Author Topic: [IC] GMK Muted 2  (Read 134324 times)

Offline Scriba

Re: [IC] GMK Muted 2
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 09:17:31 »
I am correct that the gray tones in GMK minimal differ significantly from the tones in GMK modo light?

At least that is the conclusion I have seen in a direct comparison.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 09:26:56 »
Then that's a pass, not adding 5-6€ on an already very low demand kit for the sake of 3 people. Sorry!

Surely that would be more than 3 people, but then that's your call.
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 09:38:45 »

• I think you could perhaps even get away with moving the purse locks to the Extension kit? Although, I guess they play into the charm of this set, so Krelbit is probably going to be against that. (Heck, I'm a fan of purse locks myself; but I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea.)

I'd personally like to see at least non-stepped purse caps lock remain in the base, I've never been a big fan of the way icon only caps lock looks.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 09:39:26 »
Then that's a pass, not adding 5-6€ on an already very low demand kit for the sake of 3 people. Sorry!

So far a total of three (3) people from Iceland have ordered from my store since I've opened it in April of this year, so yeah, I'm not really convinced that there is a crowd there that really needs Icelandic support in one keyset.

Offline Zylkan

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 09:50:01 »

So far a total of three (3) people from Iceland have ordered from my store since I've opened it in April of this year, so yeah, I'm not really convinced that there is a crowd there that really needs Icelandic support in one keyset.
I'm not from Iceland...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 09:57:07 »
the days of r4 supremacy are over sadge
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 10:04:10 »

I'm not from Iceland...

I know, but Iceland was listed as one of the two countries that would benefit from such an Extension.

Offline MicroPepega

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 10:05:56 »

Perhaps since Portuguese would also benefit, it would be useful to consider people in Portugal and Brazil as well...

Offline heyimpanda

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 10:12:17 »
no mod colored tilde pepeHands

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 10:20:31 »
Would be cool if you could get Nathan to make sleeves an addon kit for this set

I second this

Offline ArKanToS

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 11:04:08 »

Well, I'm sure you had at least one from the UK and that doesn't mean I don't want/need some Portuguese caps.

For an extra 5€ would be an awesome addition if you would ask me.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 11:12:47 »
of course this gets posted AFTER I buy Retro Muted from Originative  :-X

Offline Lormania

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 12:13:13 »
It is refreshing to see the changes made from the feedback and in a short matter of time! I was going to buy it anyway but the new changes have me more excited! I will however throw my name in the hat for text + icon mods as a separate kit :D

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 12:19:54 »

I second this

He said on his stream yesterday that he was planning on a standalone set to go with Mr. Sleeves but has scrapped those plans in favor of the add-on kit to run around the same time as this.

Offline titanium

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 12:23:25 »
I am correct that the gray tones in GMK minimal differ significantly from the tones in GMK modo light?

At least that is the conclusion I have seen in a direct comparison.

I assume you mean GMK Muted, since Minimal is straight white.
We can only base off the renders/sample colors from Modo Light but from that, it appears to have a cooler tone and lower contrast than Muted which appears to be brighter and higher contrast between alpha/mods.
Another big difference in my opinion is the OG icons of Muted vs the janglad mods.

Absolutely love the new extension kit, would appreciate an extra inclusion of 1c and 1.5c but still going to buy it as is!

Offline NixieTea

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 12:38:50 »
The kitting is overall great, but as one of the (seemingly few) people who dislikes R5, this is a major letdown. I don’t mind buying an extra kit, but not having the option at all really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline titanium

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 12:46:00 »
The kitting is overall great, but as one of the (seemingly few) people who dislikes R5, this is a major letdown. I don’t mind buying an extra kit, but not having the option at all really sucks.

I personally prefer the r5 row but understand where you're coming from. To my knowledge, sherry's GB run has R4 row albeit with all text mods, you can check it out here: https://www.originativeco.com/products/muted-retro

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 13:08:51 »

Perhaps since Portuguese would also benefit, it would be useful to consider people in Portugal and Brazil as well...

The NordeUK++ kit in the previous graphic added support for the Portuguese (Portugal) layout; the Portuguese (Brazil) layout is quite different. See http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/Interactive-Comparator-of-Different-National-Layouts/?left=ptPT&right=ptBR

Offline upas

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:15:26 »
This may be

But can we add mod tilde and mod pipe into the extension kit?

I understand why the decision was made to not put it in the base kit, but the extension kit has many other keys that sometimes end up in base kits, I think it might be a good spot.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:17:41 »
Absolutely love the new extension kit, would appreciate an extra inclusion of 1c and 1.5c but still going to buy it as is!

Do you mean 1.25c instead of 1.5c? The latter: a) is only used on ergo boards; b) GMK doesn't have molds for it.

Offline Parasidious

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:39:14 »
So stoked for this.

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:39:30 »
Mod tilde goes on a lot of split backspace 60% layouts.  I can understand the though that \ is an alpha key, but ` acts like the corner for split layout boards to provide the nice visual symmetry.

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:46:08 »
I noticed the keyboard renders showing the Page Up and Page Dn keycaps in Oblotzky's "Page Up" and "Page Down" format of two lines BUT the Base Kits are shown as "Pg Up" and "Pg Dn" on one line.

Also in the International Kits show the "Alt Gr" mods as R4 BUT should they not be R5 like in the Base Kits and Extension Kits.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline n.rdy

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:53:15 »
This may be
Show Image

I understand why the decision was made to not put it in the base kit, but the extension kit has many other keys that sometimes end up in base kits, I think it might be a good spot.

this.

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 14:55:01 »
i would like mod pipe and mod tilde

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:19:52 »
I noticed the keyboard renders showing the Page Up and Page Dn keycaps in Oblotzky's "Page Up" and "Page Down" format of two lines BUT the Base Kits are shown as "Pg Up" and "Pg Dn" on one line.

Also in the International Kits show the "Alt Gr" mods as R4 BUT should they not be R5 like in the Base Kits and Extension Kits.

Those are fresh changes to the kits. The board renders probably just haven't been updated yet. See the below post from Oblotzky:

Also R5 is now the default bottom row profile. We decided the interest is sufficient, and instead of having an addon kit that offers the same keys in a different shape, we rather want that additional kit to expand coverage for more layouts.
And changed Page Up/Page Down to Pg Up/Pg Dn.
Show Image

[...]

International, same but different (modifiers are now R5 instead of R4)
Show Image

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:22:13 by konstantin »

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:29:11 »
The new kitting and R5 is great!

EDIT: Also, the M keys are sweet
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2020, 16:01:35 by hkhawk »

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:35:16 »
LETS GOOOOOO!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:45:36 »
BUT the Base Kits are shown as "Pg Up" and "Pg Dn" on one line.

Shh, it looks better this way.

The kit renders were updated with the new legends and the keyboard renders were not.

Offline bball2

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:50:47 »
I had no clue people were so against the mod colored tilde / pipe. I've always been a big fan of having a symmetrical look. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 15:56:13 »
Wait... no mod colored pipe nor tilde at all?
Poesjuh out.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 16:47:10 »
Please add mod colored Tilde for split BS

Offline manzel

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 16:50:26 »
Yes, finally! And thank you for offering a big base kit.

Can we have a mod-colored tilde please? I don't care if it is in the extension kit or even a kit on its own. As long as it is there. Also, may I ask why you decided to add accent spacekeys? As far as I saw, this was only requested once. And I guess the number of people using accent spacebars (let alone spacekeys) is significantly lower than that of those using mod-colored tilde and pipe.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 17:01:40 »
krelbit said that if you keep asking for mod tilde and mod pipe, he'll add it
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Tyson

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 17:07:26 »
Please add mod colored Tilde for split BS.

Offline n.rdy

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 17:12:25 »
i mean..

I find the whole trend of removing mod color tilde/pipe very concerning. The options should be as exclusive as possible and there are thousands of 60% photos showing people do use these caps. These caps provides symmetry and closure for the right side of the board. Why are designers now forcing their preferences to community members?

Super down for this.

I really hope you add mod tilde & mod pipe (I know you joked about the decision not to include) because frankly with 7 R3 1.75 keys & a mod f13, this kitting seems a bit memey/pretentious just to give worse base value. If you decide you absolutely can't include it in base, please consider adding it to an extension kit (maybe with mono f-row).

I really don't understand the trend of leaving out mod colored pipe and tilde in new sets.
Why don't leave the full basekits alone instead of splitting everything up?
For me, personally, these are essential keys and should not be left out. And then on the other hand adding 6(!) R3 1.75us.
I understand the concept of cutting kits down (which I don't like), but leaving out these keys in a step in the wrong direction for me.

Gotta say I disagree with the removal of mod-coloured tilde (both here, and as a trend), I also think a purple esc is a must. I will be surprised if I see any of the changes people are asking for actually be implemented though. Seems to be that most current/recent ICs are less open to modification than one would hope.

Before modern dolch light I woulda killed for this set, now I'm unsure. R5 lookin' nice though!

Also, kinda funny that this came out at the same time as "muted retro" at originative

Thumbs up for the Norde Kit, very happy to see it becoming somewhat standard for for bigger high-profile runs.

That being said, seeing how quickly design trends catch on in this community, the descision to remove mod colored pipe deserves pushback.
That key has been a no brainer to include in base kits for quite a long time, and every single GMK set I personally own has it.
The reasoning to include it for color-symetrical mods on an ANSI-layout holds a lot of water, for some people more than the reasoning behind other keys, such as
second B without spacebars, a second homing-5 for numpad or F13.
If including keys with a low percentage of usage is a concern due to affordability or whatever reason, consider also trimming down some of the half-dozen capslock options offered in this iteration.

not having a mid colored pipe is a personal attack

edit: hm, maybe detach numpad to separate kit? i wouldn't be mad if R5 was in the base kit either.

+1 expanded accent kit, including F5-F8 and Insert. I believe this would be a significant improvement over the original set.
+1 mod colored tilde and pipe because, well, why would you not include these? Dumb trend. They should only cost another $2-3 and make for a nice symmetrical look on 60% boards.

+1 more for mod colored tilde and pipe. Seven caps lock key alternates get added but not something basic like mod colors on two keys? Lol

Sad to see no mod color tilde and pipe keys.  Thought it was an oversight at first but it apparently was a deliberate decision, which baffles me.  Those keys are used by a lot of people.

Honestly the kitting is a bit weird all around.

mod colored tilde and pipe

I really don't understand the trend of leaving out mod colored pipe and tilde in new sets.
Why don't leave the full basekits alone instead of splitting everything up?
For me, personally, these are essential keys and should not be left out. And then on the other hand adding 6(!) R3 1.75us.
I understand the concept of cutting kits down (which I don't like), but leaving out these keys in a step in the wrong direction for me.

This. Please consider adding them in.

We are giving the kits some more review at this time.

I will still die on the hill of no mod colored tilde and pipe. The set will remain as an icon mods set at this time.

New kitting will arrive in some time. Thank you for your inputs, some of them have even been taken into account.

Why though?  Why some war on mod colored tilde and pipe?

Drop these two so you can support SEVEN R3 1.75u caps? You cover all the bases for what someone might want to put in their caps lock position, but not something that's been in sets for years?

Drop these two so you can support SEVEN R3 1.75u caps? You cover all the bases for what someone might want to put in their caps lock position, but not something that's been in sets for years?

New kitting will arrive in some time.

I read that. I also read the part where he's unwilling to move on this. I'm also not sure why this seems to be a 'trend' in our space right now. You're removed it from Serika, he's doing it here... Dixie talking about it in 8008. Are we really at the point where those two keys are worth removing from the sets? This is the level of optimization required? What if someone uses split backspace... or heaven forbid... PREFERS mod pipe?

Oh, I know... just don't buy it. Sure. I just don't understand why this is a thing.

New kitting will arrive in some time.

Can put all the caps locks and mod tildes and **** in with the spacebars, I don't care. I'll buy the extra kit that has my stepped control, no matter what comes along with it.
Also, please put 1.5u Function somewhere please, cuz I think I either missed it, or it's not in yet. 

OR someone can do a small capped GB for all these keys to get it before the main set even ships. I'll try to get in if someone does it. Can even combine it with the missing keys from Serika 2.

We have 3 extra caps lock keys in the base kit and yet no mod colored tilde and pipe which were probably the most requested on the thread.

no mod colored tilde pepeHands

This may be
Show Image

Mod tilde goes on a lot of split backspace 60% layouts.  I can understand the though that \ is an alpha key, but ` acts like the corner for split layout boards to provide the nice visual symmetry.

i would like mod pipe and mod tilde

I had no clue people were so against the mod colored tilde / pipe. I've always been a big fan of having a symmetrical look. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wait... no mod colored pipe nor tilde at all?
Poesjuh out.

Please add mod colored Tilde for split BS

Can we have a mod-colored tilde please? I don't care if it is in the extension kit or even a kit on its own. As long as it is there. Also, may I ask why you decided to add accent spacekeys? As far as I saw, this was only requested once. And I guess the number of people using accent spacebars (let alone spacekeys) is significantly lower than that of those using mod-colored tilde and pipe.

Please add mod colored Tilde for split BS.

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 17:43:54 »

The accented pastel spacebars is a defining feature of Muted that's why no one was asking for it and it was obviously in the first proposed kitting. It would be like ordering a hamburger and asking them not to forget the burger meat.

Offline Marco071

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 17:58:47 »

Really hope you can make this happen. Love the colors of the sleeves in photo's.

I also have two question for a noobie on keycaps:
1. What is the differents between muted and 9009. Are the mods in muted more grey and 9009 more brown and alphas in muted less white then 9009. Still have to see a GMK sets with my own eyes.
2. Is muted comparable with hammerworks CRP keycaps (based on colors only).

Thanks in advance.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:03:34 »
Thank you for expanding the accent kit!

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:10:23 »
krelbit said that if you keep asking for mod tilde and mod pipe, he'll add it

you're a bad person

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:20:22 »
I think the Base kit is in a perfect spot minus one key. R3 text Control has no place. It's the only purely aesthetic inclusion, other than purse caps lock, yet its inclusion indicates the want to fully support HHKB layout. Include mod colored Tilde for proper HHKB legends/aesthetic, or bounce the R3 Control altogether. 

ps: I guess we could use Delete for split backspace symmetry, but I find the out of place text Control key among icon mods far less aesthetically useful than a mod colored tilde could be.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:23:11 »
Twas the IC before GB, when all through the thread,
not a designer was stirring, not even a reserved.
The renders were hung by the OP with care,
in hopes that St. Krelbit soon would be there.

The posters were nestled all snug in the thread,
while visions of mod colored pipe keys danced in their heads.
And jchan in his 'kerchief, and the posters in their cap,
had just settled their brains for a long interest check.

When out on the OP there arose such a chatter,
The posters sprang from their posts to see what was the matter.
Away to the window Krelbit flew like a flash,
tore open the thread, and threw up the post.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be Krebit.
More rapid than feedback, his keycaps they came,
and he whistled and shouted and called them by name:

"Now Caps Lock! Now Stepped Caps!
Now, Purse and Control!
On, Stepped Purse! On, Stepped Control!
On, Function and Accent Caps Lock!
To the top of the base kit!
To the top of the Add kit!
Now dash away! Dash away!
Dash away all!"

As crying posters that before the wild interest check fly,
when they meet with any feedback, mount to the sky
so up to the original post the coursers they flew,
with the sleigh full of caps locks, and Kreblit too.

But nowhere in sight were mod colored pipes,
As Krelbit then, replied with a slight
No.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:34:25 by Kokaloo »

Offline ubmit

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:33:59 »

Brazilian people wouldn't benefit from this, since ABNT2 and ISO-PT are different layouts
Lyn Whale | KFE CE | Frog | Singa | Dolice | Haus | Kei | Polaris | Prophet | Bongoneko

Offline Taeha Types

• Subscribe to me :D
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:58:46 »
Mr Sleeves will be coming back in full force to accommodate the return of Muted 2. Please don't bug the lube goblin.

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:02:03 »
Please don't bug the lube goblin.

I'm always very cordial to the sickly

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:18:02 »
I think the Base kit is in a perfect spot minus one key. R3 text Control has no place. It's the only purely aesthetic inclusion, other than purse caps lock, yet its inclusion indicates the want to fully support HHKB layout. Include mod colored Tilde for proper HHKB legends/aesthetic, or bounce the R3 Control altogether. 

ps: I guess we could use Delete for split backspace symmetry, but I find the out of place text Control key among icon mods far less aesthetically useful than a mod colored tilde could be.

It's not like you're only allowed to use it on HHKB layout. I use r3 control on all my boards because it's so much more comfortable to use. Nothing about it necessitates other keys or any of these compromises you're suggesting.

Offline wil

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:22:28 »
feeling bad about no mod pipe/tilde but noticed 2 3u spacebars so it balances out. cheers

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:25:12 »

It's not like you're only allowed to use it on HHKB layout. I use r3 control on all my boards because it's so much more comfortable to use. Nothing about it necessitates other keys or any of these compromises you're suggesting.

Well of course we bind Control to that key, but using the Control keycap when your board has a regular left Control key is moronically ugly in my opinion. You can put any keycap whereever you want, mix rows and profiles by all means. But you're never going to convince me that R3 Control belongs on any layout other than hhkb. The conversation is further muddled by the fact that we have icon mods on this keyset, and a text control mixed in is not only moronically ugly like I said, but aesthetically conflicting even on hhkb.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:36:15 »

Really hope you can make this happen. Love the colors of the sleeves in photo's.

I also have two question for a noobie on keycaps:
1. What is the differents between muted and 9009. Are the mods in muted more grey and 9009 more brown and alphas in muted less white then 9009. Still have to see a GMK sets with my own eyes.
2. Is muted comparable with hammerworks CRP keycaps (based on colors only).

Thanks in advance.

I hope someone pipes in to answer this, but I think that Muted really is more gray, as you suggest. It's like a starker and more washed-out gray-white than 9009, which is more cream/beige-coloured.

In that respect, CRP probably resembles 9009 more, since CRP is probably patterned after classic-style Cherry, which is like 9009. I have a CRP set on the way, and I saw it as more of a retro than a Muted. I think Desko would pair well with 9009, for example.

But I'm as curious as you are, so maybe someone will answer.

Offline gnho

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 19:42:04 »
It's clear that the designer works very hard to bring this set back so some people can enjoy it.

The rest can just join the originative GB and get the accent keys here if they want them. Problem solved.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk