Author Topic: How often do you play games?  (Read 7873 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
How often do you play games?
« on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 03:46:13 »
I'm wondering how often do you guys play games. We have those "what games are you playing" threads and we all participate in these confessions, but I was wondering how often do you really have time for gaming? How long your sessions take when you sit in front of your favourite game? Do you do that in the evenings? What day? Do you wait for weekend, do you have time during the week?
Share with us:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: How often do you play games?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 06:38:26 »
It's all very random and different.
Whenever I don't have any work or there is any interesting tournament going on I spend my time gaming.
It's definitely not as much as it used to be, but I still get in a few hours a week I'd say, on average.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 11:43:33 »
at least an hour of tetris-dx every day. [gb-color]

Personal best, Tetris dx, 2,341,368  ..  1,018 lines

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 14:07:11 »
Much much less than I used to, and I get bored with them much faster. Rare is it I ever beat a game these days. Rare is it I even play for more than a few hours a week.
RPGs are out the window. I don't have the time or patience for them anymore. Also I have grown to hate cutscenes. I don't like having control taken away, having the game stop, or any instance longer than a few seconds where I'm not playing, but I think that has to do with my changes in how I think game design should be done. Almost 100% systemically off the player's actions.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 14:41:52 »
at least an hour of tetris-dx every day. [gb-color]

Show Image

Personal best, Tetris dx, 2,341,368  ..  1,018 lines

Which GBC are you rocking? I haven't played it in years, but I keep my atomic purple one around.

I may go months without playing at all. I rarely have the energy and/or motivation, if I happen to have the time. Other times I may play all weekend. Weeknights are usually too draining. I think I most often just lie down and pass out after work.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:33:40 »
Which GBC are you rocking? I haven't played it in years, but I keep my atomic purple one around.

I may go months without playing at all. I rarely have the energy and/or motivation, if I happen to have the time. Other times I may play all weekend. Weeknights are usually too draining. I think I most often just lie down and pass out after work.

Get a flash cart, reinvigorating.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112576.0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:53:18 »

Get a flash cart, reinvigorating.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112576.0

Why do that when I have all of the GB/GBC Pokemon games anyway? Would be nice to try some of the games I never got to though as well. I was going to add an SD card slot to one of my Dreamcasts at some point too. Already had a bunch of modded OG Xbox consoles lying around for years with upgraded hard drives. In the last 6 months I finally got around to slapping a hard drive in my phat PS2 for FreeHDBoot ... even if I've only thrown Battlefront and Timesplitters on it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 17:36:58 »
Why do that when I have all of the GB/GBC Pokemon games anyway? Would be nice to try some of the games I never got to though as well. I was going to add an SD card slot to one of my Dreamcasts at some point too. Already had a bunch of modded OG Xbox consoles lying around for years with upgraded hard drives. In the last 6 months I finally got around to slapping a hard drive in my phat PS2 for FreeHDBoot ... even if I've only thrown Battlefront and Timesplitters on it.

OG xbox and ps2 fpses can be really hard to play because of controller + low frame rate.

2D 60fps consoles are solid throughout time.

Dreamcast games are mostly arcade-y so they hold up well to controller input.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 19:41:24 »

OG xbox and ps2 fpses can be really hard to play because of controller + low frame rate.

2D 60fps consoles are solid throughout time.

Dreamcast games are mostly arcade-y so they hold up well to controller input.

You're talking to somebody who played Crysis on max settings with a single Nvidia 9800 GT. I would stop and adjust more often when I thought my poor GPU was going to burst into flames than any concern for frame rates. Frames don't bother me until they start getting well below 20. Before I had that tortured piece of silicon, and a long period after it was thoroughly obsolete, I was mostly a console peasant out of necessity. Halo kind of became the FPS to play for a while too until it was ruined on Xbox 360.

Alas Timesplitters Rewind is still in pseudo development/undeath. Until that's released, the only way to play one of the best FPS franchises of all time is on console or with an emulator.

Controllers do suck though for just about everything other than fighting, racing and platformers.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 01:34:12 »
Much much less than I used to, and I get bored with them much faster. Rare is it I ever beat a game these days. Rare is it I even play for more than a few hours a week.
RPGs are out the window. I don't have the time or patience for them anymore. Also I have grown to hate cutscenes. I don't like having control taken away, having the game stop, or any instance longer than a few seconds where I'm not playing, but I think that has to do with my changes in how I think game design should be done. Almost 100% systemically off the player's actions.

Man, this is basically how I feel too. When I was younger, I hated "linear" games, but now every game is some sandbox, open world, crafting game with no purpose or it's an RPG with mechanics I can't be bothered to learn or so much reading I just give up. Now, I really prefer more linear games that have a distinct purpose and focus. They're also usually short enough that I can realistically find the time to beat them.

Nowadays I'm all about games that are intuitive to play. I hate tutorials; just teach me to play the game as I'm playing it.

I've found that older games or really odd, creative games have a better chance of holding my attention now. It's more fun to just boot up the N64 or my WinXP machine and play one mission of whatever game and then turn it off, or to play something that's so different it's hard to fit into a genre.

-------------------------------

For me, it's really sporadic how much I play. When I have friends who play online, I sometimes play several hours every night with them for weeks at a time (earlier in the year, I was playing with a group so much that I had to take a few days off playing just to catch up on sleep). If not, it completely depends on whether there's currently a game that grabs me. Recently, I've been playing single player games maybe one hour per night during the week and two or three hours on Saturdays and Sundays. That said, I typically find it hard to play anything for more than an hour per session, so the time on weekends is usually split up into multiple sessions.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 06:20:53 »
I play alot, but I also have my son who likes to play along side me in Destiny 2 and a few other games I rotate through. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 08:24:11 »
I aim train almost every day and i play downwell every day, so daily for 4-6 hours

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 10:41:14 »
I try to get in a few 3-4 hour sessions in a week though the frequency of those sessions has gone down some. If I installed blender from steam though, I'd be gaming daily!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:49:33 »
I play a couple of matches of various games every day just to cool down, something like an half to a full hour, but on weekends I usually will grind out a 3-hour sesh with friends.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 00:43:06 »
I play a couple of matches of various games every day just to cool down, something like an half to a full hour, but on weekends I usually will grind out a 3-hour sesh with friends.

friends make time fly and everything way more engaging and fun for sure

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 13:05:53 »
Never anymore. Now I just watch others play the games for me on twitch, that way I get the entertainment of the game + of the wacky commentary for free.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 14:04:06 »
Never anymore. Now I just watch others play the games for me on twitch, that way I get the entertainment of the game + of the wacky commentary for free.

When one gets to the point where, gaming feels like something they aught to "Pay YOU" to do

= Grown up

Tp4 is mostly past this point now, entering the Dying phase.  Don't really watch any gaming.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 16:30:28 »
I recently became ill with covid-19. I moved away from my parents. Since I didn't want to infect them. I've been on self-isolation for a week now. I've been re-reading what I've had. And now I'm thinking about how I can entertain myself. I would play some games. But I only have a working laptop. I can't download anything good on it. What kind of games would you recommend?

I would try some old games on GOG, dosbox stuff.
Lots of great 90s era adventure point&click games.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mylordie

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 04:33:12 »
I play games every day despite no free time. I usually play on my mobile devices. There are several games there my son plays. Minecraft, Dragon City etc. Actually, some games are cool enough to spend free time. However, donation that developers force me to pay  led me to using mod for private servers. It is better option and now i spend less time on improving useless characteristics.

Offline kizuna

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 09:06:58 »
I only play a few hours a week and I only have time to play arcade fighters. I don't have the time to play games with campaigns or online because it takes too much of my time.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 16:38:53 »
Every weekend, and (while working from home) half an hour during "lunch time" during the week if I can.

Satisfactory occasionally requires a little time to manufacture resources, so I sometimes leave it running in the background and check up on power use and milestone requirements occasionally.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline seokjin

• smooth like butter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 15:14:07 »
Not as much as I'd like to! I could easily play 12-16 hours a day when I was younger and didn't have responsibilities lmao but it varies nowadays as I prefer playing games with my friends as opposed to alone so just depends on everyone's schedules. I think I only really play 3 or 4 hours on a weekday and if I'm not doing anything on the weekend then I'll play from midday to 11pm with some breaks inbetween to cook food etc.

Since I've started working from home, I'll sometimes just play a couple ARAM games on League of Legends during my lunch break as if it's a reward for working hard!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 17:05:04 »
Every weekend, and (while working from home) half an hour during "lunch time" during the week if I can.

Satisfactory occasionally requires a little time to manufacture resources, so I sometimes leave it running in the background and check up on power use and milestone requirements occasionally.

That's funny. I was playing Doom 2: The Plutonia Experiment while I was in a meeting today. I probably made a couple funny faces on the recording when chaingunners surprised me.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline sapisoi

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 12:41:01 »
i play dota 2 everyday, but only 2 games max per day