geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

SSD capacity

<< < (7/15) > >>

Leslieann:
NAS and file servers...
Telling, you guys, sooo much easier and nicer.

24/7 access, remote access, smaller main system, lower power consumption (due to not leaving your power hungry desktop running all the time) also lets you offload work and things such as backup from your desktop...
And you can build it out of almost any spare hardware, I've even used tablets and laptops.

Axiom_:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 24 November 2023, 11:55:29 ---NAS and file servers...
Telling, you guys, sooo much easier and nicer.

24/7 access, remote access, smaller main system, lower power consumption (due to not leaving your power hungry desktop running all the time) also lets you offload work and things such as backup from your desktop...
And you can build it out of almost any spare hardware, I've even used tablets and laptops.

--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more, NAS really is the way to go.

phinix:
I dont need NAS. I do not use this drive most of the time, I mean only if I want to watch old movie, or save some new ones on it.

Mandan:
I had a 500Gb SSD die recently.  I popped it open and it had four 125Gb chips in it.  Just at that density, there was enough room for at least four terabytes of chips.  The drive was neither new nor expensive; I expect density is much  higher now.

TomahawkLabs:
I love the M.2 form factor. My PC is rather robust as far as storage goes, but my 2x 1Tb NVMe drives work so well, require no cabling for power or data and are faster than my SATA drives. I hope we see a big push from Mobo manufactures for 2-3 M.2 slots on boards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version