Author Topic: [IC] PLA75 - GB Begins Friday Sept 27  (Read 51092 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
[IC] PLA75 - GB Begins Friday Sept 27
« on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:26:55 »
Hi all, I'm back with a new design I've been cooking up - the PLA75

So, whats unique about this one amidst the million running GBs?

1. Gasket mount - I've implemented a 12 gasket mounting system using standard gasket stock (easily replaceable) for plate isolation and a unique sound profile.

2. 3D printed in PLA. This is some of the best sounding material (just a hair denser than polycarbonate, but the fact that it doesn't have to be solid allows for hollow segments that sound really great. The same techniques were used on the ADK64).

2.5 - This also means that production time for these is quite fast. I'm shooting for < 2 months from GB start to fulfillment, which was achieved with the ADK64.

3. Uses the KBD75 PCB, so you get fancy lights, QMK, USB-C, and a really good price.

4. Plates made from FR4

5. Seamless design - implementing the gaskets forced me to think differently about mounting, so the bottom piece is encased by the top piece, offering a solid and seamless design.

6. Variety in case tops - I'm currently designing more case tops to allow for further customization. Simple geometric (as pictured), as well as chamfered, filleted and a vent design will be availiable come GB.

Oh, and this one is going to be very affordable - $185/kit

My rendering software is a little lackluster, but I've got some rudimentary renders and screenshots for you to take a look at the design - this is still being worked on, so if this is something that piques your interest, please offer up some suggestions for what you'd like to see. I'm going to be getting a prototype made in the coming weeks, and you can expect a GB after that.

I've got a form here to be notified when the GB starts https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VkgtQaPXIPRx9J6Xse1AHdxa1se8oO-2yNsyoeQKka0

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 13:53:26 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline gnhuy91

Re: [IC] PLA75 - Gasket Mounted 75%
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:32:35 »
Interested! I would like to see WKL blockers on the top case (similar to singa) and staggered F row

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:36:35 »
Interested! I would like to see WKL blockers on the top case (similar to singa) and staggered F row

I'm a WK man myself so I totally overlooked this. This should be a breeze to add and you can consider it an option.

Offline walie

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:46:15 »
Nice! Will you be working with Keyboardbelle again for this?

Offline Xitir

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:50:55 »
I also would love to see a staggered F row as well! Not sure if that's possible since it uses the KBD75 PCB, but I think it improves the aesthetics of 75% boards a ton.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:57:26 »
Nice! Will you be working with Keyboardbelle again for this?

You bet! And we can expect the print quality on this one to be much nicer, since it doesn't have the curves like the ADK64 - straight lines are much easier to get a smooth print with.

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 20:23:40 »
Would you be able to add slits on the bottom sides the case so it can allow light to shine through solid color cases?  Something like what KeyHive is selling for the UT47.2 case.

Sample 1
Sample 2

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 21:35:19 »
Looking forward to a prototype.  Interesting

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 21:46:50 »
Would you be able to add slits on the bottom sides the case so it can allow light to shine through solid color cases?  Something like what KeyHive is selling for the UT47.2 case.

Sample 1
Sample 2

Yeah, that's something I can implement if there is big demand for a solid color. I was thinking we could do a carbon fiber filament  :cool:

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 23:36:14 »
200$ just for the case, or is PCB included? Also your plate is missing ISO support...

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 23:54:07 »
200$ just for the case, or is PCB included? Also your plate is missing ISO support...

Case + PCB + Plate kit for around 200 (price is not confirmed, but its a good estimate)

That's just a placeholder plate I created for getting the case made - I'll generate ANSI, ISO and the weird KBD75 numpad layout plates if there is interest, as well as one off plates for people that want to order separately.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 00:56:54 »
ne corner fillets/roundness avail

Offline corydora

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 02:10:44 »
Liking the look of this! I'd love to see the rounded version in a retro solid colour, like a pale teal, refrigerator style.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 02:16:04 »

ne reasonable bezel size avail
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 02:47:37 »
Interested

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline equalunique

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 08:09:54 »
Need me a 75% layout pcb like this but with split spacebar support

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:01:20 »

ne reasonable bezel size avail

the bezel just got 10 inches thicker.

No, fillets were banned in 2015 up here. Best I can do is like 8 chamfers on the corners.

Offline garbo

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:34:38 »

Ah, but this is PLA so it really has sand-your-own-radius edges. Very innovative.

Seriously, though, the top might be a little underdesigned externally, but the idea of easily produced swappable alternatives is neat and the board in general has the potential to be cool.

I do think there could be more thought put into the finishes on these kinds of cases to make them more desirable as options in the 'mid-range custom keyboard' kind of space this seems to be occupying.
Don't know much about 3d prints but it seems like people are doing some interesting stuff with polishing and coating/painting products in a way that might not be prohibitively expensive.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 10:07:15 »

Ah, but this is PLA so it really has sand-your-own-radius edges. Very innovative.

Seriously, though, the top might be a little underdesigned externally, but the idea of easily produced swappable alternatives is neat and the board in general has the potential to be cool.

I do think there could be more thought put into the finishes on these kinds of cases to make them more desirable as options in the 'mid-range custom keyboard' kind of space this seems to be occupying.
Don't know much about 3d prints but it seems like people are doing some interesting stuff with polishing and coating/painting products in a way that might not be prohibitively expensive.

Yeah, the top is still being designed, so I just have that gaudy oversized one as a placeholder.

I wouldn't worry about finishing on this one. It's not a curve like the ADK, so there shouldn't be any stepping of the printer. I always recommend XTC-3D if people want shiny parts, its not too expensive.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 10:09:57 »
Gasket mount would hopefully counteract what I see as the biggest downside of PLA, which is that the cases are rigid and do not absorb vibration well. I'll be watching how this unfolds.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 03:12:58 »
While you were partying on a Friday, I studied the gasket

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2019, 18:32:58 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 17:37:30 »
While you were parting on a Friday, I studied the gasket

Show Image

gasket-fu

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 12:56:50 »
Just thought I'd give a quick update - I'm getting some models of the gasket well off to Belle so we can make sure everything fits before printing a prototype. Should have those done this weekend when I get some time.

We've sourced 1.6mm POM, so I'll be testing that with the prototype.

Steel for the proto, POM for production.

I'm also getting a Prusa i3 3D printer, so I should be able to speed along development of this and future endeavors from home - then doing production with Belle, rather than relying on her for testing and protos as well - costs much time and intl shipping fees :P

Also, since I am using a stock gasket, I might offer a few different materials in the kit (soft, medium and hard durometer), so that people have ever more customizabilitation.

So yeah, chugging along slowly, I'll hopefully have some cool stuff to show you guys soon. I don't just want to yeet some gaskets in there and call it good, I'm making sure the numbers work out as well.

- Andy

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 11:10:13 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline barrel

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 13:09:07 »
Consider me heccin interested, my favourite layout, easily

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 18:06:51 »
Interested, if ISO support.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 18:27:57 »
Interested, if ISO support.

Most likely. Depending on interest and MOQ for some plate materials I may not be able to provide ISO for all materials, but I certainly can for the stuff were cutting in house like POM.

Also, Belle is experimenting with wood plates. Have a look: https://www.instagram.com/keyboardbelle_prints/?hl=en

(About 12 posts down)

Offline jedidood

• aka neovisual
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 18:49:59 »
Definitely interested.

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 17:09:45 »
I supposed the current kbd75 plates don't work with this board?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 17:11:07 »
No, this has its own custom plate since its mounted with gaskets.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] PLA75 - Gasket Mounted 75% - Gasket samples are here
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 09:13:54 »
Sorry for the slow updates. I've got my printer running and I'm officially kicking this into high gear. I got some samples with plate segments, and printed off a single section of the gasket housing to test the fit - I'm looking for something that leaves the top part of the case slightly above where it needs to be, and the compression from the screws will bring it back down.

Here it is uncompressed:

A decent but not too heavy force is needed to squish everything flat - making the plate float between the gaskets :)

And one more:

I've got a few adjustments to make, and then when I'm happy I'll move onto a full prototype.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 10:30:52 »
Moving along nicely :thumb: Do you have an idea how much space will be left under the PCB? Is there enough space to fit some foam, or is it not neccessary because the acustics will be good even without it?

(also +1 for ISO support for at least some plates)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 10:51:18 »
Moving along nicely :thumb: Do you have an idea how much space will be left under the PCB? Is there enough space to fit some foam, or is it not neccessary because the acustics will be good even without it?

(also +1 for ISO support for at least some plates)

Foam shouldn't be necessary, since I'm sorta nuts about good sounding keyboards, so sound is the main design point - so if that means that foam is needed I will ensure there is space for it, and probably include or build around a common thickness so everyone can get it.

Plates shouldn't be an issue. Once I get the case in full working order I'll mull over some plate layouts. It's basically going to be the battle of "how universal can we get these plates without them being covered in holes." And I've already had a bunch of requests for ISO, so consider it included.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 11:44:36 »
Nice to see this project developing, I am in.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 11:02:11 »

I've been doing some fit testing, and found a perfect tolerance for a dovetail. This means I'll be printing a prototype this weekend (my test printer is smaller than the production ones, so I've gotta split it for now). Found a place in my town that cuts plates, so I don't have to get them shipped in from overseas. 75% PCB, gasket and switches in hand.

I'm hoping to have an actual prototype for people to look at next week, and I ask for some input about the top bezel, as that is the last part that needs refinement. I've been doing a lot of tinkering under the hood, but don't want to clog up the page unless I've got something substantial to report.

So that's where I'm at! Happy Friday and happy Independence/Canada days.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 11:09:19 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] PLA75 - Gasket Mounted 75% - Prototype Rev 0 Done
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 21:22:59 »
Here's half a prototype. I'm pleased that everything fits and lines up, and have found some things I want to change:

• Make the bezel thinner. I will try and keep this as a medium thickness case - not an elephant, and not a low profile one either
  • Make the bezel tighter with the keycaps. Now that I have something to measure, this will be an easy adjustment

Let me know if you have any other suggestions/criticisms/what you like.

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 21:29:54 »
Here's half a prototype. I'm pleased that everything fits and lines up, and have found some things I want to change:

• Make the bezel thinner. I will try and keep this as a medium thickness case - not an elephant, and not a low profile one either
  • Make the bezel tighter with the keycaps. Now that I have something to measure, this will be an easy adjustment

Let me know if you have any other suggestions/criticisms/what you like.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

PLA37.5 can't wait for the finished product :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 23:34:23 »
Hmm, clean design.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 08:28:39 »
The space bar is so interesting.
Hope to hear more viewpoints about it.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 16:01:54 »
One more bezel suggestion: make it more raised, so it actually covers the bottoms of the keycaps properly (mainly visible on the bottom row)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 23:09:29 »
It must just be the angles, and the fact that it isn't tight against the sides of the keycaps. It surely covers all the bottoms as is, but I'll take some more measurements and make sure it really does.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] PLA75 - Gasket Mounted 75% - Final Prototype
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 21:54:38 »
Alright, I return. It's been a few long nights of getting the design perfect after a few iterations, but I've got something I'm really happy with.

My design wishlist is complete:

• Gaskets squish perfectly
  • Bezel size has been reduced
  • Case height has been lowered
  • Case is tight to keycap edges

I'm working on some options for the top bezel, so if you'd rather have some tasteful chamfers or radii on it, l can make that happen.

Now, onto pictures! I'll embed a few here, the rest are in this https://imgur.com/a/wObRsAL

So yeah, I've got the other half printing now. Working on getting pricing and printing established, and I hope to have a GB launched by the end of July!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 22:02:49 »
new proto is a much better shape! any comparison pics between this and the first proto?

Offline badboy731

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 22:36:28 »
wow. looks good so far! cant wait
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 23:29:42 »
Here is the comparison! Much lower, thinner, and a lot of changes under the hood to make everything fit together nicely :D
First image is the top case, and the second is the bottom chassis

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2019, 23:34:22 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 03:33:47 »
That bezel is still pretty huge tbqh  :(

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 04:12:03 »
Love it! I really like DIY stuff at home makes to GB thing. Looking forward fore moar stuff  ^-^

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 09:33:42 »
Last piece of the proto will be done this afternoon, I hope to build it tonight so I can get some sound tests made. Once that's all set and done, I'm going to ask Keyboardbelle for a fullsize production sample (as my home printer can only do half cases), and then off to groupbuy we go!

It is large because it has to cover those mounting tabs on the plate to get everything squished together. I'm going to post some renders of the extra top cases I've been working on when I get home tonight - a nice chamfer and/or some vents can really slim that bezel down - stay posted.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2019, 09:39:16 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 09:41:54 »
I dig the huge bezels. This thing is pretty damn rad.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 09:49:26 »
Last piece of the proto will be done this afternoon, I hope to build it tonight so I can get some sound tests made. Once that's all set and done, I'm going to ask Keyboardbelle for a fullsize production sample (as my home printer can only do half cases), and then off to groupbuy we go!

It is large because it has to cover those mounting tabs on the plate to get everything squished together. I'm going to post some renders of the extra top cases I've been working on when I get home tonight - a nice chamfer and/or some vents can really slim that bezel down - stay posted.
Chamfer would be  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 14:11:11 »
So, mind the seam and the glue marks, as I only have a small prusa for making protos. Production sample is in the works, and that will be solid pieces for the top and bottom.

Glamour shot on a rainy day

Top down. Don't look too closely at the legends on the caps :P

One more for good measure.

I've also been fooling around in CAD at the request of some users for top case options. I can do vents, chamfers, rounds - you name it (and it doesn't affect the structural integrity of the top case too much), I can do it.

Chamfers and vents

Fillets everywhere

So yeah! Get your info in that IC form if you haven't. I spoke with a local shop here and they can do mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium plates - I'm also getting hiney to do me up some FR4 ones as well. I will release the plate files after the GB is closed, so that anyone who wants a more exotic material is free to get it cut (I highly recommend laserboost!).