Author Topic: [IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *Mats added* Retro beige/brown set  (Read 20292 times)

Offline edwyn

• I create stuff for CONCEPT & IDEA
    • CONCEPT & IDEA
[IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *Mats added* Retro beige/brown set
« on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 18:25:07 »
SA Midcentury Modern

IC Form       Discord

Inspiration Journey

Phase One by OpenKey Design (GB ended Oct 24) *accent orange is darker now

Phase One by OpenKey Design (GB ended Oct 24) *accent orange is darker now

Midcentury Modern

Inspired by the futuristic/retro furniture and consumer appliances of the Mid-Century Modern design movement.
The use of warm wood colors and playful accent colors makes for a contrast to the utilitarian designs that
came before

P.S I do have a GMK set also in IC. Was not my intention to run another IC in parallel but did not want to run this
IC after the Phase One GB had ended.  Hope this is ok, if not let me know

Colors

Midcentury Modern Colors

Main colors are a retro beige alpha paired with a milk chocolate brown that represents the popular usage of wood
in furniture and consumer electronics during that period.  Bright orange was selected as the base accent color as it best gives
off the retro vibe. Using all stock SA ABS colors so no color matching issues and can keep costs and time to a minimal

Comparisons Color Ring

I understand there are quite some similarities with SA Carbon with the main difference being the usage of brown
for the mods for the warm woodsy vibe instead of the industrial grey. Also the beige selected looks a bit less "yellowed" giving
the impression that it is a well preserved antique piece

Comparisons Render

Kits

Classic alpha colors

Suggested alternative from IC form comments

Either alphas plus this mods that should support the overwhelming majority of popular boards.
60-75%, TKL

For people that can''t live without a numpad

Should cover most  popular layout needs

Midcentury Modern motifs

First time offering this kit. If there are any issues let me know!

Standard ISO kit

Three additional accent colors inspired by mid-century modern palette (all colors updated)

Renders

Paragon with Novelties                                                                                                                              

Aperture Keyboard                                                                                                                              

m60 by Rama                                                                                                                              

u80 by Rama                                                                                                                              

Mats
Letters                                                                                                                              

Keebs                                                                                                                              

Thanks
OpenKey Design - Letting me use your board for renders

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 January 2022, 02:32:02 by edwyn »

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
Re: SA Midcentury Modern - Clean retro coloured set
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 18:26:12 »
Updates
10/17: added comparison renders to highlight the brown mods
10/24: huge update. New kits and updated colors
11/12: new alpha option
11/29: Added Ortho/40s, ISO and updated spacebars
12/29: Added Novelties
01/11: Added Mats
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2022, 14:30:35 by edwyn »

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 18:32:37 »
Carbon: no 40s support

Carbon at home: also no 40s support

😎

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 18:33:52 »
I would rec against going the standard GMK style base kit especially for SA..
I kinda like it, but it reminds me of too many things, carbon and Honeywell. The one SA PBT retro set from aliexpress with the blue accents and GMK ursa with the green accents.

Offline andromache

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 18:42:48 »
I am very confused by the kitting. You say the base kit includes ISO-UK support but it doesn't? You've also included a second B even though there appears to be no Alice bars in your kits.

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 19:01:36 »
I kinda like it, but it reminds me of too many things, carbon and Honeywell. The one SA PBT retro set from aliexpress with the blue accents and GMK ursa with the green accents.

Thanks for the comments!
Maybe I should change the accent color offerings?  Those are the ones I like best non the general mid-century modern palette but there are other ones I could do.
Will work on kitting, defaulted to what I knew best

I am very confused by the kitting. You say the base kit includes ISO-UK support but it doesn't? You've also included a second B even though there appears to be no Alice bars in your kits.

Thanks for the catch.  Forgot about the spacebar kit and misnamed the ISO situation. Much appreciated!

Carbon: no 40s support

Carbon at home: also no 40s support

😎

40s MOQ is tough! Will add if there is demand

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 19:10:57 »
if I wanted to spend $200 on SA Carbon I'd go to mechmarket

Offline chat and team

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 19:45:47 »
why
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 20:56:34 »
if I wanted to spend $200 on SA Carbon I'd go to mechmarket

Posted a render comparison of the two. They are similar, I don't deny that but SA Carbon has a much more grungier vibe, like if my set was found after an apocalypse (which is I guess what half life - the inspiration for carbon was going for). Also if you think brown mods fits the retro vibe better?

why

Cosplay as a TVA agent maybe? Perhaps some agents at the office hopefully prefer keycaps sets that haven't seen the end of the world yet

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2021, 20:58:59 by edwyn »

Offline adi

• adi.kbds; Consider ePBT Fruit Chew
    • Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 22:37:50 »
First of all, your IC should be tagged with [IC] at the start in the title

Second of all, speaking as someone who wanted to pursue Loki-themed set, I would not do this. Or at the least, remove any reference to any Disney media from the set and your IC. Honestly, I can't even notice it much, so to me it feels kind of forced to drum hype. Otherwise looking good.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 23:45:32 »
I like the colorway. Personally I think the Orange is too saturated and reads more safety cone than well designed chair. If the saturation gets lowered to more a grey orange / super saturated beige it would be great. Please remove all references to other stuff. Mid Century modern is enough.

Offline Raptor_N60

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 04:33:58 »
The colorway is very nice.

That being said, I would caution against making the set relevant with another board, since the board's final colors may vary from your set and may make those who wished to pair the two disappointed. :-X

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [iC] SA Midcentury Modern - Clean retro coloured set
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 08:43:46 »
Big fan of brown sets.  I own the SP Filco set, SA Chocolatier, 1976, 1965, Maxkey Western, GMK Chocolatier, GMK Cafe, Ursa, Sandstorm, etc... if it's brown, I probably own it.  I like this a lot, but the accents seem off to me somehow.  Maybe they are too vibrant?  I feel like they need to be slightly warmer, like a touch of yellow or a pinch of white (or both) added to the color to wash it out and warm it up some.  Maybe it's just a limitation on stock SP colors.  Watching the thread because I love brown :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 October 2021, 08:46:18 by pixelpusher »

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 09:39:07 »
Big fan of brown sets.  I own the SP Filco set, SA Chocolatier, 1976, 1965, Maxkey Western, GMK Chocolatier, GMK Cafe, Ursa, Sandstorm, etc... if it's brown, I probably own it.  I like this a lot, but the accents seem off to me somehow.  Maybe they are too vibrant?  I feel like they need to be slightly warmer, like a touch of yellow or a pinch of white (or both) added to the color to wash it out and warm it up some.  Maybe it's just a limitation on stock SP colors.  Watching the thread because I love brown :)

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to hunt down a set of SA Chocolatier myself!   I'll look into the colors.

The colorway is very nice.

That being said, I would caution against making the set relevant with another board, since the board's final colors may vary from your set and may make those who wished to pair the two disappointed. :-X

Thanks!  I'm not trying to color match with their board.  I just though their board would look awesome with an SA set to match the retro vibe.  All my colors are based on stock SA colors

I like the colorway. Personally I think the Orange is too saturated and reads more safety cone than well designed chair. If the saturation gets lowered to more a grey orange / super saturated beige it would be great. Please remove all references to other stuff. Mid Century modern is enough.

Thanks. Will revisit the colors.  Didn't want to be too close to SA Carbon and maybe over corrected.  Also made some edits to IC based on your advise (kept the phase one inspiration as they were and early supporter)

First of all, your IC should be tagged with [IC] at the start in the title

Second of all, speaking as someone who wanted to pursue Loki-themed set, I would not do this. Or at the least, remove any reference to any Disney media from the set and your IC. Honestly, I can't even notice it much, so to me it feels kind of forced to drum hype. Otherwise looking good.

Thanks for the catch, forgot the the [IC] thing. Removed the Loki reference, I added because as it was the honest inspiration journey I went through. I didn't set out to make a Loki inspired set (hence no reference to it in the name nor novelties), it just happened to be similar I was trying to recreate the mid century modern vibe. I referred to it on the reddit post as I thought it was easier for people to relate to than mid-century modern

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 11:54:08 »
in the true fashion of MCM furniture, everyone that buys this set should paint it grey after receiving

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: [iC] SA Midcentury Modern - A retro but not vintage looking set
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 04:34:55 »
Oh, I like this one, love brown and beige caps.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
Re: [iC] SA Midcentury Modern - A retro but not vintage looking set
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 16:32:11 »
Re-did all kits and most colors based off feedback.  This is my first time doing non-GMK kits so if anything is wrong please let me know. I do plan to build a ISO and 40s kit as well (still researching on this)

Let me know if the Brown alphas are something you guys like through the IC.

Green accent as been updated to yellow to not look like Ursa

Oh, I like this one, love brown and beige caps.

Thanks for the support. Now a more brown choice as well

in the true fashion of MCM furniture, everyone that buys this set should paint it grey after receiving

You got to explain this a little more to me.

More brown and updated colors.  let me know what you think!

Updated kits to not be standard GMK and colors as well.  Let me know what you think!

Let me know what you think of the new colors!

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
Re: [iC] SA Midcentury Modern - *New kits and colors* Retro beige/brown set
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 20:33:16 »
Update to orange looks way more on point. Everything overall reads more in your favor of the theme. Thanks for listening to feedback and having a good
attitude / responses. Good improvements!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 20:44:45 »
New accent colors look much better to me.   Not a fan of the low contrast on the brown alphas.  But I love the creamy ones so I probably wouldn’t have considered the brown anyway. 

Offline WXYaa

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 13:18:28 »
I've been waiting for a midcentury modern set for a while! Love the darker orange, wish the Kara Tang were darker too. Is this SA Sculpted or Uniform R2/R3? Or undecided? Please consider adding R3 PageUp and R4 PageDown.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 18:58:12 »
This is a fantastic looking set. I really hope you're successful bringing it into reality.
A-a-ron

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 October 2021, 16:46:44 »
Looks very nice. I prefer the tones to Carbon and like the accent colors.

Offline mozaic

• [IG] Mozaic
Re: [IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *New kits and colors* Retro beige/brown set
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 14:20:43 »
Love the colors on this set, but I think I'll wait for a cherry profile vesion
GLWIC

Offline nickthaskater

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 01:20:47 »
Would love this if it were PBT.

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 15:15:02 »
This is a fantastic looking set. I really hope you're successful bringing it into reality.

Thanks for the support!

I've been waiting for a midcentury modern set for a while! Love the darker orange, wish the Kara Tang were darker too. Is this SA Sculpted or Uniform R2/R3? Or undecided? Please consider adding R3 PageUp and R4 PageDown.

Glad you like the newer orange. I think I'll be doing the standard SA sculpted.  Will look into the R3 PageUp and R4 PageDown.

New accent colors look much better to me.   Not a fan of the low contrast on the brown alphas.  But I love the creamy ones so I probably wouldn’t have considered the brown anyway. 

Don't think the contrast should be too bad on the browns but creamy is the original!

Looks very nice. I prefer the tones to Carbon and like the accent colors.

Thanks! Yea its a different aesthetic to carbon

Would love this if it were PBT.

I'm personally an ABS guy I like the smooth feel but open to other materials if there is demand after this one

Update to orange looks way more on point. Everything overall reads more in your favor of the theme. Thanks for listening to feedback and having a good
attitude / responses. Good improvements!

;D

Love the colors on this set, but I think I'll wait for a cherry profile vesion
GLWIC

Thanks for the encouragement.  The original inspiration was to go with the SA vintage vibe but open to doing cherry if there is demand after this GB

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
Re: [IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *New alpha color* Retro beige/brown set
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 15:54:56 »
New alpha option as suggested from my IC feedback.

Please vote if this is the alternative you guys prefer: https://forms.gle/S7te5vnXZp93RtHj8

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
Re: [IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *Ortho/40s + ISO added* Retro beige/brown set
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 15:44:25 »
Based on feedback from IC. I have added an Ortho/40s, ISO and updated the spacebars kit. 
This is my first Ortho/40s kit I have made.  If there are any mistakes let me know

I have also broken out a new question on the IC regarding Alpha alternative colors to see if there is enough demand to offer one.
https://forms.gle/XgtEyvVhVb7D9bcw8

Lastly, novelties have also been requested but I am working on them

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
Re: [IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *Novelties added* Retro beige/brown set
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 17:05:48 »
Added novelties kit as per IC form request

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 19:54:44 »
gorgeous set. im all the way in. I've been the biggest fan of the less but better, and also joined the phase1 on day 1. i'll be joining this GB as well as i like SA profile and this set looks great but it does bother me that all SA sets have the same large centered alphas. not that there is something wrong with that, its just getting a bit boring. why do all sets have the same alphas? why not small legends on top left or right? or lower case? or just anything different.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 December 2021, 06:40:23 »
Novelties look very good indeed

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 08:41:20 »
Novelties for this are a chefs kiss love the set!

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 09:54:06 »
looks an awful lot like 1965 though. looks good though!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 11:20:19 »
Hmmm i have a lot of SA sets already but the colours are nice and retro.  Interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
Re: [IC] SA Midcentury Modern - *Mats added* Retro beige/brown set
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 16:29:04 »
Added mats!

Hmmm i have a lot of SA sets already but the colours are nice and retro.  Interested.

Thanks! I collect SA sets too!

looks an awful lot like 1965 though. looks good though!

Its more like a new retro set from 1965 instead of an old vintage look

Novelties look very good indeed

Thanks for the encouragement!

Novelties for this are a chefs kiss love the set!

Thanks glad you like them

gorgeous set. im all the way in. I've been the biggest fan of the less but better, and also joined the phase1 on day 1. i'll be joining this GB as well as i like SA profile and this set looks great but it does bother me that all SA sets have the same large centered alphas. not that there is something wrong with that, its just getting a bit boring. why do all sets have the same alphas? why not small legends on top left or right? or lower case? or just anything different.

This font is the default for SP SA I think.  I actually chose to do SA because of this font. It looks like it was from the 50/60s.  Thanks for the support too!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 16:32:59 »
Nice colors! Please don't forget to include R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn in mods for 65% support. Also, you may want to consider structuring your mod kits like SA Espresso (I explain why that approach is good here).

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 13:00:13 »
Nice colors! Please don't forget to include R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn in mods for 65% support. Also, you may want to consider structuring your mod kits like SA Espresso (I explain why that approach is good here).

Thanks a ton for your input. New to kitting so very appreciate it.  I'll study your post and make changes

Offline Revanized

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 10:50:19 »
10/10 would buy this.

Love the orange accenting. I love the inspiration as well.

Offline dokternik

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 17:29:09 »
Absolutely love this.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 17:53:40 »
Dig-it.
A-a-ron

Offline filefish

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 08:09:16 »
Any chance this might still happen? I love the colors, especially the all-brown. (Even if the ISO keys wouldn't match that set.)

Offline edwyn

• CONCEPT & IDEA
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 07:56:46 »
Thanks for all the replies and support!

I would love to make this happen but the IC pick up seems to be slow and SA doesn't seem to be too hot either.

I would consider doing this in DSA or others as long as I can keep the big centered alphas (feel that is vital for the theme)

Any chance this might still happen? I love the colors, especially the all-brown. (Even if the ISO keys wouldn't match that set.)

Absolutely love this.

Dig-it.

10/10 would buy this.

Love the orange accenting. I love the inspiration as well.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 18:47:02 »
When is pontus going to do this in center legend DCS i would purchase instantlyLove brown 
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!