Author Topic: [Topre owners] Just dental banded my 660C  (Read 3028 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
[Topre owners] Just dental banded my 660C
« on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:12:54 »
Holy crap. This is probably the best typing experience I've ever had. It's hard to describe, but it's sooooo smooth and sexy on my fingertips. I used to think that I really wouldn't like the sound of silenced Topres, but this is just so good.

If you're on the fence, do it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Bands I used here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141017868936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: [Topre owners] Just dental banded my 660C
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:15:37 »
Holy crap. This is probably the best typing experience I've ever had. It's hard to describe, but it's sooooo smooth and sexy on my fingertips. I used to think that I really wouldn't like the sound of silenced Topres, but this is just so good.

If you're on the fence, do it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Bands I used here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141017868936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Good to know!  I've seen some who like the mod on the hhkb, and some who don't.  Is the travel altered at all like it is slightly on bottom row of the hhkb?
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:18:26 »
I can't notice any travel distance difference at all, personally. Some people might be more sensitive to that than I am, but to me it's just Topre goodness without any high pitched clack on the rebound.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:19:29 »
I can't notice any travel distance difference at all, personally. Some people might be more sensitive to that than I am, but to me it's just Topre goodness without any high pitched clack on the rebound.
that's awesome, i'll definitely have to try the mod out should I ever pick up a 660c, thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Offline Rafen

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:24:49 »
Thanks a lot! I might try this to the HHKB I just ordered and if I like it might end up doing it to the Realforce I'm typing on.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:25:48 »
I really like the dental bands, too. Mine are some of the plain beige ones left over from my daughter's braces.

I wish that there was real information available on long-term durability.

They are thinner and softer than the thinnest O-rings I have tried, and I consider that to be a good thing. But I have only tried them on black and blue Cherry switches.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:27:36 »
Yeah, I wasn't a fan at all of the O-rings I tried on my previous Cherry boards. There's something about the way a Topre dome collapses that makes the soft landing pleasant. But on a Cherry board, it felt really, really weird.

I might try the super soft O-rings on the Code board though.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:01:06 »
I have my 660C in the mail. Is there a guide to install them or they go on just like the O-Rings for Cherry?

I know the landing pad mod that reduced the clack from the key upstroke needed to be modded by taking apart the board.

Does this mod reduce the same sound?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:12:52 »
I have my 660C in the mail. Is there a guide to install them or they go on just like the O-Rings for Cherry?

I know the landing pad mod that reduced the clack from the key upstroke needed to be modded by taking apart the board.

That is this mod, yes. You don't need to worry about the downstroke on Topres since the plunger lands on top of the cup. This reduces the clack of the upstroke, and requires removing quite a few screws.

I followed this guide (yeah, Ri**ter, I know...). The only trick is popping the plungers out. I used a small flathead screwdriver and just pushed down on the inside of the plunger until it popped out.

Then you just wrap the bands around the stem of the plunger, and pull them down until their around the base of the stem. Pop the plungers back in, put it back together and you're good to go.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:41:10 »

That is this mod, yes. You don't need to worry about the downstroke on Topres since the plunger lands on top of the cup. This reduces the clack of the upstroke, and requires removing quite a few screws.

I followed this guide (yeah, Ri**ter, I know...). The only trick is popping the plungers out. I used a small flathead screwdriver and just pushed down on the inside of the plunger until it popped out.

Then you just wrap the bands around the stem of the plunger, and pull them down until their around the base of the stem. Pop the plungers back in, put it back together and you're good to go.

Oh boy. that guide makes me very nervous. However, all I hear are amazing things about the mod. This obviously voids the warranty, correct?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:06:06 »
daerid, i think this thread warrants a typing video!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:08:18 »
excellent, I'm going to put this on my 30g and see what happens.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:28:30 »

Apologies for the potato video (shot with an iPhone 5S):

It's probably a manifestation of the way the mic picks up the sound, but the actual sound is much softer and smoother than what it sounds like in this video.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:41:12 »

It's probably a manifestation of the way the mic picks up the sound, but the actual sound is much softer and smoother than what it sounds like in this video.
It sounds wonderful, thanks for taking the time to post one!  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:28:20 »
Dental bands, denture tabs ... who knew that dentistry was so closely interwoven with keyboards ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:37:22 »
Dental bands, denture tabs ... who knew that dentistry was so closely interwoven with keyboards ;)

What? Are you kidding?

Key caps look almost exactly like molars.

Imagine how cool a set of "dental" keycaps would be!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:51:40 »

What? Are you kidding?

This thread officially got weird lol.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:53:32 »

What? Are you kidding?

http://techkeys.us/collections/artisan/products/molar-key
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 20:15:19 »

What? Are you kidding?

If I saw an entire board covered in those, I'd probably get really creeped out.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 20:46:46 »

What? Are you kidding?

Great post!

Yea.
It'd make me overly conscious about dental/oral hygiene.
Then I'd brush my teeth over my keyboard and ruin it :/

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:19:46 »

Wow, very nice. No annoying upstroke 'clack'!
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:21:21 »

What? Are you kidding?

Great post!

Yea.
It'd make me overly conscious about dental/oral hygiene.
Then I'd brush my teeth over my keyboard and ruin it :/

It would make cleaning keycaps a little bit easier :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:32:45 »
Can confirm, dental banded and krytox lubed my FC660C a couple weeks ago, it's bliss.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:53:24 »

Is that a dye-sub version? I have one on the desk as well. I been using MX reds so much. This is heeeaavy ;(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:37:30 »
Yes, that's the dye sub version.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:07:08 »
Nice. I have a squeaky case lasered version as well ;o

Offline redskull

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:19:20 »
glad you enjoyed your silencing mod daerid. i did mine before and i did not really like the difference in key travel those rings caused.  :thumb:

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:31:31 »
I got a good laugh out of this thread from the teeth/dental jokes.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 17:05:37 »
Update:

Just finished doing this to my 55g 87U. I can definitely feel the key shortened key travel on this, although, in a way it's increased the tactility slightly. Still feels soft an buttery smooth. I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker for me, as I prefer shorter throw switches generally. There's huge difference in noise though. Super, super quiet. The 660C still thocks louder though. I'll try to get a video of the 55g 87U up soon.

*EDIT*

Okay this is driving me insane. Taking it off the RF...
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 18:02:01 by daerid »