Author Topic: MX Red vs. MX Black  (Read 60064 times)

Offline PointyFox

MX Red vs. MX Black
« on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 18:40:35 »
I know what you're thinking, and no, this won't be a thread about "which is better for ____".

I want to know if there is significant difference between the rebound speed of the keys and if anyone is able to rest their hand on keys with MX red and not have them depress accidentally, and if so, is there a special technique or just muscle memory?
Also, how does wear affect MX reds (what will "vintage reds" feel like)?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2013, 18:42:10 by PointyFox »

Offline remmeh

Re: MX Red vs. MX Black
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 18:45:05 »
In my experience blacks rebound faster (i think this is just bc of the spring force)

On stock reds I was able to rest my fingers (albeit lightly) on the keys without accidental depress. Stock reds felt scratchy to me, I only used them for ~6 months before lubing so I wouldn't know what they feel like in a few years.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 18:48:02 »
Oh, also does anyone (after using reds for a while) have a problem where the key does not push their finger up sufficiently after releasing pressure on the key  to deactivate the switch?
(Trying to decide if I should give MX red a second chance  :rolleyes: )

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:00:19 »
Yup, I had that problem.  I also had issues with them sometimes depressing just from my fingers sitting on the keys.  Reds are not for me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:01:16 »
I used blacks quite a bit before I got reds.  I was surprised to discover that I like reds.  At first I was missing keys and pressing down keys without meaning to, but quickly got used to it.  Now I think I like reds at least as much as blacks.

OTOH I got reds about the same time as I got my first Topre board, so my experience is mixed.

QFR with blacks and KeyCool, with reds btw.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:06:29 »
I always felt it was quite painful to type with blacks after 2 hours or so. reds are really nice, occasionally some wrist discomfort from prolonged time. I feel that it all depends on how your fingers type, if you pound on the keys vs typing till barely bottoming out
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline megaxpop

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 00:20:07 »
black is no1

Offline gnubag

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 01:09:36 »
i love reds but if you want that rebound and/or have heavy fingers blacks are the way to go.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 01:21:53 »
Haha I'm using reds with zinc caps on my poker. I feel like if I look at them wrong they will depress. I went from using blacks first to my red zinc combo and tho its a night and day difference, I enjoy using them both equally.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Tony

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 04:26:36 »
Given time, you can adapt to any kind of switch anyway.

I have red, black, brown, blue. Each switch requires different typing techniques which you will soon discover.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 04:33:19 »
With reds I always had accidental keypresses. It really is easy to register a keypress by just touching the key. Browns require the same actuation force , but the feedback prevents you from pressing the keys accidentally.

I never had the problem with reds that it did not sufficiently push my finger up. Honestly after pressing a key I do this myself, all the key does in my experience is snap back into place. Everyone has different typing habits but I do not expect this would be a problem. I have never heard anyone complain about this  and I have never even thought about it when using reds.

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline LordGurciullo

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 05:14:52 »
Same here, Ive had accidental problems with reds. I actually imported my reds like a few years back when you couldn't get em in USA.

For gaming - reds/blacks/topres are the way to go, for multipurpose Id go blacks.

Offline tns

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 05:41:58 »
my weak fingers and especially annular finger can't support blacks

I'm kind of : pianist hands
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 05:44:36 by tns »

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 07:18:50 »
Oh, also does anyone (after using reds for a while) have a problem where the key does not push their finger up sufficiently after releasing pressure on the key  to deactivate the switch?
(Trying to decide if I should give MX red a second chance  :rolleyes: )

This is why I don't like the feel of linear switches at all.  To me, it NEVER feels like they are "springing" back up... They just feel like mush to me.   Apparently a lot of people like it, I absolutely abhor it. 

Tactile feel or bust IMO  :p

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 07:22:30 »
I would love a 50g linear switch,  until then I am going to have to go with reds.

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 08:09:40 »

Hoho, not near. Pianists have strong fingers.

Offline tns

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:30:54 »

Nah my fingers are really thin ~~ and I'm so bad at billard

edit : btw annular finger is still so weak
and for sure larger fingers are stronger than thiner
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 10:36:42 by tns »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:51:06 »
I used MX reds for almost a year...
Took quite some time getting used to em (especially not bottoming out), but after getting the hang of it, typing was nice and felt sorta "effortless" and relaxing.
Anyway, I ended up using ergo-clears for typing, for some reason they feel more "satisfying" to me, the strong bump is kinda like popping bubble wrap *plop*

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:54:29 »
Depends on the reds... for whatever reason a great many of them have been variable for me.  I prefer well worn black stems with lighter springs than some of the new "scratchy" reds I have experienced.

Some reds I have used are not scratchy at all and are quite enjoyable.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline bigx333

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:13:39 »
A lot of people says mx red is the ultimate gaming switch, I find it way too light (pressing space when scoping with an awp is priceless) and it scratchy as hell. I personally prefer mx black anyway.
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:20:49 »
Haha I'm using reds with zinc caps on my poker.
That is a very expensive board. Sounds nice.

To the OP: I have mx reds and I have slight problems with accidental keypress, but nothing serious. I don't rely too much on the keys to push my finger back up, but when I'm gaming, double tapping works perfectly and the key follows my finger up. I tried MX blacks at my local micro center and I didn't like them as much. It all comes down to personal preference, though, because I feel like a lighter keypress means faster typing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:22:39 by xSpartanCx »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:23:24 »

Nah my fingers are really thin ~~ and I'm so bad at billard

edit : btw annular finger is still so weak
and for sure larger fingers are stronger than thiner

Need more magnesium in your diet. D:.

As a pianist you need stronger fingers, my fingers almost have muscles on them from playing woodwinds/violin/ and piano. so hard to get stronger fingers with wide hands though
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 01:09:38 »
I tend to bottom out everything I use - blues, reds, blacks, Topre.

I am looking forward to getting these Model M keyboards I recently acquired working so I can bottom out on those too :))

The funny thing is when I get to work and start using the reds, I miss Topre.  Doesn't take long to acclimatise.

Then when I get home and start using Topre, I miss MX reds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ___q

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 04:25:42 »
I tend to bottom out everything I use - blues, reds, blacks, Topre.

I am looking forward to getting these Model M keyboards I recently acquired working so I can bottom out on those too :))

The funny thing is when I get to work and start using the reds, I miss Topre.  Doesn't take long to acclimatise.

Then when I get home and start using Topre, I miss MX reds.

I do the opposite of this -- I switch from using MX blacks  (or clears or whatever) at home to using topres at work and think "these topres are way nicer", but then when I get home and switch keyboards back I think "these MX blacks are way nicer"...

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 05:31:15 »
The real question is not if you should go MX Red or Black, but what kind of springs you should use in with your black stems ;)
I have found blacks to be much smoother than reds with the same springs, so that is why I would always recommend using blacks and then just change the springs.
I use 65g springs in my blacks, mostly because I like the feeling of stock blacks but feel they are too strong for prolonged use. Red springs is fine, but not as fun as blacks, I have never really experienced any problems using red springs, it actually felt much more natural for me to type on reds than on blacks (or any other switch for that matter).