Author Topic: Wood MOQ keycaps  (Read 66163 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Wood MOQ keycaps
« on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:10:25 »
PLEASE USE THE INFORMATION BELOW:

Here is the pricing that is currently available from KSM. Please read the hyphen (-) notes below for additional price considerations to the matrix shown. The wood types available and the costs of each key individually and as a set are listed below. The keys as quoted come with an engraved legend, see photos for style. Keys can come with no legend, and/or be engraved by WASD Keyboards as an option. The keys are for Cherry MX switches. The wood keycaps have a lacquer coating.

-There may be a small price adjustment to reduce the cost, but that can't happen until the entire order is ready to go and KSM will decide how much (if any).
-There are delivery charges that are not calculated. They will be divided evenly 'per key' for the entire order. The larger the order, the less per key.
-The keys will come to California and be distributed from California to the final destination. Shipping charges will apply.
-Keys are available without legends, and there may be a reduction in price. This will depend on the order placed. A reduced price is not guaranteed at this time.
-Keys ordered without legends, to be engraved by WASD Keyboards will have a separate charge for the custom engraving by WASD Keyboards.
-KSM will need about 3-4 weeks to manufacture. Shipping time from Taiwan. Distribution time. Perhaps 5-6 weeks to get product from group order date.

FIRST COLUMN - Price per individual key.
SECOND COLUMN - Price per key for an entire keyboard set
THIRD COLUMN - Price per individual key. The "Stylish key top" are little figurine type tops made of wood, you can see these on their website.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26121[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26122[/ATTACH]

[/HR]
[/HR]BEGINNING POST:
Saw this company posted on deskthority, and contacted them about obtaining wood keycaps only, not an entire keyboard.

http://www.kunshiman.com.tw/p.asp?l=3&id=34

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19870[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19871[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19872[/ATTACH]

When I follow up with some pricing info, I'll post it here. I may buy 8 home row keycaps as samples to see how they are first.

This is their response:

I'm glad you enjoy our keyboard.

We surely can just sell the keycaps you mentioned,

you can just offer your design , we will make them for you.

but we have MOQ for sets of keycaps,
and we also need to know what kind of wood you choose to use.

could you provide the photo of  the set of keycaps for us first?

We can replicate them in wood, but we will charge you service fee and delivery fee.

thanks in advance~

--
Best Regard.

陳柏邑
KENT CHEN
Sales Department

KUNSHIMAN PRECISION TEC CO., LTD

F308, NO.12, 2ND RD., SOUTHERN TAIWAN SCIENCE PARK, TAINAN CITY, TAIWAN 74147 R.O.C

TEL:     +886+6+5056433
Mobile:+886+975215270
FAX:     +886+6+5056408

Your products are absolutely beautiful.

I want to know if it is possible to purchase any of the following:
-non legended keycaps
-keycaps of different styles

I have several keyboard projects, and I would love the opportunity to possibly purchase some keycaps if that is possible. This is a link to a website with my progress:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8110

I am mostly working on a Kinesis Contour keyboard. It uses about 12 different keycap profiles. Would it be possible for me to send you a set of keycaps and have you replicate them in wood?

Thank you,
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:18:38 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:29:24 »
That looks interesting.  Hope they put on some sort of termites treatment on those keycaps. =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:35:31 »
They have a redwood option, which termites don't care for.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 15:42:23 »
Im very interested, been playing with the thought of emailing them myself...ill follow this thread closely :)
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 15:49:16 »
wow... interested too
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 16:05:08 »
My ongoing emails with them contain more than just the questions as listed below, This is just a summarization.

So far I'm asking:

1- a per MOQ keycap price with and w/o legends
2- a per MOQ keycap "set" price with and w/o legends
3- a Kinesis Contour keycap set price with and w/o legends
4- High-Low price estimate for different woods, if that's a factor
5- to have "spherical" keycaps made, is there a price difference from the "cylindrical"?
6- Can you confirm that your keyboard layout is exactly the same as a g80-3000? If so, please provide a price for a redwood keycap set.
7- Pricing for an 87 Tenkeyless.
8- Are there specific order minimums/requirements? If so, are you willing to work with one person to facilitate getting small, partial orders distributed to others?

I want to check the actual keys out before making any bigger decision.

I may opt to just get the 8 home row and 6 or 12 F-keys...those would all be the MOQ Cherry keycap they already make. It may not make sense for me to have the Kinesis Contour keycap set made. I sure love beautiful wood though :)

Please add any questions here in this thread over next couple days and I'll send a nice list to them at the end of the weekend.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:50:07 by input nirvana »

Offline calavera

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:14:44 »
Awaiting pricing response, this has me intrigued. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:23:59 »
I believe the keycaps are cylindrical. I'll add to the question list cost of spherical keycaps with and w/o legends.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:03:49 by input nirvana »

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:27:09 »
These are cnc'd wooden keycaps with a plastic Cherry switch mount inserted in the back, the mount itself looks a little short/shallow at exactly 4mm, but does the job. Considering a keyboard from these guys costs $$$$, the keycaps should definitely be elite...pricewise:) And, no I don't have plans to bring this stuff in as of yet, though I've considered it.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:42:59 »
I assume the price will be silly high, but I think justifiably so. You get what you pay for... maybe wood escape keys :)

Offline guilleguillaume

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:17:00 »
I'm interested in these Wood keycaps too.

Now I only have to find a way to make a custom wood case for one of my keyboards like the one from Nanu:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6557
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:26:10 by guilleguillaume »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:48:06 »
I'm interested.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:11:28 »
I went back up to POST #6 and made the list of questions in RED BOLD. If anymore questions come up, ask them in this thread, and I will add it to the list in post #6 before I send another email this weekend.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:18:02 by input nirvana »

Offline dreamingftw

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 20:12:46 »
I too am interested in a key, which is all I could probably afford.

Offline Chobopants

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 21:54:53 »
Quote from: dreamingftw;370332
I too am interested in a key, which is all I could probably afford.

I am interested in keys with legends. I'd consider without if that's the only option. An entire 87 tenkeyless set would be nice.

If the price is ridiculous I would definitely consider something like just an ESC key or the Function row as well.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Multiple

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:22:20 »
Quote from: input nirvana;370135
They have a redwood option, which termites don't care for.

I would definitely go with the red sandalwood, a.k.a. Zitan!

With some polish (no lacquer needed) and some time it would look like black plastic, because there are no visible grains in this wood and it oxidases to black.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 00:04:55 by Multiple »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:49:17 »
Totally interested.

Offline peda

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 01:24:11 »
i am interested in those as well and i hope that the price is not ridiculous high... but unfortunately i think my hopes will be not fullfilt?!

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 02:47:53 »
please ask them what one of their regular premade keysets would cost. Their layout looks exactly like g80-3000 layout, so all I would need is one set of their "regular caps. I already have my wooden case, ill need matching redwood caps for it (my case is european cherry)

Offline negidaku

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:20:26 »
What are "wood minimum order quantity keycaps"?

Offline Atenacius

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:30:30 »
I would definitely be interested in a wooden ESC key for my Noppoo Choc Mini, it'll match the font color. Full sets are definitely going to be too much for me to justify.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline JAMM0N

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:41:32 »
these would cost a lot. the cutting the polishing. it'll be nice but very costly. engraved also would be the sexxx
Computer: Filco Linear Cherry MX RED XBOX: HHKB Pro
Incoming: KBC Poker BROWN

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:46:30 »
It's about midnight in Taiwan right now, but I'm sending the preliminary list of questions (see POST #6) in a different format in 4 or 5 hours so they have them in the morning. I'll add any specific questions I get before then. I'll clarify their inevitable questions that our questions will create. They have been very responsive.

I've sent them info for the manufacture of Kinesis Contour keycaps and am awaiting a quote along with a few other items. Hopefully will have a lot of info tomorrow, and the details a day or so after that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 14:07:45 by input nirvana »

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 12:53:06 »
UPDATE:

I've gotten some general information today, (sorry, not the easy details of how much an individual key will cost).

-They have only sold entire keyboards up to this point.
-They are open to selling keys only.
-Some time is needed to rethink their ideas/expectations/pricing model, etc.
-Preliminary pricing for some of the things requested can be available in about a week.
-At this point, different woods have a different price. I feel that may change if we are talking about small quantities.

Anyone that wants to, PM me with EXACTLY what you would possibly want. I suggest you look at their website and keep it limited to their offerings as much as possible. But if you have other ideas, understand the pricing will take a while. I will sift and coordinate so that I don't bombard them with too much info, they are not set up for that at all. I can get run the items through my existing business that imports from material from about 6 miles away from them, so it's not a problem, it's just another piece of paper for me.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 13:36:18 »
Awesome, can't wait to hear more.  I'm sure they'll be super pricey if they're selling the board for ~2k, but you never know.  Like someone said... if it's crazy, maybe we can just order a bunch of one top-row key.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:08:00 »
UPDATE:

EDITED PRICING AS BELOW---FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION--

Still sorting through information. As a guideline, an individual keycap is about $7 (teak) to $17 (redwood) before shipping, with the other woods in between those 2 prices. I have been obviously mostly trying to get the individual keycap prices (the title of this thread). If a set of keycaps is purchased, there is a price of about $6.50 (teak) to $15.50 (redwood) per keycap (times the total number of keycaps in the set...ie. #104).

This is definitely a good candidate for a group buy, but not restricted to that by any means.

I will be posting more information as I clarify and confirm.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:17:36 by input nirvana »

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:18:26 »
Quote from: ripster;378180
Redwood is splintery.  I like Cherry myself.

Cherry MX.

Cherry - Cherry MX.  Get it?

Oh nvm.

You're on a roll, don't stop now.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:29:28 »
Thanks for finding more ways for me to spend my money  :mmph:
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:36:37 »
You're complaining to MEEE?? I've spent more on keyboards in 2 years than on my first car!

I'll get a keycap asap so I can take detailed close-up 360 degree photos. That will have to do until Ripster gets his keys and the legos wear them as hats.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:38:52 by input nirvana »

Offline Multiple

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 12:28:45 »
Quote from: ripster;378180
I'm interested in an ESC key to add to my collection.

Redwood is splintery.  I like Cherry myself.

Cherry MX.

Cherry - Cherry MX.  Get it?

Oh nvm.

Something does not add up here, Pterocarpus Santalinus is commonly known as Red or Purple Sandalwood (they write the wood title as Red Sandalwood), but they write the given latin name of the wood as Pterocarpus Papilionaceae (I do not know it). On the other hand Red/Purple Sandalwood (zitan) can be referring to four different species, three of them found in Brazil, the fourth found in India (the original source of zitan). None in Indonesia / Philippines.

It could turn out to be a problem with customs if the wood is CITES listed, so I think it is necessary to ask exactly what logs they are working on (hoping it really any of the zitan species, cause it is the most awesome wood).

Here's a detail from an old zitan chair I'm planning to restore:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20386[/ATTACH]

But, what does "redwood" usually refer too?

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 12:54:52 »
I'm a step or two away from wood verification. They haven't done this before (individual keycaps) so we are going over machining specs, costing and control, then wood type and costing. I'll address this issue in the next couple emaiis so the framework will be set up.

They are open to exploring, to a point. I'm sure this is mostly a marketing/exposure endeavor for them.

That chair looks spectacular. Full pics?

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 13:12:04 »
Quote from: ripster;378239
Show Image

Better than him looking down his pants.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 13:26:01 »
Quote from: ripster;378249
Whatever happened to Woody?
Whatever happened to Whiskey in the Jar-o, Mikecase00, and SigonLegacy??  

(looks like all of them posted as recent as last year)

Offline Multiple

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 13:35:33 »
Lil' late to snap pictures but here's some earlier shots

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20392[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20393[/ATTACH]

Pretty comfy to sit in.

woody

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 14:19:01 »
Quote from: ripster;378249
Whatever happened to Woody?
Wha? I'm here, just bit busier than usually, but still some quick post here or there.

You seem to have missed my recent posts of infinite wisdom. That makes me a sad wannabe troll.
Damn ping whiners, they injected lots of sustained noise recently.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:27:23 »
Some keycap photos I've just received.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20417[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20427[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20426[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20425[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20424[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20423[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20422[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20421[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20420[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20419[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20418[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20428[/ATTACH]

Note the one keycap underside showing the Cherry insert.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:33:11 »
Some of those looks pretty cool.  Maybe we should do a limited edition wooden Geekhack key cap.

Edit:  Also your sig is very distracting..   but in a good way. lol =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:36:16 »
Sig photo is temporary. I'm applying pressure to Ripster. I think he's almost ready to crack. Or, it has zero effect. Dunno.

You probably shouldn't have me to run your presidential campaign.

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 01:52:18 »
edit: after your sneaky edit of the price per cap for an entire board there is no way im in for this, that is a ridiculous price.
Might still be in for 1 or two individual caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 06:18:48 by Ascaii »

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:26:11 »
Quote from: input nirvana;378177
Still sorting through information. As a guideline, an individual keycap is about $7 (teak) to $17 (redwood) before shipping, with the other woods in between those 2 prices. I have been obviously mostly trying to get the individual keycap prices (the title of this thread). If a set of keycaps is purchased, there is a price of about $6.50 (teak) to $15.50 (redwood) per keycap (times the total number of keycaps in the set...ie. #104).

What about prices if they do more than one set? Will costs reduce significantly?

$676 per keyboard is too much!

If pricing would be similar to SP, I would cancel all efforts in the direction of Round 4!

Quote from: Ascaii;378637
Can you please ask them if they can manufacture a set of g80-3000 (basically same as their keyboard uses) layout ISO-DE caps? The prices you mentioned are definitely in the realm of the possible, and those samples you got are incredible.

They can manufactuer any key caps for any keyboard ever.

That's the advantage of wood over plastic!

However, they are expensive in comparision to plastic when it comes to mass-production.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:30:05 by 7bit »
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 06:19:57 »
before the edit the prices were actually affordable...how come the drastic increase from what you originally posted?

Offline fortran

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 09:22:13 »
they don't sell many keyboards - at 800 / board, no  wonder

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 10:20:35 »
Quote from: Ascaii;378684
before the edit the prices were actually affordable...how come the drastic increase from what you originally posted?

I mis-read the price break as the actual pricing, when it in fact was the discount from the "per piece" price. My mistake, very sorry for that :(

Keep in mind, these are the exact and initial prices they have sent to me so far, and there may be some changes. Still investigating to see what all available options are.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 10:39:58 »
Well, I'm certainly in for a few caps.  Perhaps some arrow keys?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 10:52:42 »
Can they make a Leopold/Achiss space bar?

Offline Wibox

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 11:11:24 »
I'm interested but not for $600 a keyboard ...
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 11:16:34 »
One very cool thing is that they say they can and will make anything. So that option sounds great. For whatever they CNC, they need to have a physical sample to work with. The quality appears premium, and I must touch and taste at least one keycap (even if it is damaged/defective) to be absolutely certain.

There is a fair amount of massaging that needs to occur, they are a volume-based manufacturer, and this concept is somewhat new to them, and their business model wasn't designed to make singles. There needs to be a middle-man that can make a very sizable purchase. More than a couple dozen keycaps.

I'm working on this every day.

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 12:13:01 »
if we can get the purchase price down to something a little more palatable I would be in for a full set...ill keep my eyes on this thread for any further updates.

Offline Waterdr1nker

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 13:52:23 »
I seriously want a wooden escape key. Doesn't even have to be engraved; I'm fine with blank!
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline mikeruth

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 16:48:48 »
I would like to have 1 (maybe 2) ESC key.
Mike R.