geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Steezy60: Alps and SMK 60% PCB with split space support and more

(1/15) > >>

Applet:
Intro:
This project originated as making a SMK and a Alps PCB with split space support and Cherry PCB mount stabilizers as I recently fell in love with split space, and then it grew a bit out of hand. :D I wanted to try and squeeze in a big support for different layouts, while being able to give the same layout support for both the Alps PCB and the SMK PCB, mostly as a fun challenge for myself. I have always liked the versatility of 60% and how some do some creative/funky layouts. I know some do not like the "swiss cheese"-PCB's. See this as an alternative, for a cleaner PCB with less layout support, there are other great PCB's like the Plain60 Alps Edition and Alps64. This is more like a DZ60 but for Alps and SMK switches. I also added the possibility to put a Cherry MX switch on 7u space and 6.25u space positions on the SMK PCB. This to be able to put a silenced MX switch there (i dislike loud spacebars).

Specs:

* QMK-support
* VIA-support with limited layout options
* ATmega32U2 (both QFN and QFP)
* ESD-protection
* Polyfuse
* USB-C
* Standard tray-mount
* Standard daughter board connector (unified daughterboard)
* Underglow using 12qt WS2812B
* GH60 horizontal USB placement (like plain60, voyager60 etc)Layout support:

Renders of PCB:

Github-repo:
Steezy60: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60
Files are available on my Github if someone wants to use them, but please realize I take no responsibility. Designed in Altium 20.

QMK-link:
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/4pplet/steezy60

Current method for flashing:
If you want to reprogram it using VIA:
1: Make sure you have the VIA-compatible firmware flashed (make 4pplet/steezy60/rev_a:via)
2: Connect PCB/keyboard to PC
3: Open VIA
4: Now you should be able to change keymap etc in via

If you want to reprogram it using QMK:
1: Follow official guide to setup QMK
3: Run make command from root folder: "make 4pplet/steezy60/rev_a:default"
4: Connect PCB and press button to enter DFU
5: Depending on system, use suitable programmer (dfu/flip etc) to flash PCB
6: Make modifications to code and reflash

Files for manufacturing:
JLC can do most of the assembly (probably cheapest for low volume), but you'll likely need to solder the MCU yourself.

The PCB can be built in three different configurations. Tray mount with USB-C connector or daughterboard connector in two different places. Make sure to select BOM depending on which configuration is needed.

SMK Rev A4: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60/releases/tag/A5_SMK
ALPS Rev A4: https://github.com/4pplet/Steezy60/releases/tag/A5_ALPS

suicidal_orange:
That is a lot of layout options, really helpful putting the BOM on the silkscreen too - good work!

One question: why is D215 in the bottom corner, is that where split backspace is in the matrix?  Just preparing to help an enthusiastic newbie with poor soldering skills somewhere down the line :))

Applet:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sat, 23 November 2019, 03:40:17 ---That is a lot of layout options, really helpful putting the BOM on the silkscreen too - good work!

One question: why is D215 in the bottom corner, is that where split backspace is in the matrix?  Just preparing to help an enthusiastic newbie with poor soldering skills somewhere down the line :))

--- End quote ---
Thanks!  :D Yes, that is correct, D215 is for the split backspace, well spotted!

Split backspace switch is placed on the bottom row in the matrix, I have since updated the numbering on the diodes a bit (not reflecting switch position, only reflecting position in the 14x5 matrix). I updated the main post with current diode numbering on Alps-PCB. Same numbering will be on SMK PCB.

If anyone have tips for improvement, I gladly take feeback on the design

4sStylZ:
Hi Applet. Curently there is no PCB for AEK2 ISO, I don’t know exactly why but this can be very cool to have this layout supported.

Applet:

--- Quote from: 4sStylZ on Mon, 25 November 2019, 03:23:17 ---Hi Applet. Curently there is no PCB for AEK2 ISO, I don’t know exactly why but this can be very cool to have this layout supported.

--- End quote ---
The ISO AEK2 is very different, everything is shifted. I've been planning to check out the possibility for making a 60% AEK2 ISO PCB since I also noticed there are no boards, but that will most likely be a separate project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version