Author Topic: Filco 87 keys white carbon  (Read 17593 times)

Offline user888

Filco 87 keys white carbon
« on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 01:01:25 »

Not a real review, but just some remarks and pictures.

In look for another keyboard to fight my wrist problems I bought a WASDKeyboards V2 (my findings here) with blue Cherry MX switches. I use it at the office (I'm a software developer) with great, great pleasure. I like the solid feel, combined with the crispy blue switches. Typing feels like popping bubblewrap. And I have less wrist problems (compared to typing on an Apple wireless keyboard).

But now I decided I needs a second board for at home. It had to be a Filco, to compare to the WASD. Of course also blue Cherry MX switches. I decided to go for a white one. But the standard white Filco's are more like beige/cream colored. And then I found some pictures of a white carbon version. It. Looked. Stunning. To me. KeyboardCo could deliver the case at a price of around 100€. Way to expensive (only the case!).

Then I started to navigate through Diatec's Japanese part of the site where I also found a keyboard with this white carbon case. I mailed them and it wasn't a problem to ship to Europe. It cost me around 140€ including shipping and an additional 40€ for custom. So I ordered a white carbon fiber with Ninja keys.

The keyboard came in a few days after ordering (very quick). The keyboard was in a cardboard box with gold Filco logo and a personal letter was included. To make you feel special. It worked for me. It also came with a dust brush (not on the pictures), keycap puller (actually two, I think a mistake), PS2 adapter, three Filco keys, and 2 Ninja Windows keys (the camera is fitted with two dome window keys to fulfil some requirement for a Microsoft hardware compatibility program).  The key puller is smaller than the WASD key puller by the way, the WASD puller does't fit the ESC key of the Filco.

My idea was to replace the keys with blank white keys and the cable with a white paracord. But I really liked the matte black keys the keyboard came with. The only customization showing on the pictures is that I replaced the home keys with purple ones (to aid the homing of my fingers), but I ordered blank black POM to replace the Ninja keys. As a Mac user I cannot stand the unecessary scrolllock/pagebreak etc keys (what a legacy is that) so blank it is. So the Ninja set will be up for sale in a while (with 2x windows dome, 1x windows Ninja key as I have used one to try to remove the window logo…)

The weight of the keyboard is a bit less than the WASD v2, probably due to the lighter case. The case is superb, I like the slimmer form factor better than the WASD case. The white carbon fiber (not real carbon by the way) is a nice touch, but a real white case would be good enough for me.

The only thing I dislike is the leds. I use my capslock key as backspace and scrollock is even less useful on a Mac than on a PC. So they could be left out. I like the pinhole design of the WASD keyboard better (as in less noticeable).

Now I have to decide which keyboard to use at home, and which at the office…  And now some more pictures.

Offline Belfong

Re: Filco 87 keys white carbon
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 01:44:32 »
There has been many debate about Filco vs WASD V2 and what are your thoughts on this, in terms of using them? I don't have a Filco but I think that the difference wouldn't be a lot because the main feel comes from the key switch, which is Cherry. So, who cares about Filco vs WASD right?

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:55:56 »
IMO Filco is better, firstly it is consistent in quality build and available in many vendors. Plus, you could do lots of mods, such as replacing daughter board with Pegasus or HID Liberation device, official colored case and spherical keyset. More importantly it is cheaper in most variants. I think WASD is like Das Keyboard at its first days, with much marketing hypes. I still keep my Filco 1 after 4 years whilst I sold my WASD after one week.
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline user888

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 03:15:14 »
@Belfong. It's not only the switch but it's also plate mounted vs pcb mounted. Plate mounted = stiffer, and I prefer that (all kinetic energy goes into the switch and not into flexing the pcb).

It's being said that the OEM for both WASD and Filco is Costar, Taiwan. Both plate mounted. The plate looks the same (matte black), but isn't identical (there is a round (mounting?) hole between the backspace and \ key on the Filco). Both keyboards have the same stabilisers and on both keyboards they are greased. The feel of the keyboards is the same, I don't feel any difference. I don't hear any difference (I use blue MX with red/pink o-rings).

I prefer the slimmer case of the Filco
I prefer the customisable keys of WASD
I prefer the look of the matte keys of the Filco
I don't like the quality of the print on the Filco (rub a few time over it and it turns brown, Ninja keys are a half-baked solution I think)
I don't like the glossy/satin finish of the WASD keys (if I understand correctly it is a UV coating causing this)
I prefer the detachable and routable cable on the WASD
I prefer the LEDs on the WASD
I prefer the personal approach of Mr Weyman Kwong of WASD
I prefer the fast shipping of Diatec (vs USPS)

To summarize:

(WASD keys on the Filco)

To me it seems WASD is always innovating and looking for improvements where Filco is a part of Diatec's larger products range (correct me if I'm wrong). I hope in the future WASD will provide a slimmer case, and maybe even a white one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 03:20:21 »
You use caps lock key as backspace?  An unusual configuration!

Very nice looking case though.  With the benefit that the white case will go very well with almost any keycap set :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 04:22:03 »
colemak style.

beats having it in the normal spot so far away from homerow
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline user888

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 04:35:14 »
Yes, Colemak style. I did try the Colemak layout for quite a while. I could quite easily swap between QWERTY and Colemak by using different style of keyboards (Apple keyboards vs mechanical), but instead of relieving muscle strain the lateral finger movements caused more strain.

So I'm back to QWERTY but kept the caps-as-backspace.

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 07:52:54 »
A grey keyset will really finish that board off!

Great to hear that Diatec mails direct to Europe, if asked. I'm dying to get my hands on one of these:

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/kobo/ursshunkei.php

It'll look stunning with their luscious brown doubleshots installed. Not sure about their Astroturf version, but full marks for sheer madness!

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:05:39 »
That's nice.  I would want white caps for it though.  Hmm couldn't find those on the diatec website.  What other tops do they have?  Can we buy just the tops?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 03:10:10 »
Looks  great! I think it would look even better with some white PBT keys.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 03:23:10 »
Very nice looking case though.  With the benefit that the white case will go very well with almost any keycap set :)

So true, plus you're dealing with a Filco that will take any kind of Key-set designed here on Geekhack and made at SP, GMK and BSP.

This is what makes a Filco so flexible with almost any type of keyboard layout and colourway available.  I really like the "White woven fabric" design of the case it's just so nice and classical in nature that it will last a long time.

The op needs to get a Dolch key-set happening as soon as possible  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2014, 03:28:32 by Elrick »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 03:37:33 »
Looks really good.   However iam still partial to the beige.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline amos5606

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 11:13:18 »
it's beautiful.
blank keycaps may make it better!
What will fill your hearts with delight ,,

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 05:23:03 »
You use caps lock key as backspace?  An unusual configuration!

Just a FYI, $215 AUD :)
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline CatNip :3

• bouncy bouncy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 23:21:11 »
That row of purple keycaps looks absolutely stunning. :o

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 23:24:57 »
It's being said that the OEM for both WASD and Filco is Costar, Taiwan.

Just a note, since it's frequently brought up about both Filco and QFR made by Costar too:  Costar is not a single factory.  It's more of a middleman that contracts a number of different factories.  So just made by Costar does not automatically mean made in the same place with the same quality control.  Filcos are made at their top tier factory(ies).  Not sure about WASD V2.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline travisjason

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 12:17:59 »
That is one pretty keyboard

Offline osi

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 12:27:44 »
I like the case

Offline Reckthor

• PC Stuff
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:54:58 »
Now that's a good looking keyboard

Offline lunr

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 18:07:08 »
If anyone is curious... white key caps. It looks smashing.

57089-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 18:10:54 »

(Attachment Link)

+1

Not white LEDs though?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lunr

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:44:18 »

(Attachment Link)

+1

Not white LEDs though?

Do you mean the blue LEDs? I believe Filco only comes out with blue and red depending on what switch you get.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 17:32:27 »

(Attachment Link)

+1

Not white LEDs though?

Do you mean the blue LEDs? I believe Filco only comes out with blue and red depending on what switch you get.

They can be swapped ...

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 20:46:58 »
White LEDs would look really nice with that board ^_^
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline lunr

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 22:38:53 »

(Attachment Link)

+1

Not white LEDs though?

They can be swapped ...

Ah, I did not know that, good to hear. I guess there's probably some soldering involved for switching LEDs so I'll just leave it. Blue looks great to me :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 22:42:00 »
They can be swapped ...

Ah, I did not know that, good to hear. I guess there's probably some soldering involved for switching LEDs so I'll just leave it. Blue looks great to me :)

That's cool - it is YOUR keyboard :)

If you do ever decide to swap them, there are lots of knowledgeable people around here who have already done a similar thing.