Author Topic: Opinions on a new keyboard purchase  (Read 1438 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Opinions on a new keyboard purchase
« on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 02:32:40 »
I have tried about 1/2 dozen keyboards with varying results.  However they have all been boards with light switches and a tactile action.  I currently own a Poker 3 LED, and this defers from the rest with ABS keycaps which originally I didn't like, but ultimately have become my favorite.

As anybody who frequents this site knows the quest for more keyboards is never complete, and I am itching to buy a new keyboard, even though this poker could be considered my "endgame."  There is just nothing else that I really need or desire in a keyboard.  However the Leopold FC660, with cherry brown switches piques my interest.  I do like the dedicated arrow keys even though I have become  used to the arrows underneath a function layer.  Does anybody who owns both boards have an opinion, or can they comment on the Leopold board or brand in general?  Thanks. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Opinions on a new keyboard purchase
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 03:07:01 »
You don't like light tactiles yet are eying up another board with browns?  A heavier switch with a heavier cap will feel lighter, just a thought :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 03:15:49 »
Maybe I just did not state my position clearly.  I do prefer light tactiles.  I've tried Cherry Clears and some other heavier switches and finger fatigue happens rather quickly.  I like when your fingers "float' on the keys and never bottom out.  I therefore prefer Cherry Browns as well as Gateron Browns, which feel lighter and I sometimes bottom out on. So yes Cherry Browns are probably my favorite.  I do want to try all of these generic switches like Kaihl and whatnot, but unless you have a friend that has one it becomes expensive and counterproductive. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 21:02:12 »
I used to have a FC660M. Very nice keyboard for the price, had some good weight to it and felt very sturdy. The caps it comes with are thick and a nice profile. The only real problem is the right shift which is really just another left shift. Makes swapping keysets a lot harder, though if you don't plan on doing that much or at all, it sounds like a good board for you.

With regards to Cherry browns, I prefer both Gaterons and Greetechs to new cherry switches, and Cherry browns are a pretty junky feeling switch overall
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 21:13:22 »
I'm grabbing the Smart68 so I can hot swap different types of switches. 

They keyboard itself might not hold up forever due to the design, but at least I'll be able to figure out what kind of switch will be in my next keyboard after that!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 02:13:18 »
Have you tried an HHKB?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 18:57:43 »
I've read a lot about Happy Hacking boards and I can't say that they are for me.  I'd love to try one out and make a more definitive decision, but buying one just to try it seems cost prohibitive.  There are many more switches and boards that I haven't tried than I have tried, but for now Cherry MX Browns make me happy.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 04:04:40 »
If you like MX Browns you'll like SKCM Orange/SKCM Salmon ALPS, or an easier option is the Matias Quiet Clicks.

Imagine a more tactile, smoother, and stiffer. MX Brown.