for everyday driving on street with potholes and patches. :D

Is chipping something one can do on his own? Looking around autoshops here it's around €200.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2637 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 05:57:59 »
You could try coilovers. That's what I have on my car. Again there are a number of ways you can do it. I got the super budget coilovers which only cost me about $150. The ride is kinda bouncy but i don't really mind. You can get ones that are slightly more expensive but unless you go up to racing level coilovers you won't have to pay more than like 400 a set.

Those you can install yourself provided you have the tools, and they are usually fully adjustable so you can go from no drop to like, six inches sometimes.

Chipping you could do yourself but it would probably cost you more than $200 to get the equipment. You are basically plugging into your car's ECU and changing various things to make it more powerful or more fuel efficient. I wouldn't go for anybody who comes to your house to do it because they just go on estimates to show you the gains. If you go to a shop somewhere with a rolling road then you can get a true indication of the benefits you are getting.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2638 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 06:05:29 »
You could try coilovers. That's what I have on my car. Again there are a number of ways you can do it. I got the super budget coilovers which only cost me about $150. The ride is kinda bouncy but i don't really mind. You can get ones that are slightly more expensive but unless you go up to racing level coilovers you won't have to pay more than like 400 a set.

Those you can install yourself provided you have the tools, and they are usually fully adjustable so you can go from no drop to like, six inches sometimes.

Chipping you could do yourself but it would probably cost you more than $200 to get the equipment. You are basically plugging into your car's ECU and changing various things to make it more powerful or more fuel efficient. I wouldn't go for anybody who comes to your house to do it because they just go on estimates to show you the gains. If you go to a shop somewhere with a rolling road then you can get a true indication of the benefits you are getting.

Thank you very much. Will definitely think about coilovers and chipping now. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2639 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 06:08:47 »
Welll like I say, I have coilovers on mine so i did a bit of research beforehand :P I also hang around with a lot of car guys who have had a lot of different cars so I talk about a lot of different options and stuff hence why I know a bit about the remapping too :)

Offline mrduul

« Reply #2640 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:21:59 »
What cars can you get in the $150-200k range.

I am looking to splurge on a special treat.  :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2641 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:45:08 »

imho, only insecure middle class people buy cars in that range..

If you're not RICH yet for a true rich guy car,  just drive a camry until you are..

Otherwise, all the truly Rich people are just laughing at you behind your back. hahahahaha

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2642 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:55:27 »

That's a super broad question. Any chance you can narrow it down to what exactly you're looking for? 150K can get you a fully loaded benz, or a sports car, so there's quite a difference.

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2643 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:57:50 »
I would say get an S Class.

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2644 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 14:14:40 »

That's a super broad question. Any chance you can narrow it down to what exactly you're looking for? 150K can get you a fully loaded benz, or a sports car, so there's quite a difference.

If i was moving that much cash, i'd buy some cryptocurrency.. hahahahaha

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2645 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 14:20:36 »
Can't believe I'm saying this (as a McLaren guy), but 991 Turbo, or maybe the Turbo S without as many options.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2646 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 15:01:56 »
Damn, that's expensive to me. Given the car is ~€3k, it's probably not worth it. Given it's a long term investment, it would probably be nice but... It would be my only car so primary function would be a family car. Thinking about slightly lowering it and putting on some nice rims for the summer though. Any advice on "slightly" lowering it? Just so it looks a bit more sporty but still comfortable for everyday driving on street with potholes and patches. :D

Is chipping something one can do on his own? Looking around autoshops here it's around €200.

Kat covered some stuff already but just some more food for thought for you...

Most people that get coilovers don't actually need them, tbh.  They buy into the million clicks of adjustability (which isn't the hallmark of a good coilover) or tout the suspension benefits while sitting in traffic (which is also pretty :rolleyes:).  I'd honestly recommend a good shock and spring combo if you're just looking for a mild drop and trying to save some money.  I tend to shy away from budget coils due to the 'bounce' that Kat mentioned.  The dampening they provide isn't really great and you may actually wind up with a worse ride than the stock suspension.  Your opinion may differ but, personally, I wouldn't lower my car for the look only for it to perform worse than the factory set up. 

As an aside, Kat, where are you finding coils for that cheap? :eek:  Holy moley, lol. 

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2647 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 15:19:35 »

Kat covered some stuff already but just some more food for thought for you...

Most people that get coilovers don't actually need them, tbh.  They buy into the million clicks of adjustability (which isn't the hallmark of a good coilover) or tout the suspension benefits while sitting in traffic (which is also pretty :rolleyes:).  I'd honestly recommend a good shock and spring combo if you're just looking for a mild drop and trying to save some money.  I tend to shy away from budget coils due to the 'bounce' that Kat mentioned.  The dampening they provide isn't really great and you may actually wind up with a worse ride than the stock suspension.  Your opinion may differ but, personally, I wouldn't lower my car for the look only for it to perform worse than the factory set up. 

As an aside, Kat, where are you finding coils for that cheap? :eek:  Holy moley, lol.

Ok, thanks for the info. Will try and find an acquaintance that knows a bit more about the autoshops in Riga so I can get some good info and mechanics for this. Will keep in mind that a shock and spring combo could be better (probably will, as I'm on a budget).

Oh, I never mentioned coil prices, it's €200 for chip tuning the car. Don't know the prices for coilovers.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2648 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:36:47 »

Show Image

Damn that looks good with no plate on...

Thanks! Illinois doesn't require a front plate so we can get away with it here. A few near by states do but I carry the spare plate and mount for it in the trunk as a "I just haven't had time to add it yet" excuse, never been given a ticket or written warning for it, only verbal warnings.

Also new or used, being open to used can really expand the range to include more cool stuff.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2649 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:42:23 »
Thanks! Illinois doesn't require a front plate so we can get away with it here. A few near by states do but I carry the spare plate and mount for it in the trunk as a "I just haven't had time to add it yet" excuse, never been given a ticket or written warning for it, only verbal warnings.

You guys are lucky.  I wish we didn't require a front plate here.  I never run one, but yeah...:))  Haven't put my plates on the S4, yet. Trying to see how long I can get away with it. :eek: