Author Topic: All Cicadas all the time  (Read 10277 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
All Cicadas all the time
« on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 10:51:20 »
A quick stroll around my fence tallied over 100 larvae crawling up, with 5 on the bird house alone.
My birds are going to be gorged. I will pick up a few dozen and try some cooking experiments.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Re: All Cicadas all the time
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:05:15 »
I will pick up a few dozen and try some cooking experiments.

For YOU or the birds to eat?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:09:56 »

They're edible.  Not that Tp4 recommends it. Humans are Herbivores.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:29:20 »

Humans are Herbivores.

The creatures are all-natural and their existence does not contribute to the degradation of the planet.

https://www.cicadamania.com/

TL;DR

"Once the cicada hatches from the egg it will begin to feed on the tree fluids. At this point, it looks like a termite or small white ant. Once the young cicada is ready, it crawls from the groove and falls to the ground where it will dig until it finds roots to feed on. It will typically start with smaller grass roots and work its way up to the roots of its host tree. The cicada will stay underground from 2 to 17 years depending on the species. Cicadas are active underground, tunneling, and feeding, and not sleeping or hibernating as commonly thought.

After the long 2 to 17 years, cicadas emerge from the ground as nymphs. Nymphs climb the nearest available vertical surface (usually a plant) and begin to shed their nymph exoskeleton. Free of their old skin, their wings will inflate with fluid (haemolymph) and their adult skin will harden (sclerotize). Once their new wings and body are ready, they can begin their brief adult life.

Adult cicadas, also called imagoes, spend their time in trees looking for a mate. Males sing (or otherwise vibrate the air or their surroundings), females respond, mating begins, and the cycle of life begins again."
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iri

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 17:12:20 »

Fohat is keeping us in suspense
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 19:04:13 »
To be honest, there is a group of doves that relentlessly empties one of my bird feeders while carelessly wasting the majority of it. I wouldn't mind eating them, too.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 20:14:53 »
To be honest, there is a group of doves that relentlessly empties one of my bird feeders while carelessly wasting the majority of it. I wouldn't mind eating them, too.

text me that cicada-dove pie recipe

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 09:26:50 »
I have to catch the little ***** first. At least the cicadas, after they are spent, just let you pick them up and put them in the jar.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 09:38:28 »
I had a dove as a pet, they can be pretty cool.  Dumb, but cool.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 09:53:48 »
asdf

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:16:50 »
Long time bird feeder here.   The trick for stopping birds throwing feed all over is to use sunflower seed (favorite in Missouri) or another single type on the top feeder.  Then throw millet on the ground.    Birds tend to want what they want and throw everything else out of the way.   That mix bird food with everything in one bag is the devil.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 09:07:25 »

throw millet on the ground

No. The ground is not visible from my window, and the reason that I feed birds is to provide for my own entertainment. They aren't going to get rewarded unless they stage a performance for me.

The fence around the bottle's mouth works well, it is difficult to empty that compartment with a mere the swipe of a wing. Now my cardinals, finches, and other small birds can get their chance at it.

Above the bottle feeder are other feeders containing sunflower seeds, thistle, and suet.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 21:55:18 »
The numbers mount.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:40:12 »
Burn everything

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 03:00:55 »
The numbers mount.

Wooow, that is.. a lot.
By the way, I read that bit about life of cicadas - it is interesting!  :p
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 21:37:30 »
A quick stroll around my fence tallied over 100 larvae crawling up, with 5 on the bird house alone.
My birds are going to be gorged. I will pick up a few dozen and try some cooking experiments.

is that the bug that makes the loud noise

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 February 2024, 14:30:58 »
I just read that this year will be another big year for cicadas in the EAstern US, and/but I will be amazed if it is as huge as it was in 2021.

Apparently there will be 2 broods that coincide (17-year "Brood XIII" and 13-year "Brood XIX") around Illinois and Indiana, and that is where they will see - and HEAR - the biggest event.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 February 2024, 14:37:59 »
Around here they peaked about mid-May.

Offline SageCrowDesign

• Vendor
    • Sage Crow Design Deskmats
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 February 2024, 03:17:39 »
I find their sound somewhat comforting, but that is too many right next to your house!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 February 2024, 08:30:30 »
During the last emergence a few years ago, my son and I were sitting on the patio late in the afternoon, and the sound was very loud and the millions of voices blended into what seemed like a single consistent, gently pulsing sound wash. Eventually he said that he had it - the sound was very similar to the sound of the phasers on the original series of Star Trek.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 February 2024, 08:58:47 »
It's ok when you have millions, but if you get just that 1 Cricker in the house, jesus, he just goes off whenever he wants to, and won't let you sleep.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 February 2024, 16:42:18 »
When I was a kid in the 80s I remember they hit super hard one Summer. The entire sides of the houses, all the trees in the neighborhood, all the posts on the deck, and wooden fences - absolutely coated in them. Brushing the shells off reminded me of brushing chicken pox off your skin, they were that dense.

I don't see many insects any more, just in general. I feel like the disappearance of insects in the World is an important thing no one is talking about.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 February 2024, 17:42:06 »

the disappearance of insects in the World

A few years ago we had a huge hatch, and since they have been referred to as a "food" since prehistory (Kosher laws actually make a special exception to allow "locusts" to be eaten) I started collecting them. It was easy because they are so docile, a standard baggie holds about 50 and I put them straight into the freezer even though that is probably not a pleasant death for an insect.

But then I read that they had just spent 13 years underground as grubs, absorbing toxins being sprayed by my neighbors. Ugh. So they went into the compost.