Author Topic: Unknown Power connection USB -to- ?  (Read 10542 times)

Offline karmak

Unknown Power connection USB -to- ?
« on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 08:53:15 »
Hi all, I recently bought a portable 4K monitor from China. Monitor arrived ok all looks good, but the power adapter didn't have a cable with it. One end is USB the other end that connects to the monitor itself, I have no idea! I have attached a photo, if any of you guys know what type of connection this is, very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

P.S. Yes, I contacted the manufacturer.....they replied in Chinese  :mad:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Unknown Power connection USB -to- ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:37:05 »
That looks like mini displayport - the port on the right is USB-C, which I'd imagine is the power.

Offline karmak

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 11:14:33 »
That looks like mini displayport - the port on the right is USB-C, which I'd imagine is the power.

I agree it does look like a display port. in their description is says;

2 x HD port
1 x DC port
1 x mini DP
1 x TYPE-C port

There are however only four connections unless one of those is the headphone. I have included a foto of the back on the monitor. Is it possible use a USB -C cable from the Monitor to the Power adapter?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 11:43:05 »

I agree it does look like a display port. in their description is says;

2 x HD port
1 x DC port
1 x mini DP
1 x TYPE-C port

There are however only four connections unless one of those is the headphone. I have included a foto of the back on the monitor. Is it possible use a USB -C cable from the Monitor to the Power adapter?

Yep that should work - lot of modern laptops use USB-C chargers now.

As for their description the one that sticks out as not being there is the 1x DC Port - I'm guessing that's normally for devices that don't use USB-C.

Offline karmak

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:01:20 »
Thanks for your advice. I'll buy a British connector for the power adapter tomorrow, see what happens!

Many thanks!