Author Topic: RedScarf III (USA ONLY!)  (Read 62603 times)

Offline blighty

Re: RedScarf III (USA ONLY!)
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:16:08 »
How many people joined the buy/total orders?  Thanks for doing this!  I wouldn't of had the patience to go through a taobao agent for this...
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:18:07 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:19:59 »
Bummed I missed this, but don't have the money.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:23:17 »
20 people, one board each. Since there wasn't as many orders as I had guessed, odds are I should be fine to do 10 or so people's assembly.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:25:07 »
20 people, one board each. Since there wasn't as many orders as I had guessed, odds are I should be fine to do 10 or so people's assembly.

Now I'm really bummed haha

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:52:25 »
I ordered one before you started this group buy. but it wont ship till the 10th of feb =(

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:36:05 »

To my knowledge the boards already come with smd parts pre-soldered right?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:53:42 »

correct

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:54:22 »

correct
Cool, I am not confident enough to do smd parts so that is great that I only have to do leds and switches

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:56:17 »
I ordered one before you started this group buy. but it wont ship till the 10th of feb =(
I did the same and since Ivan was US only it's fine . But I go an extra 40 days delay for the lower top part u_u .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:05:18 »
We will also need stabilizers for this. no?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:15:18 »

Yes, if you don't already have stabilizers on hand. Cherry PCB mount.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:47:35 »

With the plate aren't we supposed to use Plate mount stabs ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:51:44 »
sooo... where do I buy those 0.0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:55:46 »

With the plate aren't we supposed to use Plate mount stabs ?

Nope, plate is designed with holes for clearance of PCB mounted stabilizers, as are most Korean designs.

Where to buy stabilizers? That's a good question. Look for Cherry part number G99-0224 for 2-unit stabs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:00:46 »
Just to verify. Plate mount switches. Correct?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:04:11 »

If you use the plate. But that is optional. Otherwise PCB mount are fine with or without a plate.

in memoriam

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:11:11 »

If you use the plate. But that is optional. Otherwise PCB mount are fine with or without a plate.

JD, so with pcb mount switches, do they still fit snug into the plate but minus the clips that snap into the plate? If they fit just as well, it would almost make more sense to get pcb mount switches for easy removal? thanks

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:12:33 »
I did buy the plate. So I'll buy plate mounted then. Do you know if the plate is notched at all?

Offline feizor

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:13:14 »

Whenever the PCBs have the little holes for the plastic pegs on the PCB mount switches, I would prefer to use PCB mount switches, more stability and stays in place better when assembling.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:24:35 »

Whenever the PCBs have the little holes for the plastic pegs on the PCB mount switches, I would prefer to use PCB mount switches, more stability and stays in place better when assembling.

Looks like this pcb does have the holes:

Offline feizor

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:29:51 »

Show Image

Picture link doesn't work for me.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:30:49 »

Show Image

Picture link doesn't work for me.

I got the pic from KBDMania so it might be hosted in Korea, are you Country CIDR blocked or something possibly?

EDIT - i uploaded it to imgur for ya just in case =)

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:34:18 by digi »

Offline feizor

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:39:00 »
Thanks, yep you are right, the two little black holes on each side of the main hole (the ones without the electrical contact pads) are the holes I'm talking about where the pegs of the PCB mount switches fit in.

The little stablising pegs are the only difference between PCB and plate mount switches AFAIK.

Edit: misread your first post.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:06:49 »

JD, so with pcb mount switches, do they still fit snug into the plate but minus the clips that snap into the plate? If they fit just as well, it would almost make more sense to get pcb mount switches for easy removal? thanks

PCB mount switches snap into the plate exactly the same as plate mount switches do. The only difference at all are the two little plastic pegs on the bottom housing that fit into the holes in the PCB.

You can always use a plate, regardless of whether the PCB supports PCB mount switches or plate mount switches. If the PCB supports plate mount switches only (as in the JD40, or most production PCBs, you would need to clip off the two plastic pegs from the switch to allow a PCB mount switch to be installed. But since the Red Scarf III PCB supports PCB mount switches, you can use either. If you use PCB mount switches, you can use a plate, but it's not required.

Clear as mud? Thought so. :)

in memoriam

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:14:18 »

PCB mount switches snap into the plate exactly the same as plate mount switches do. The only difference at all are the two little plastic pegs on the bottom housing that fit into the holes in the PCB.

You can always use a plate, regardless of whether the PCB supports PCB mount switches or plate mount switches. If the PCB supports plate mount switches only (as in the JD40, or most production PCBs, you would need to clip off the two plastic pegs from the switch to allow a PCB mount switch to be installed. But since the Red Scarf III PCB supports PCB mount switches, you can use either. If you use PCB mount switches, you can use a plate, but it's not required.

Clear as mud? Thought so. :)

good to go, thanks mang.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:31:34 »
Thanks for clarifying it all JD!  :)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 03:03:23 »
Damn so I just bought Plate mounted for nothing .
Gon has PCB mounted.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:58:18 »
Clarified further:

All PCBs will work with EITHER PCB or Plate mount switches.
If you PCB only "supports" Plate mount you'll have to cut the legs on your PCB mount switches to get them to fit.
You can always use a plate on any kb so long as the case allows room.

Edit: If someone decides they don't have time to build this, or want to sell theirs kit or built, Hit Me UP (HMU)
Please.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 12:31:15 »
I am going plate mounted. I don't plan on switching out springs any time soon. 62g Ergos will have to do. But what I would like to know if the plate is notched. I would like to do a SIP socket mod on it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 12:34:52 »
I am going plate mounted. I don't plan on switching out springs any time soon. 62g Ergos will have to do. But what I would like to know if the plate is notched. I would like to do a SIP socket mod on it.

There is a photo of the plate in the OP and it looks like it is not notched.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 12:38:59 »
I know this keyboard isn't Korean, it's Chinese, but it seems to follow Korean keyboard design philosophy.

- Plate optional. All switches and stabilizers can be PCB mounted.
- Plate uses large holes for stabilizers, to allow for clearance of the PCB mounted stabilizers, but not for plate mounting stabilizers.
- Plate uses standard square Cherry MX switch holes, with no openings for switch cover removal.

in memoriam

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:27:21 »
Yes, PCB mount stabs only for sure. The plate clearly doesn't support plate mount types. As for switch, unless you already have plate mount on hand to use up, I would strongly recommend to choose PCB mount. Even with plate, PCB mount type will add extra help to ensure they are installed in proper alignment which may be important in some areas where the plate won't hold all 4 side of switch.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:30:42 »
Yes, PCB mount stabs only for sure. The plate clearly doesn't support plate mount types. As for switch, unless you already have plate mount on hand to use up, I would strongly recommend to choose PCB mount. Even with plate, PCB mount type will add extra help to ensure they are installed in proper alignment which may be important in some areas where the plate won't hold all 4 side of switch.

I am going to have Thechemist do a lot of the work on the keyboard since he did such an amazing job on my poker. this is what he said.

"Well plate and pcb are the same, the only thing they differ is two legs on the pcb mount switch. If your keyboard supports both, the pcb mount will be more sturdy since the two legs insert into the pcb and also get supported by the plate. The only drawback is pcb / plate design / precision, if your plate is offset just a bit the plate mount can compensate for the difference but if you use the pcb mount switches they insert very tightly into the pcb and may cause clearance problems / alignment issues, just an fyi."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:33:48 »

I am going to have Thechemist do a lot of the work on the keyboard since he did such an amazing job on my poker. this is what he said.

"Well plate and pcb are the same, the only thing they differ is two legs on the pcb mount switch. If your keyboard supports both, the pcb mount will be more sturdy since the two legs insert into the pcb and also get supported by the plate. The only drawback is pcb / plate design / precision, if your plate is offset just a bit the plate mount can compensate for the difference but if you use the pcb mount switches they insert very tightly into the pcb and may cause clearance problems / alignment issues, just an fyi."

Yep, he knows. That's exactly right.

in memoriam

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 17:07:58 »

Good to know. I guess we'll have to wait and see how close the plate lines up to the pcb before buying switches, huh.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 17:30:40 »

Good to know. I guess we'll have to wait and see how close the plate lines up to the pcb before buying switches, huh.

Ivan is right that PCB are more sturdy. So you can wait to see if in lines up if you want, but I want all my stuff made asap. So I just ordered the plate mounted ones.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 17:40:22 »
Ivan is right that PCB are more sturdy. So you can wait to see if in lines up if you want, but I want all my stuff made asap. So I just ordered the plate mounted ones.

Sort of. :)

I've never noticed any lack of stability or sturdiness with switches mounted to a plate and soldered into a PCB.

in memoriam

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 17:59:30 »

Sort of. :)

I've never noticed any lack of stability or sturdiness with switches mounted to a plate and soldered into a PCB.

That's a good point. I would prefer to use PCB switches if I know that the plate lines up perfectly but TheChemist really brought up a great point. If it's off slightly, pcb mounted switches might cause more pain than it's worth.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 12:53:42 »
How close is this keyboard in size comparison to a normal TKL? asking because Noko is making a wrist rest soon and I need to tell her the size.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:09:27 »
How close is this keyboard in size comparison to a normal TKL? asking because Noko is making a wrist rest soon and I need to tell her the size.

If its near the same size of a Lightsaver (which I believe it is), a TKL wrist rest should work fine. I used a Filco TKL wrist rest with my Lightsaver V2 and it was perfect.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:45:01 »

Back when I had a Code my Lightsaver was only about .5in longer.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 07:56:45 »
If anyone needs to sell their order, I'm your guy!!! xD
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 13:41:34 »
If anyone needs to sell their order, I'm your guy!!! xD

NO I AM!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 15:30:33 »
I have one extra... if someone wants to pick this up it would be great. Please post here so everyone knows it's been claimed. First come, first serve with immediate payment.
1 8mm kit silver, no plate, grey feet.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 10:55:33 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 11:22:33 »
Got it!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 18:19:58 »
Got it!
Lol that was pretty quick.

Gone before I even saw Ivan had an extra  :p
null

Offline Shanghaied

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:44:43 »
Anyone know if the manual for this has been posted anywhere yet? Bought this through a Taobao proxy and have been twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to arrive.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 16:35:10 »
Anyone know if the manual for this has been posted anywhere yet? Bought this through a Taobao proxy and have been twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to arrive.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=31260

Hopefully he'll come back with a manual soon :)

I mailed him about it .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Shanghaied

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 17:10:12 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=31260

Hopefully he'll come back with a manual soon :)

I mailed him about it .

Yeah I saw that, but just wanted to start planning before the board arrives. Though I guess I'll have plenty of time since it will ship on the 10th of February, awaiting the arrival of the bezel. Fingers crossed that this won't get caught up and delayed by the the huge logistical mess that is the Chinese New Year.

Also, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else on the English-speaking internet, but the seller says on enjoyclick (Chinese mech board) that the PCB is compatible with what I assumed to be lightsaver II case (duck96 he called it), except for the location of one screw. Should be interesting.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:18:43 »
Kinda early but, any chance of a round 2 soon? or anyone got a spare?
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)