Author Topic: [Orders closed] Aluminum poker case  (Read 63445 times)

Offline morgofborg

[Orders closed] Aluminum poker case
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 15:48:30 »
Yeah, Im curious as well

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 16:16:08 »
no updates on my end. given the estimates i have so far and the number of units destined for the US, i think we're looking at minimum 12$ per unit for powdercoating, assuming everyone opts in and we can decide on a single color. i suspect we'll get better prices if a) oneproduct can find a shop locally and b) the international orders also opt for coating.

also i've handed off measurements to oneproduct for the pure compatibility point based on the pictures a couple pages back. i'm a little hesitant to get this hole drilled and tapped before we test i, as if it's badly located it makes adding the mounting hole later much more difficult.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 18:22:29 »
I was more worried that cutting out the extra hole for the second IC would remove some stability from the spacebar since the cutout would be right under it. It would still be far more stable than the plastic case of course because that one has nothing there at all and this one has a good deal of metal... well everywhere. Might just forget about it since it would make my life easier anyways.

I'll be going to check the local place for coloring sometime this week.

Also, if anybody is awesome at parallel programming using MPI and wants to help me cheat on my homework so I can spend more time on this, let me know. ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2012, 18:24:58 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 18:51:54 »
you could cut out like 60% of that plate and it would be plenty rigid i think...

i don't know MPI, but i think a week is a reasonable amount of time to put things on hold while you finish up your projects lol

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 20:34:39 »
I'm so fed up of programming now lol. I'm sort of in the wrong field I think. I use to be in natural science but I sort of got bored and moved to computer science after CEGEP (where I live this is between high school and university). I love doing the theoretical things and writing "formal" pseudo code but I don't like dealing with the language/environment specific nuisances that come when having to implement code. Ah well, I've got like three weeks left in this semester and only one programming assignment left then I'm basically done. Have two electives to take to get my last few credits in the summer.

A few people said they want to go with this ASAP though so I'm going to stick to the plan as much as possible and put in the order this Friday assuming they're ready for me. They have a habit of "no reply = no problem." They've never responded to any of my emails but when I go visit them in person on a weekly basis it's obvious that they read them, make any changes I ask for and prepare for my visit but for some reason can't send back a quick confirmation lol.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 21:00:29 »
lol, ok.

good luck with your homework.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 05:18:27 »
Quote from: oneproduct;556628
I'm so fed up of programming now lol. I'm sort of in the wrong field I think. I use to be in natural science but I sort of got bored and moved to computer science after CEGEP (where I live this is between high school and university). I love doing the theoretical things and writing "formal" pseudo code but I don't like dealing with the language/environment specific nuisances that come when having to implement code. Ah well, I've got like three weeks left in this semester and only one programming assignment left then I'm basically done. Have two electives to take to get my last few credits in the summer.

A few people said they want to go with this ASAP though so I'm going to stick to the plan as much as possible and put in the order this Friday assuming they're ready for me. They have a habit of "no reply = no problem." They've never responded to any of my emails but when I go visit them in person on a weekly basis it's obvious that they read them, make any changes I ask for and prepare for my visit but for some reason can't send back a quick confirmation lol.

It's not super hard to get a CS degree and then never write code again. You are like the exact opposite of me though, so much of the theory stuff bored me to tears, but the feeling of writing code and having the outcome do exactly what you want is incredibly satisfying to me.

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 19:22:13 »
Quote from: oneproduct;556628

You could join the military.  Do it for a couple years, and then realize how cool it was being a civilian.  Then you should fit right back into programming. Problem solved.  I'm here for you man.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 11:01:53 »
Alright, one last bump I think. Orders will be closing tomorrow as I'm going to place the order on Friday. For those who were on the fence and waiting to see more photos there won't be any more before then. For those who have ordered but not paid yet, if you've changed your mind please let me know as once these are made I can't return them or anything and I don't want to be stuck with them!

In particular mkawa I saw that the additional pokers you ordered sort of fell through so I think you're down to 1? (will send a PM later in case he doesn't see this)

I'll be looking into the coloring on Friday as well if I have the time, if not I'll have to do it the week after when I'm a bit less busy.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 11:12:14 »
yah i'm down to 2; one with corners welded, one without, and neither mounting plate tacked.

re: pure compatibility: i think we should at least try a least cutting out the space for the new IC. i'm going to toss a PURE in one, and it would save me the time of drilling that out myself lol

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 11:36:59 »
Yeah I actually think I'm going to duck out of this one.  My apologies, oneproduct.

I'm just too on the fence without knowing how it all will turn out to confirm an order.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 12:10:41 »
le sigh. guess i'm down to one. for simplicity's sake, let's not tack this one, but do weld the corners. that should make it easier on the shop.

with so few US orders, i think the only way powdercoating is going to happen is if oneproduct makes it happen (and please do!!)

Offline KyesaRRi

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 12:10:45 »
Mmm speaking of colours what's everyone's preference? I know we don't know whats being offered yet but we could get some numbers down.

I'd be in for a black / wrinkle paint.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 12:15:54 »
Quote from: mkawa;559364
le sigh. guess i'm down to one. for simplicity's sake, let's not tack this one, but do weld the corners. that should make it easier on the shop.

with so few US orders, i think the only way powdercoating is going to happen is if oneproduct makes it happen (and please do!!)

worse case scenario, I'm getting mine colored when it comes.

Quote from: KyesaRRi;559365
Mmm speaking of colours what's everyone's preference? I know we don't know whats being offered yet but we could get some numbers down.

I'd be in for a black / wrinkle paint.

I'm going to say gunmetal one last time. I'm also not going to mention that it's been me saying it 3/4 of the times it's been said so oneproduct thinks everyone wants it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 12:31:34 »
gunmetal/black wrinkle/dark is fine with me. so would a nice matte or wrinkle blue. tbh i don't really care that much about color. i'm sure we'll be able to find something everyone is good with

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 12:42:04 »
Yea, gunmetal is good. I would just like one of mine unfinished I think then; I'll just straight up spray paint it i think haha. I really want like a really light blue/ baby blue

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 13:17:25 »
Am interested in one, and I think I worked out shipping to the UK to be around 20 dollars, although not 100% sure on the sizes etc from the description.

When would they be getting posted etc?
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 15:25:29 »
If I give in the order on Friday and they start working on it on Monday it probably wouldn't take them long to do it at all, probably a day or two, so if they do indeed start on it right away I could send them out late next week or early the week after. I have to also go and get screws and insulation now so hopefully those will be on hand at around the same time. I couldn't get them earlier because I wasn't sure how much I would need.

Also be aware that I can't guarantee coloring will happen, I haven't even gone to ask about it yet.

Offline metafour

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 17:58:31 »
I'm going to throw a vote out there for PURPLE anodizing or powder coating as a LOOOOOOONGSHOT.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:01:09 »
Quote from: metafour;559694
I'm going to throw a vote out there for PURPLE anodizing or powder coating as a LOOOOOOONGSHOT.

Oh, I like that idea a ton actually.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:04:12 »
I want it anodized GREEN!

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:20:23 »
I could get behind purple as a second choice, but still GUNMETALLLL.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:20:55 »
Lol hold up on the colors until I figure out if I can do it at all and then, if I can, wait until I figure out what colors are available.

Offline metafour

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:10:17 »
Quote from: oneproduct;559711
Lol hold up on the colors until I figure out if I can do it at all and then, if I can, wait until I figure out what colors are available.

Gotta start lobbying now if I want to get enough support! ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:11:30 »
we can definitely get them painted. it's just a question of cost. also i'm not too crazy about purple. seriously?

Offline metafour

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:01:21 »
Quote from: mkawa;559761
we can definitely get them painted. it's just a question of cost. also i'm not too crazy about purple. seriously?

Yeah seriously!!!

Historically speaking, isn't purple the color of royalty?

I'd much prefer purple over blue or red. What color would you choose?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:05:20 »
lol, i vastly prefer blue to purple. let us compromise: PINK!

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:07:17 »
haha I good with pink or blue or purple; any happy colors really

Offline metafour

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:10:34 »
Heh no pink for me. Purple is way more awesome than blue.

Gunmetal is pretty close to the unfinished color of these isn't it?

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:11:50 »
Would rather a dark colour like gunmetal, otherwise a bright/light blue or red, not that keen on purple sorry :laugh:
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:19:32 »
Quote from: metafour;559805
Gunmetal is pretty close to the unfinished color of these isn't it?

Nar man gunmetal is considerably darker, like this
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline Ovoxo

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:29:50 »
I would be down for the gunmetal color as well.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:30:06 »
gunmetal is a dark grey. the paint will also give us the ability to control reflectivity: matte, crinkle, slightly metallic, etc.

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 11:39:15 »
I would rather just have it bare.  It's really not that expensive to get one powder coated if you shop around your area.  Or just powder coat a bunch of stuff at one time.  Or get some bake-on powder coat that you can cure in your oven (use a friend's oven).

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 11:41:07 »
Quote from: dippingriz;560443
I would rather just have it bare.  It's really not that expensive to get one powder coated if you shop around your area.  Or just powder coat a bunch of stuff at one time.  Or get some bake-on powder coat that you can cure in your oven (use a friend's oven).

I didn't really think about it, but a small powdercoating kit would be really cheap, and if you get low temp powder you can totally bake them at home...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 11:44:23 »
how well does just multi coats of spray paint and clear coat adhere to aluminum?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 12:20:30 »
every shop i queried had a high enough minimum order that it was pretty far from "cheap" to get a single unit coated.

i also don't buy this oven curing. it sounds like unless you have a compressor and some kind of spray gun for it already diy would be just as expensive as the minimum charges at these shops.

if you look at the case modding community, everything except for straight krylon is actually really pricey (they're auto paints basically, and require adequate prepping, then primer then expensive auto paints then a clear coat)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 12:35:43 »
Quote from: morgofborg;560451
how well does just multi coats of spray paint and clear coat adhere to aluminum?
There's more to the process than that, but spray-on clear coat sort of sucks.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 13:35:47 »
Going to Chrome dip mine, if I can. :D

Sent from a phone...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 09:57:26 »
Paid.!!!

Sent from a phone...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 10:46:18 »
Quote from: sth;560505
There's more to the process than that, but spray-on clear coat sort of sucks.

hmm...I figured as much. Every car I ever had, I just get like 10-15 cans of flat black spray paint at walmart and good to town, tho that is steel; and I want my cars to look like ****, but not my keyboard haha

Offline Ovoxo

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 12:55:28 »
payment sent!

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:28:45 »
I visited both the metal working place and the coloring place today and I have some fantastic news:

1. The case should be compatible with the Pure now as well. I made another cut out for the second integrated circuit on the underside of the Pure's PCB and I got another hole tapped between G and H. The cut out should work perfectly since I made it a little larger than strictly necessary and if the hole for the screw is somehow wrong the Pure would still fit inside just without using the middle screw (or you could attempt to tap a hole on your own afterwards).

2. The coloring place can brush aluminum, so we'll be going with brushed aluminum instead of glass beading for the outside finish which should look a lot nicer. They told me that brushing costs "about $4" for the case. I'll have to see how this affects our costs. While it's true that we won't have to pay for glass beading anymore, our final order count was a fair amount under what I had originally asked a quote for so I asked him to give me another quote. However since these are done by hand the cost is pretty linear since you are mostly paying for labor, it's just the setup costs that will be spread over fewer orders. For the most part I think I can absorb this cost myself.

3. For coloring, they can anodize the case for "about $4." This would be just the outer case and not the metal insert. If you wanted the metal insert colored it would be another $3. They only have red, blue and gold and the minimum charge per color is around $90. So we either have to all pick the same color or we could pick two colors but then we'd have to pay double the amount. Because of how anodizing is done we can't tack it anymore and it will have to be glued later. Again I just want to say that while gluing sounds less elegant, functionally speaking it will be more than strong enough to keep the two pieces together, and this had been the original plan anyways. I'll put up a thread for anodizing and PM all the people who ordered cases to get their input.

Production should start on Monday or the day after and should take a couple of days. Anodizing and brushing would take about 5-6 days (they have to "heat up the tanks" which alone takes 3 days).

If any of these changes make you unhappy, feel free to talk about it here or in a PM to me and you can always request a refund if you want to bail out.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:35:21 »
I'm psyched about all of that except it would be nice if they had more color options. Could you get pictures of what they mean by "red," "blue," and "gold?" Or tell us the name of the coloring place, I'm sure they have samples on their website. Also, do you think it would look like a finished product if it was brushed but not anodized? because that might actually be my vote. That or blue anodized, depending on the shade.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:38:54 »
A+ oneproduct! thanks!

i want both my insert and frame anodized. brushed aluminum = apple products, btw.

TEAM BLUE

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:42:46 »
and i just sent payment

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:48:15 »
yeah, team blue. and I'd also like my insert anodized too, do I need to send you more money for that?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:48:49 »
Quote from: emptythecache;561709
I'm psyched about all of that except it would be nice if they had more color options. Could you get pictures of what they mean by "red," "blue," and "gold?" Or tell us the name of the coloring place, I'm sure they have samples on their website. Also, do you think it would look like a finished product if it was brushed but not anodized? because that might actually be my vote. That or blue anodized, depending on the shade.

I just put up the new thread here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?29356-ANODIZING-for-aluminum-poker-cases

You can see samples of the colors, though ours will turn out a bit darker. If you don't get it anodized it will look very nice too, exactly as these look but in the natural aluminum color. I plan to leave mine un-anodized, but I might end up buying a second one in color.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:15:50 »
Actually, if people could put their interests in anodizing in this spreadsheet it would be easier for me: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai3njS0ds_RVdFpxaXJodlZEU1pYTVl4VkJuOTdDelE

If you have any special instructions, such as not gluing the two pieces together, please put them in there as well.

You can still place new orders until Monday!
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:48:00 by oneproduct »

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 19:29:14 »
Hey oneproduct, put me down for 1 more case.