Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 643771 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #2800 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:17:23 »
Welp started off the new year with a 'bang'

Show Image

Totaled, unfortunately. Still kinda pissed, but **** happens.

On the other hand, picked up my new baby today:

Show Image

2016 A4. Very happy :)

God damn, dude!  Sad to see it go.  :(  Nice replacement A4 though, lookin' good.  ^-^

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2801 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:57:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oh damn! The A4 looks really sharp. Quattro too :cool:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2802 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 19:07:04 »
YOUR IMAGE DOESN'T WORK! I CAN'T SEE YOU CAR! I HOPE YOU'RE NOT USING A MACINTRASH TO UPLOAD PICTURES.

Yes, it works on Windows. Verified. Even NT4. So your connection is slowing down the exporting of the image you are expecting to see. (Sort of like waiting for the Viking lander image to "appear" all at once.) Eventually, if you don't leave the page using your "Internet Explorer 4.0", you may see the image.

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2803 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 23:03:11 »
Got my new company car yesterday, the LED headlights are so impressive, it feels like you can see through walls.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2804 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 05:10:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Awww nooooo :( RIP R32

How are you liking the A4 so far?

Got my new company car yesterday, the LED headlights are so impressive, it feels like you can see through walls.
Show Image

Nice. You got the estate version? Which engine have they provided you with? I'm still not 100% sold on the headlights on the new model, I would have preferred the single units.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2805 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 11:54:20 »
Show Image

Nice. You got the estate version? Which engine have they provided you with? I'm still not 100% sold on the headlights on the new model, I would have preferred the single units.

Yes it's the estate, can't be big enough for work. The 1.6TDI, not what I would choose for my private car but not a bad engine. Enough for the german Autobahn especially in rush hour. I even thought of getting the RS before the facelift as family car but two would be too much :D

I was really sceptical the first time I saw the new headlights but I like them more and more with time. And much better in silver than the old ones.

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 January 2018, 11:55:56 by WhiteHelix »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2806 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 20:16:04 »

Show Image

Yea, me too =/ sorry that yours was a total loss

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2807 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:35:54 »
So the Rover i'm currently driving (girlfriends car but she has no driver's licence) has got a pretty sizeable hole in the middle section of the exhaust. It's not due an MOT until October so I think i'm going to leave it for now, but it sounds like a rally car at the moment so I'm quite enjoying driving it :D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2808 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:51:54 »
So the Rover i'm currently driving (girlfriends car but she has no driver's licence) has got a pretty sizeable hole in the middle section of the exhaust. It's not due an MOT until October so I think i'm going to leave it for now, but it sounds like a rally car at the moment so I'm quite enjoying driving it :D

Just go hard and drop everything after the manifold :))

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2809 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:31:50 »

I would if it was my car and I didn't care about it, but because it's my gf's I may have to get a replacement part for it in the future... Although what I really want to do is just get a piece of scaffold in there instead :D

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2810 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 09:04:18 »
Well I’m still being messed around with cars.. that Yaris I had was taken back by the hire company after the DPF failed (could literally smell diesel fumes inside the cabin while driving...)

So they swapped that for this Kia Rio.. not a bad little car to be fair, it’s a good trim level so has heated pleather seats and wheel, CarPlay and some other stuff. Little 1.0 petrol motor but it’s quite raspy, not quick but.. nippy?

Hopefully will be able to secure a proper list car in the next couple of months...
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 09:05:53 by smithyithy »
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #2811 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 12:09:39 »

I would if it was my car and I didn't care about it, but because it's my gf's I may have to get a replacement part for it in the future... Although what I really want to do is just get a piece of scaffold in there instead :D

nothing wrong with a straightpipe!! My Datsun has no cat... LOUD is not the word. Xondat can testify to that :)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2812 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 12:35:57 »
Redacted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 12:44:54 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2813 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:21:29 »
I'm up to about a litre per hour of oil consumption on the 2.0 Lima in my 1985 Ford Ranger, so an engine swap is forthcoming for Summer-ish. 2.3 EFI, nothing fancy.

The Country Squire wagon which I believe I posted earlier in this thread is slated to be roadworthy prior to that...hopefully. Need to get the windshield in, replace about 30ft of brake line, all brake hard parts, a bunch of gaskets and all fluids...and steam clean the interior...and put in the new trunk floor. Yikes.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
« Reply #2814 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 18:21:45 »

Show Image

Yea, me too =/ sorry that yours was a total loss

Show Image

It looks so sad. :(
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2815 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:32:47 »
2015 S4, sorry for potato quality. Prolly gonna be driving this until the wheels fall off, finished paying it off last October.

FC660C | FC980C

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2816 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:40:04 »
Nice! In the future I either want to get an Audi RS8 or Lexus LS 500 F. Currently happy with my 2006 IS 250 nearing 150,000 miles.  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2817 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:57:55 »
Nice! In the future I either want to get an Audi RS8 or Lexus LS 500 F. Currently happy with my 2006 IS 250 nearing 150,000 miles.  :p

Think you mean the R8, the coupe right? I would LOVE to own that car and a RS7 as well, but the overall maintenance/running costs are so ridiculous lol. Definitely my dream cars (Audi fan boy here).
FC660C | FC980C

Offline portbaron

« Reply #2818 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 14:00:47 »
Cars are something I've been into since high school. Worked on them and all that.  Used to have a 650hp single turbo mkiv Supra, but now have settled on something a little more practical for a while. C43 AMG.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 May 2018, 14:03:10 by portbaron »
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2819 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 14:12:05 »

Think you mean the R8, the coupe right? I would LOVE to own that car and a RS7 as well, but the overall maintenance/running costs are so ridiculous lol. Definitely my dream cars (Audi fan boy here).

Oops, no actually meant the RS7. Upkeep is definitely a factor to consider, my Lexus has needed almost no repairs since I've bought it. The CV boots are starting to go but I'm just going to wait for them to get really bad and have the axles replaced instead since the cost is pretty much the same. Otherwise the only issues I've had with it that I can think of was a bad battery mount that caused the battery to short circuit. Also the recall for the Takata airbags.  :))

Otherwise I pretty much need a sedan; as much as a coupe would be nice, it's not very practical in a crammed city like Boston when I have people riding in the back or any kids I may have in the future.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2820 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 14:21:12 »

Oops, no actually meant the RS7. Upkeep is definitely a factor to consider, my Lexus has needed almost no repairs since I've bought it. The CV boots are starting to go but I'm just going to wait for them to get really bad and have the axles replaced instead since the cost is pretty much the same. Otherwise the only issues I've had with it that I can think of was a bad battery mount that caused the battery to short circuit. Also the recall for the Takata airbags.  :))

Otherwise I pretty much need a sedan; as much as a coupe would be nice, it's not very practical in a crammed city like Boston when I have people riding in the back or any kids I may have in the future.

Yea the RS7 is a monster, want so bad lol. The worst thing about the RS7 is the rear headroom. The sloping roof makes anyone taller than ~5'9" uncomfortable, since their head literally touches the roof.

Not really a big issue though, unless you have a lot of tall people in your car lol.

Lexus is rock solid for the most part. My friend had a LS460 that had nothing but problems the 4 years he owned it though, but my other friend has been driving the same IS350 for years now. Just luck of the draw.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2821 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 14:31:49 »
Unreliable Lexus are pretty rare. I owned a 96 Camry before the Lexus and even two decades later it was still moving fine, minus the minor issues like leaky roof, bad CV joints, etc.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2822 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 15:25:10 »
Indeed. I was very surprised with how many problems he had with that LS460, but every manufacturer is gonna have lemons. My parents have the same car and they've had no issues with it.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2823 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 16:44:28 »
Shot for a Friend on Monday, I'm pretty satisfied. The whole shoot was only spontaneous and nothing planned. A little bit of retouch and grading in Capture One and done. Sorry for Tapatalk potatoe quality, will upload in good quality tomorrow.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2824 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 21:02:42 »
I'll just keep it clean.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2019, 19:07:32 by Snowdog993 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2825 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 21:10:42 »
I'll just keep it clean.

Show Image

Show Image

Drive what you like.
2015 S4, sorry for potato quality. Prolly gonna be driving this until the wheels fall off, finished paying it off last October.

Show Image

Show Image

Cars are something I've been into since high school. Worked on them and all that.  Used to have a 650hp single turbo mkiv Supra, but now have settled on something a little more practical for a while. C43 AMG.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Shot for a Friend on Monday, I'm pretty satisfied. The whole shoot was only spontaneous and nothing planned. A little bit of retouch and grading in Capture One and done. Sorry for Tapatalk potatoe quality, will upload in good quality tomorrow.

These are all amazing... Can't wait till I can have a grown up car :))

Offline portbaron

« Reply #2826 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 22:11:04 »
I'll just keep it clean.

Show Image

Show Image

Drive what you like.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These are all amazing... Can't wait till I can have a grown up car :))
Looks like gunmetal gray is in lol.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2827 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 02:02:02 »
This is from last year, but my car. 2006 Lexus IS 250 AWD, Enkei J10 with Kumho Ecsta PS31 (Ultra High performance summers). It's no performance car, but it's still a blast to do some spirited driving in.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2828 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 09:24:51 »
Looks like gunmetal gray is in lol.

lol yeah, it works best on curvy cars like the C class though :p

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2829 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 11:06:15 »
Whoa this thread blew up lol. I love all the gunmetal cars, my absolute favorite color. White would be a close second though.

This is from last year, but my car. 2006 Lexus IS 250 AWD, Enkei J10 with Kumho Ecsta PS31 (Ultra High performance summers). It's no performance car, but it's still a blast to do some spirited driving in.

Show Image

Nice, my friend has a modded black IS250 too. It's all show and no go though lol.

My car is a boat compared to those, almost 4k lbs lol. I've prolly dumped ~$20k in mods and it drives ****ing amazing now though.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2830 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 11:36:35 »
With Boston traffic you can't really go any faster than 50-60 anyways, so it's not too bad of a car considering. The Enkei lower the unsprung weight considerably, stock wheels are around 26 lbs and my Enkei are 16 lbs each which helps to shave about half a second off 0-60 time. I think last time I timed it was around 7.2 seconds, still faster than most other Toyotas even today. Your mods are worth more than my car though, so it's not exactly an unexpected result. Still, once I get a house and can comfortably afford payments, we'll probably end up getting a Lexus LS or GS F. Maybe an Audi RS.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2831 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 15:24:36 »
Yea lowering unsprung weight will definitely be immediately noticeable. I want to do a couple more things too, but at this point I think I'm done. I have way too much money in this car lol.

The new Lexus are nice, I just personally don't like the front grilles. Overall decent cars, although I noticed they opted for naturally aspirated again for the GS, but put a twin turbo V6 in the LS. Kinda weird choice.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2832 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 15:31:06 »
Yeah definitely. I might opt for some nicer brakes in the future, not for any necessity of stopping distance but just because the OEM brakes look kind of bad with the Enkei.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2833 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 15:38:00 »
RS7 is one of my dream cars. I'm hoping to get an A7 next year, so aiming towards that is huge for me.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2834 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 10:50:57 »
Yeah definitely. I might opt for some nicer brakes in the future, not for any necessity of stopping distance but just because the OEM brakes look kind of bad with the Enkei.

You could always just paint the calipers or something for now, would be a cheap way to make them look a bit better lol.

RS7 is one of my dream cars. I'm hoping to get an A7 next year, so aiming towards that is huge for me.

Yea RS7 is definitely at the top of the list for me as well lol. A7 is nice, I'm curious how the power feels now with the new turbo V6.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #2835 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 22:00:58 »
Hello geekhack,

I am searching for a 1st gen (2001-2005) Lexus IS300. If you or someone you know has one for sale please pm me.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2836 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 03:47:30 »
You probably won't find one here. Your local Craigslist/classifieds is a better bet.

Offline mason

« Reply #2837 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 09:43:53 »
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask  :) I'll keep looking

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2838 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:28:10 »
I have a 2nd gen IS250, though I don't think that will be of any help.  :))

Offline mason

« Reply #2839 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 22:23:18 »
The 11 month search is over.

Proud new owner of a first generation IS300.

A teenager saving money is a joke, but I did it!

Offline iri

« Reply #2840 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 05:24:28 »
i should not come to this thread as it breeds jealousy
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #2841 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 05:48:07 »
Just driven to Cardiff and back (200 miles ish) and the Rover never missed a beat.
Ha, what a coincidence. I bought my current car in Brum.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2842 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 06:27:05 »
Just driven to Cardiff and back (200 miles ish) and the Rover never missed a beat.
Ha, what a coincidence. I bought my current car in Brum.

Oh nice, what did you get?

Offline iri

« Reply #2843 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 14:25:33 »
'09 Focus 1.8 TDCi

Nothing interesting

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2844 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 03:27:49 »
God, my Volkswagen Passat B8 has been a pain in the ass. Now my rear view camera has failed and won't open anymore. Took it to the dealer yesterday and after a day they were like "nope, didn't find anything, bring it back in 10 days and we'll look some more".
pls gief bbv2

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2845 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 12:34:24 »
Soon™.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #2846 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 22:40:30 »
Does that mean this was a ‘dry fit’ and still have to finish it off, like to cover it?
10’s or 12’s?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2847 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 03:01:28 »
If you notice they aren't even screwed into the box yet. I need to get the head unit replaced and wire everything since this is a transplant from my previous car. It's SoundQubed HDS212 subs. It's an ongoing project since I have other more pressing things to fix first (like the clogged A/C line that's leaking into the cabin).

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #2848 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 13:07:29 »
Couldn’t see much on my phone.
Plenty of bass there with 600Wrms per driver.
Hope the spare wheel isn’t under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2849 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 15:32:57 »
A little extra info copied and pasted from DT. And yes the spare wheel is under the box, but oh well. :D

It's standard plywood housing, it was custom built for my Ford Focus before someone rammed me and totaled it. It is two SoundQubed HDS212 4Ω subs that I ran with a Helix Blue B One at 1Ω on KnuKonceptz 4AWG wire. I never used a spare battery or cap and just powered it straight from the alternator. I'm not familiar with "bass reflex" but looking at Google Images tells me that it is - it's a ported design made for 33Hz. I actually have a couple of (rather poorly produced) videos back from when it was in my old car.

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 August 2018, 15:37:28 by Blaise170 »