Author Topic: What other hobbies consume your time?  (Read 97821 times)

Offline Kavik

Re: What other hobbies consume your time?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:20:44 »
That's cool. I wish our family had anything worth inheriting. The fact that we do not is probably part of the reason I like old things so much. Now I have plenty of guns worth handing down, but doubt I'll ever have anybody to hand them to other than my nephew. lol

My dad grew up in the '50s, so I think he had a thing for cowboy-type stuff. He was also a bit cheap, so all the stuff he had was revolvers, bolt action/lever action, Taurus, and a Chinese SKS. The only quality modern gun he had was a Beretta 92FS (straight dust cover version). But he was mainly into shooting right before and during the AWB, so all the cool stuff was forbidden anyway.

That's a nice collection of Walthers and Sigs. No PPK? I want one of those some day. I almost picked up one of those P232s once. I probably should have. I see that Mishako has a video on the P5, and it looks awesome. I'll have to see it. Do you carry the LCP II at all as well? How do you like that H&R 733? I have the H&R 999 Sportsman, now that I check again.

I used to want a PPK, but I'd want a real PPK, not a PPK/S or Smith & Wesson version. The true Walthers from the '60s are pricey. I did fire one once and it was nice, but the gun has lost a bit of its allure to me. As far as practical use goes, the P232 fills the roll of a PPK for me; the ergonomics are better overall. Yes, they're big for a .380 by today's standards, but blowback .380s are very inherently accurate and nicer to shoot than modern micro guns. 

I had a full size P5 a few years ago, and I couldn't hit anything with it. It was a surplus police trade-in, so I think the barrel must have been completely shot out (I couldn't even see where I was hitting on paper). The P5 Compact is rarer and more expensive (and consequently less worn), but it is very easy to shoot accurately. It has one of the best double action triggers I've felt, like a very smooth revolver trigger. I like the looks of it a bit more, and the regular button magazine release is a plus compared to the full size.

I have carried the LCP II, but then I discovered it would partially eject the magazine during firing even after a trip back to the factory. M*Carbo sells an extra strength mag catch spring that fixed this for me, but I only just tested it a few days ago. I'm still trying to figure out how to carry this gun. I had envisioned pocket carry, but that really sucks because that pocket can't be used for anything else, and the gun still prints. I tried a belly band, but that also printed. I may just get an ankle holster for it.

The H&R 733 is not the greatest. The trigger is atrociously heavy and springy, and the sights are awful. I got it for my wife because she loves the movie Clue and also likes revolvers, but it is hard for her to shoot for the aforementioned reasons.

What's the P220 chambered in? My home defense gun is the M&P 9 with a TLR-1 HL on the rail. I haven't even seen bolt-on rails for Berettas.

My P220s are both in .45 ACP. The SAO has a steel frame and extended beaver tail, which make a big difference in handling. I can't find my Beretta rail online. The box says "G4 Ops", "Wor4TacRail", "TacRail Model B1", and "survivalconsultants.com", but none of these terms result in any hits online. It must have been some gunshow pickup, but it's very similar to this except a bit more secure (https://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Beretta-Accessory-Adapter-MADBER/dp/B0058DC520).

I would love both a PTR-91 and AUG, although I know I would be unlikely to use them for much other than drooling over. Can't go wrong with Mossberg.

The PTR-91 is cool, but, yeah, it's basically useless from a practical standpoint. The G3 pattern is just too front heavy with odd length of pull, and I've never been terribly accurate with it despite being named "Precision Target Rifle", but I also don't get to practice long range shooting very often. The AUG is much handier, but I really should get some decent optics for them and see what they can really do at distance.

I don't know much about the Bren 2 offhand, though I may have seen some videos. I should see some more. CZ puts a lot of thought into their designs, and I've got a little Czech in me.

CZ has messed with the design so many times that I'm really not sure what to get. I think the 2S with 11 inch barrel is what I would want, but I think it's discontinued. The 2MS looks just a bit off in comparison, and it's heavier for no good reason.

I never liked the aesthetics much of the 92, although it has grown on me, and some of the lines are nice, like how the front of the slide has those concave cuts on it. I like their heft, and if my 92s is any indication of the modern ones, the slides and triggers are like glass. Disassembly is cake as well. I hate those slide-mounted decockers/safeties. I think if I shot them a lot, I would get one of the Taurus clones with the old frame-mounted safety. The trigger's certainly nice enough to go DAO with though as well.

The slide decocker doesn't bother me much, but I do prefer frame mounted controls. The 92X Performance has the original frame mounted safety, but it's a bazillion dollars.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fliz

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 21:04:49 »
I recently got a Solidteknics wrought iron 12" skillet and have been working on building a really nice seasoning on it. It's surprisingly difficult. I tried flax oil and it flaked off. They recommend rice bran oil, but none of the grocery stores around here have it. I've been using canola most recently and it *seems* to be working, but I'll have to cook something that really tests it.

Offline Tinman39

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:30:12 »
I am a pretty avid science fiction and fantasy reader and I make hard cider, mead and wine at home. Nothing special, just stuff for me and my friends to drink.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 22:54:01 »
I finally got some inline skates today. All adult sizes of everything have been sold out locally, so I had to settle for plastic frames (the only adult sized pair in town). The weather was rainy today and will be tomorrow too, so I had to stick with practicing in the garage, but I was a lot better at it than I have been in the past. Excited for a new hobby and form of exercise.

243516-0
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline typo

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:45:13 »
I am an old man but i partake in so many varied things I think most people would be pleasantly surprised. I just keep my mind occupied well into retirement so that it does not fade away. Everything from Teddy bears to AK47's! 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 09:24:59 »
I am an old man but i partake in so many varied things I think most people would be pleasantly surprised. I just keep my mind occupied well into retirement so that it does not fade away. Everything from Teddy bears to AK47's!

I do not yet have an AK, unfortunately. Too impractical to convince myself to pick one up yet. The ergonomics, and cartridge, are far from ideal.

Offline bz

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:43:50 »
I collected Hot Wheels models and Lego Bionicle.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:53:11 »
I collected Hot Wheels models and Lego Bionicle.

I think I still have my original Bionicle figures around somewhere, and tons of old Hot Wheels, and LEGOS ... although mostly no longer in complete sets.

That's a great sig by the way. The rest of my response was seriously mostly just an excuse to compliment it without being completely irrelevant to the thread.

Offline typo

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 05:19:30 »
AK I do not even fire it. It is just a must have collector piece. Desert Eagle, That is very fun. Totally impractical but just fun. The recoil makes you sure to miss anything. I know I am going from fully automatic long to revolver but just talking about useless firearms.   

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:20:41 »
AK I do not even fire it. It is just a must have collector piece. Desert Eagle, That is very fun. Totally impractical but just fun. The recoil makes you sure to miss anything. I know I am going from fully automatic long to revolver but just talking about useless firearms.

When most people talk about AKs, they mean semi autos. Only the rich can afford a fully automatic pre-ban AK-47. I would shoot that thing every week if I had one of those. I wouldn't mind a Deagle myself. I would rather have a 10mm double stack of some kind though.

Offline typo

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:04:34 »
I got it from Russia before the price went crazy. I never knew that would happen. It is exactly because of the ban the price went crazy. You have to remember my age. Which I am not saying but I am up there. It has not been fired in so long or even taken apart I am afraid what could go wrong. If that jams I am dead.

The Eagle price went nuts my friend told me too. I think I only paid $750. I am kind of good at figuring out what is a keeper. Not just guns though, a lot of stuff. Lost huge on Beanie Babies though. That is funny I go from a deadly weapon to a Childs toy. I collect anything collectable. We are not hoarders though. Our home is very clean. Even with multiple pets present. One thing i really like is glass marbles. Some of you might have no clue about marbles. I do not mean like a kids toy. You can spend a cool Million on 1 marble! Google Sellman glass Chicago. Fountain pens, Knives... just about anything. See the thing is though I always end up buying pennies on the dollar somehow. I am not sure but I just come across deals. There is like a candy store in Elgin Illinois. It is called GAT GUNS. If anyone ever can you must see this place. I know I ramble but I think faster than I can type. I apologize for that.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 20:13:51 »
I got it from Russia before the price went crazy. I never knew that would happen. It is exactly because of the ban the price went crazy. You have to remember my age. Which I am not saying but I am up there. It has not been fired in so long or even taken apart I am afraid what could go wrong. If that jams I am dead.

The Eagle price went nuts my friend told me too. I think I only paid $750. I am kind of good at figuring out what is a keeper. Not just guns though, a lot of stuff. Lost huge on Beanie Babies though. That is funny I go from a deadly weapon to a Childs toy. I collect anything collectable. We are not hoarders though. Our home is very clean. Even with multiple pets present. One thing i really like is glass marbles. Some of you might have no clue about marbles. I do not mean like a kids toy. You can spend a cool Million on 1 marble! Google Sellman glass Chicago. Fountain pens, Knives... just about anything. See the thing is though I always end up buying pennies on the dollar somehow. I am not sure but I just come across deals. There is like a candy store in Elgin Illinois. It is called GAT GUNS. If anyone ever can you must see this place. I know I ramble but I think faster than I can type. I apologize for that.

The Hughes Amendment of 1986 was because the $200 tax stamp, in place since the NFA of 1934 (which is unconstitutional for multiple reasons) was finally becoming affordable for everyday Americans. Our overlords couldn't let every average Joe have their constitutional rights. AKs are pretty bulletproof, pun intended. They were designed to be rugged. Very loose tolerances. Even if there were some rust here or there, I imagine it would function perfectly. They were meant to function literally caked in ice. I haven't really heard of AKs exploding at all, happens more with AR-15s, since people mess around with custom loads and mixmaster parts on those more. You would be surprised how long a good oiling lasts, especially if it is stored in a climate-controlled environment. There are 100-year-old rifles that look brand new just because they were dunked in cosmoline before they were tossed in some musty warehouse somewhere.

How long ago did you get the Deagle? I imagine a lot of that was inflation. I don't think there's much demand for them. They're more of a cool meme gun than a useful tool, like a Barrett.

Those are some cool marbles. I don't know if they're hundreds of dollars cool, but to each their own.

I haven't heard of Gat Guns. What makes them stand out? I did get my M48a from RGuns down in Illinois, when they were selling ones that looked like they just came out of the factory for $250.

Offline typo

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 00:02:26 »
You must go to GAT guns. Trust me. You never saw anything like it. It is like 3 floors of Bass Pro only guns! AR15 is all plastic. I do not trust it. they made it because people cannot get an AK anymore. Only reason. I am too sick to try the AK now anyways. Or I would just go do it Tomorrow. Too bad I never used it.

I think I got the Eagle in the mid 90's or something. My wife gave it to me for my birthday. I am pretty sure she paid about $750 then. Now they are more than twice that. It is a stupid gun. Unless your wrist is so strong the recoil you are sure to miss your target. I have a series 1 Glock too. I got these things when they came out, not now. Now they are a lot of money.

Marbles, hundreds? Did you look? Try hundreds of thousands! Look at the "auction". That is the big money ones. I would not pay that. Don't have it. My most expensive one is $600. Flashlights is a big thing too. I have some Surefire and 1 custom. I got in on the ground floor of the build so that was not a lot either. I am just not loaded but i like stuff :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:54:57 »
You must go to GAT guns. Trust me. You never saw anything like it. It is like 3 floors of Bass Pro only guns! AR15 is all plastic. I do not trust it. they made it because people cannot get an AK anymore. Only reason. I am too sick to try the AK now anyways. Or I would just go do it Tomorrow. Too bad I never used it.

I think I got the Eagle in the mid 90's or something. My wife gave it to me for my birthday. I am pretty sure she paid about $750 then. Now they are more than twice that. It is a stupid gun. Unless your wrist is so strong the recoil you are sure to miss your target. I have a series 1 Glock too. I got these things when they came out, not now. Now they are a lot of money.

Marbles, hundreds? Did you look? Try hundreds of thousands! Look at the "auction". That is the big money ones. I would not pay that. Don't have it. My most expensive one is $600. Flashlights is a big thing too. I have some Surefire and 1 custom. I got in on the ground floor of the build so that was not a lot either. I am just not loaded but i like stuff :)

That does sound really cool. I'll have to take a trip there, if only just to drool (I have been trying to reign in my spending lately, and keyboards are already bad enough).

The AR-15 actually predates the adoption of the M16, which was just a military adaptation from the AR-15. The AR-15 has been around since at least the late 1950s, I believe, and is basically functionally identical to its predecessor, the AR-10, which is basically the same rifle in 7.62 NATO. Their receivers are actually made entirely of CNCed aluminum. Most of the internals, especially the important parts of the action, are made of steel. The barrels are also steel. The original furniture was polymer, yes, but that has more to do with the theme of weight savings than anything of structural importance. Most modern AR-15s now have aluminum, or even carbon fiber, free-float handguards to improve repeatable precision, and there are wood furniture sets available, if you were so inclined to buy them.

In short, the parts that must be very durable are, the parts that could be a little lighter instead are. Between that and the extremely ergonomic locations of the controls, the ease of field stripping, and the high velocity, small diameter, low recoiling, flat shooting cartridge, the AR-15 is very much a high speed, low drag sort of tool (not to sound too tacticool, lol).

Without writing a book about it, the AK-47 meets its designed operating parameters well, and probably exceeds them in many categories. The AR-15 certainly does as well. The AR, however, is more easily customizable, much lighter, more ergonomic, more repeatably precise at a given range, effective at much longer ranges (compared against the original 7.62x39 chambering), can be toted with more ammunition at the same weight, and is actually much less susceptible to the ingress of debris of all sorts than the AK (which itself often leads to malfunctions in any platform), and has quicker (aimed) repeated follow-up shots.

If I needed to survive the apocalypse without ever being able to service or, especially not be able to lubricate/clean it for whatever reason, ever again, and/or needed to be able to use it in literally every extreme environment on earth, maybe I would want an AK. Otherwise, I'm AR-15 all of the way, every day.

I imagine you could still take out the AK and have some fun, the 7.62x39 cartridge is pretty girthy, with some mass, but it is still an intermediate cartridge. It certainly isn't nearly as bad as a large hunting cartridge like .30-06 in terms of recoil.

That's a fantastic birthday gift. .50 AE is no joke, but the old ones were entirely steel I believe, and not light. I imagine that helps a lot with the recoil. It can't be as bad as .500 S&W, etc, or even lighter snubby revolvers in your average magnum cartridge. With how quickly a projectile leaves the barrel, ideally, its trajectory is already set before much muzzle flip occurs. It should never be appreciable, that's for sure. The problem is that people flinch when anticipating the coming recoil of large/hot cartridges, and that causes precision problems. Glocks are still in the mid-range, although they're certainly not worth the $500 they cost, no matter how well they're engineered and manufactured. I hear Gaston Glock was going to price it at a fraction of the final retail cost but was swayed to jack up the price by the bean counters. I'm a little old school in that I like to have either a manual thumb safety (ideally) or a double action trigger. With the right practice/training, there's no detriment, and a major benefit in added safety. To each their own, especially since you seem to not worry so much about practical considerations, just collection.

Yeah, I just looked at the random offerings on their landing page. I'll look again later. I get most of my lights as surplus. It is much cheaper that way. I snatched up a lot of TLR-1s, so I'm pretty well set in that regard.

If you haven't noticed, I know a lot more about firearms than I do about keyboards.

Offline typo

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 15:44:35 »
You most certainly do know a lot about firearms! I am glad you posted that lesson. That was very informative. I just learned a lot. It is interesting what people know that you had no idea. I had no clue about the AR. I thought it was literally a cheap toy. I mean they are not a lot of money stock. Guy up here says he sells about 3 a day. This is the middle of nowhere. I bet GAT sells many a day. that it is probably it with the Eagle I flinch. The newer ones are indeed lighter. .50 cal is pretty big though. I mean for a Pistol. All my guns have locks in them. even though we have no little kids anymore or anything. It only takes one kind of strange accident. A series 1 Glock is not worth $500. Try 5 Grand lol. I bought it when it was $280. In the early 80's. I got my AK in the 70's. There would be no way I could buy those things now.  I can't go shoot. Unfortunately I am in bed Bro. Luckily I am not alone.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 16:34:37 »
You most certainly do know a lot about firearms! I am glad you posted that lesson. That was very informative. I just learned a lot. It is interesting what people know that you had no idea. I had no clue about the AR. I thought it was literally a cheap toy. I mean they are not a lot of money stock. Guy up here says he sells about 3 a day. This is the middle of nowhere. I bet GAT sells many a day. that it is probably it with the Eagle I flinch. The newer ones are indeed lighter. .50 cal is pretty big though. I mean for a Pistol. All my guns have locks in them. even though we have no little kids anymore or anything. It only takes one kind of strange accident. A series 1 Glock is not worth $500. Try 5 Grand lol. I bought it when it was $280. In the early 80's. I got my AK in the 70's. There would be no way I could buy those things now.  I can't go shoot. Unfortunately I am in bed Bro. Luckily I am not alone.

The reason that the AR is available at such affordable prices is that it was one of the very first firearms designed from the ground up around truly modern manufacturing processes. It has an upper and lower receiver with plenty of space between where they meet for machining, and everything is held together by pins that are relatively easy to install. The parts are cranked out by CNC or MIM, and assembly is basically like a hot swap kit keyboard in that they're like LEGOs. You can pick your parts and toss them together with no specialized tools at all other than a barrel wrench. They're also being manufactured en masse by a lot of different companies, so you've got economies of scale and no shortage of supply heaped on that. Some higher-end ARs can cost thousands, a DPMS can be had for $300 sometimes. They're all going to be relatively accurate and reliable because their manufacture is so easily repeatable and the design is quite good in almost all regards.

AKs, by contrast, even in the final design, after waffling between stamped and milled receivers, as difficulties arose, have more fiddly manufacturing. Even the stamped receivers have multiple welds involved to install the rails, the barrel needs to be press-fit, etc, and once you've got the rest of it fabricated, the whole thing still literally needs to be assembled with rivets, which takes some trial and error and good QC to do right.

That's all partly why I refer to kit keyboards interchangeably as LEGO keyboards. ARs are considered the same in that community. They're designed to just mix and match as much as possible without much work required by the user. AKs, if you even have the tools and skills to try to build one in a garage, are truly a build in every sense of the word.

I think they still make the full steel ones, but they've got some that are partially aluminum now, with lightening cuts, etc. I keep most of mine unloaded in a safe. I do keep some handy though in case of trespassers. I keep the rooms they're in locked when I'm not around.

Have Glocks already become collectors items? That's where you would know more than me. I don't have much interest in the polymer wonder 9s, though I see their utility and appreciate their engineering. I was just going off of the approximate value of a new Glock today.

You could get a semi auto AK. Quality ones are available for under $500 sometimes from Palmetto.

It had sounded like you had weathered the proverbial storm, in previous conversations. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 23:12:41 by Maledicted »

Offline typo

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:44:34 »
No, I am not doing well unfortunately but i really appreciate your concern. I would have liked to have had known more about guns. i just have them because everybody does. I bought cheap ones. I had no idea they would become expensive. I really do not know why a Glock is a collector item either. I can see why they outlawed fully auto. that is a weapon of war. Last thing gangs need. There is no way to separate law abiding citizens from criminals. So only answer is to outlaw. Full auto can do huge damage. When you have to pull the trigger you have to think. Although those people have no morals anyways. It won't stop them. I just keep locks in case they get stolen. I imagine they can be defeated though. I am not afraid of intruders. No one comes here. Not even on gps. I had no idea about AR either. I had no idea it was good quality. I always saw military kids buying one. If I recover I want to get one now. I like that I can service it myself. What is the difference between a cheap and expensive one? Sorry i am clueless.

Offline Aaron_92

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 09:35:38 »
Always looking for something geek and fun, and recently my friend invited me to a new game, akinator. an online edition of "guess who". Curious if anyone tried it too? this app guesses pretty well, a good way to spend time when you're bored with friends.

Offline MDemerse1

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 07:07:48 »
I spend time taking photographs, flipping furniture, and writing really bad sci-fi/fantasy short stories.  Luckily for  me my "keyboard" obsession has to be limited due to cost and storage limitations: I like collecting older industrial input devices.  But they're few and far between in my price range, so I usually have to be satisfied with pictures and descriptions like https://www.axcontrol.com/automation/ge-boards/mark-iv-ds3800/DS3820PIMB1A1B.

That keyboard input was used on power-producing turbine systems around the world, btw.   A lot of them are still out there actively working decades after their initial production.  Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 07:56:30 »
If I could do one thing and be successful, it would be to get some books published. I hired a writing coach in early 2019 mostly to keep me accountable. It’s to easy to let weeks and months go by without writing but since hiring her I’ve made decent progress. 2 books are up to 70k words one 30k and the main one I’m working on is at 130k. I write fiction and fantasy. No sci-fi yet but probably one day.

It ties in to this hobby pretty nicely. It’s fun to bust out a new board before a weekend writing session. It also helps identify which boards need work.

Video games have kind of fallen off the radar for me. I love a good Halo system link party and I host those every once in a while but if I ever play an RPG or FPS it’s only for like an hour here an hour there, never for hours on end like when I was a kid. I donno, maybe there’s something wrong with me.

Other than that, I take my car to the track sometimes. I drive a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8, manual. It’s got 346 hp but I’m thinking about putting a supercharger on it.

I also go to CrossFit every day and my wife and I lead a church small group.
Oh, and Star Wars, Star Trek and LotR. Like big time. I’ve made tons O.S. SW costumes and collect lightsabers from saber forge and ultrasabers. I’ve never been to a convent but hope to one day. I’d like to start collecting eaglemoss starship model one day too but keyboards always take precedence. As far as LotR, read all the books. Silmarillion is my favorite book of all time.

In summary, big nerd with a fun car who tries to stay fit and is also a backsliden gamer.

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:57:16 »
Video Games and 3D Modeling/Printing

The latter of the two can tie into the hobby pretty well, but I enjoy it as a standalone as well.

nice a fellow printer. What printer you´re rocking?
I bought a really cheap knock off of a Anet a8. The father of a friend bought and build it, but it didnt work.
So i got it for cheap and got it to print, Now its month later and ive swapped every component of that printer :D
addicting stuff. Got a project atm?

Offline fliz

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 12:44:32 »
Can we start individual threads for some of the hobbies mentioned in here? There probably ought to be a gun thread. :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 11:01:35 »
Can we start individual threads for some of the hobbies mentioned in here? There probably ought to be a gun thread. :)

I have thought the same and have just been too lazy thus far.

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 19:10:22 »
I usually read books or meditate. Meditation is a great help in organizing your thoughts!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 09:29:39 »
This morning I set up my first bee hive.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 10:22:50 »

The bees have moved in already?!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 10:45:53 »
Sadly, no, you have to buy bees unless you can catch a swarm which is not impossible but highly unlikely.

There are various ways that bees are sold, but the "sure thing" (and most expensive ~ $185) that gets you up and running the fastest is to buy a "nuc" or nucleus colony which is basically a complete miniature colony with an active, egg-laying queen, her attendant workers, and frames with eggs, larvae, and some honey already in them. It comes in a cardboard or plastic box, which is only a temporary container for transportation.

So you buy your gear, build your boxes and frames, and when it is all ready and waiting you install the nuc.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 12:12:05 »
can you keep bees in the backyard,  what if the neighbor sues you if your bee stung him.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 12:42:05 »
That would be a frivolous suit, what evidence could prove that that particular bee was a resident of your particular hive? Wild bees can live in astonishing places.

Fortunately, in the State of Tennessee you are indemnified if you register your hive.

However, there are some neighborhoods that have covenants that could restrict you from installing a hive.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 15:33:56 »

The past decade I rarely see wild bees at all. Used to see swarms of them as a kid on trees and trash cans, now whenever I see one it is alone and seems sluggish and sick :(

Offline -boxes-

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 01:20:17 »
The pandemic kinda put a damper on a lot of my hobbies but for the past year I've been killing time with electronics kits.  Light up Christmas trees, radios, that sort of thing.  I got into shortwave listening a while back so still doing that (and trying not to buy too many radios... more fun to make them). Then there's the usual reading, video games, & Star Trek....

Offline jamster

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 01:49:35 »

How much... honey? honeycomb? do you get from something like that?

Turns out I have some distant in-laws who run a business in Minnesota selling bee colonies, which until recently I had not even realised was a thing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 07:01:34 »

How much .... do you get from something like that?

Of course it all depends on the raw materials (nectar and pollen) available, but several pounds/kilos/gallons/liters per hive with a strong colony in a good location.

I am doing it as a hobby and I will be happy if I get a few jars at the end of the summer, and won't be upset if I get none, at least for the first year.

To have a realistic honey business, you would need quite a few hives and quite a bit of equipment to extract it.

Probably the bigger business is moving hives around to pollinate crops.

- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 20:54:31 »
I am starting to like cooking

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 00:10:02 »

a very useful and rewarding skill

Offline seokjin

• smooth like butter
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 16:00:33 »
I feel like I have a lot of hobbies but I don't put enough effort or time aside to do them because I get exhausted from working and then video games is just the easier option to fill up my free time.

So ya video games is probably my main hobby but I'm also really interested in 3D modeling so I want to continue learning Blender and I also really want to learn some languages so have been learning Korean on and off (mainly off) for the past year or so :D

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 00:26:39 »
Meth? Quite lucrative I hear.

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 20:32:58 »
I like building just about anything. I’m in the middle of building a Van’s RV-14 (aircraft). It seems like a lot but it’s just a series of very small projects that all roll into one project. Also enjoy aviation, computer stuff, gym, snow skiing, board games… lots of stuff to do.

Offline Katlicious

• Cable Artisan & Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 16:37:34 »
Making cables, games and of course keyboards ..  :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 02:57:03 »
About 3y ago I started doing endurance road cycling. For last couple years, have been training 5 days a week (except flu or something), about 10h per week. And endurance ride (like a century = 160 miles) takes about 6 hours. So yeah.. most of my off-work time goes to cycling now. Makes it difficult to combine it with my own programming projects, which also take time.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 04:45:58 »
I always wanted to be that books geek, swallowing them one after another. But every time was picking a book, I was falling asleep after 20 pages ;)
So few years ago I tried audiobooks and now I listen to them almost everyday.
Especially when I drive to/from work, always have some audiobook on, fantastic way to spend a time in traffic.
Those big production versions are even better - those with multiple actors, special effects etc
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 January 2022, 05:53:32 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline kisstheringz

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 10:06:42 »
Games and getting fat in my old age.

Offline scr4tchit

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 16:27:10 »
A lot of my free time is spent doing aviation related activities (mainly gliding/ sailplanes)

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 05:17:30 »
Games, sculpting(Blender) and now plants. I don't have spare time, nor space in my room/office

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 08:47:12 »
Aquascaping

Offline yui

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 05:31:42 »
full-stack web dev, from baremetal to the website and full enterprise level network in my house :) and fixing my new-to-me car
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 00:10:20 »
I have a new hobby of doing character doodles of customers and people I work with. The goal is to do it in under 5mins, but still be recognizable as that person.
None of them are flattering, I like to accentuate a person's worst/most noticeable features and really make them look like grotesque homunculi. Everyone loves them!

Offline Tastenplatte

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 05:06:47 »
I have a new hobby of doing character doodles of customers and people I work with. The goal is to do it in under 5mins, but still be recognizable as that person.
None of them are flattering, I like to accentuate a person's worst/most noticeable features and really make them look like grotesque homunculi. Everyone loves them!

Do you just practice a lot or do you have ressources for learning?

Offline jamster

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 22:26:04 »
I finally got some inline skates today. All adult sizes of everything have been sold out locally, so I had to settle for plastic frames (the only adult sized pair in town). The weather was rainy today and will be tomorrow too, so I had to stick with practicing in the garage, but I was a lot better at it than I have been in the past. Excited for a new hobby and form of exercise.

(Attachment Link)

This was a while back now, but how did this end up going?

I miss rollerblading!