Author Topic: Summer Is The Darkest Season.  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Summer Is The Darkest Season.
« on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 09:31:58 »
As opposed to winter, autumn or early spring, I feel forced to keep all of my windows and blinds/curtains shut during the day to avoid the from place heating up too much. I have almost no daylight at all during the summer months, and am only able to open my windows once the sun goes down. During winter and early spring, I can keep my windows open all day. Ironically the season with the most daylight hours becomes the season with the least daylight to me. I not only obverse this behavior in myself, but in many other households as well.

I personally hate summer with a passion to begin with, and this only adds to my dislike for the season. The heat and high humidity, the insects, the birds, the blindingly bright sunlight, the increased electricity bill due to AC use. And on top the inability to do anything about it all. People with allergies suffer even more.

During the winter you can simply heat your house and wear warm clothing. If I want to cool down, I simply open a window. But during summer? All you can do is suffer. It is much more energy efficient to heat a space then it is to cool it. It also takes exponentially more effort to cool something then to heat it. Even from a purely logical point of view this season sucks. Even if you have an air-conditioned home, you are still powerless once you step outside.

I like to wear formal clothing, and my sensitivity to warm weather prevents me to wearing what I enjoy without suffering for it. There is really nothing about the summer that I like.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 June 2021, 09:35:58 by Olumin »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Summer Is The Darkest Season.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:29:57 »
I fell your pain, I personally prefer Spring and Fall - even though spring here in the South East US (Georgia) can get fairly brutal.  The weather down here during the summer is why I would flee for Nantucket for the summers as hottest it would get is 30c with a constant ocean breeze, and the evenings were perfect at a comfy 18-20c.  But here you walk outside and the humidity makes it feel like you're wading through a thick soup/chowder. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 11:12:21 »
I agree, except for the AC part as I don't have any at home or at work.  Oh and I quite like birds.

At least now I've escaped the office I can wear shorts.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 12:50:02 »
If I'm outdoors, I prefer being hot to being cold; consequently, I like summer more because I can do things outside. Every athletic activity that sucks in the heat sucks more in the cold. I consider the idea that infinite layers can be worn to warm up a fallacy in practice because any activity causes me to become overheated and then need to strip layers. I invariably get cold hands and feet and nose to which there is almost no solution.

If I'm indoors, I prefer being cold to hot for the reasons mentioned in the OP. I very rarely open my windows though, and I've never noticed increased heat from opening just the blinds but maybe that's because my house's windows face north and south, not east and west.

Regarding formal attire, I have no idea how people wore suits indoors in the south before AC was invented.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 13:12:28 »
Regarding formal attire, I have no idea how people wore suits indoors in the south before AC was invented.

In southern countries suits made of lighter cotton and linen fabrics were often worn instead of the heavier wool, and in lighter colors that wouldn't heat up so much in the sun. More formal suits were/are almost always wool. The Panama hat was very common, which is essentially a fedora made of straw and much better for warm climates. Also, in warmer countries, in less formal occasions many wore just button up shirts with cotton/linen pants instead of whole 2- or 3-piece suits.

The biggest difference however is that these people would just be used to it. I would imagine someone growing up in Brasil to be more heat tolerant then a person growing up in the north. But not always.

Offline iri

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:11:52 »
Note to self: avoid the scorching hell of summer Hamburg.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Olumin

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:23:13 »
Note to self: avoid the scorching hell of summer Hamburg.

It usually isnt that bad, at least for most pople I suppose. Im just way too sensitive to heat. I consider 30+ degrees to be far too hot. Luckily it was just today. The rest of the week should be ok.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:40:55 »
In the high summer, I usually prefer to be up at night and sleep during the day.

Ottherwise when I have an office job and not working from home, I'd prefer to go to a cool air-conditioned office in the summer heat while most distractions are on vacation.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:42:14 »
In the high summer, I usually prefer to be up at night and sleep during the day.

Ottherwise when I have an office job and not working from home, I'd prefer to go to a cool air-conditioned office in the summer heat while most distractions are on vacation.

i too like to be high in the summer

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 16:08:06 »
Early Fall is great. You still get occasional 70f/20c days and the trees all look beautiful. I love a nice sunny Fall day where it rained lightly in the morning and the leaves on the ground are like a shiny carpet, you can smell the foliage, and the green grass is poking through contrasting with the reds and oranges.

Dead heat killer laser sun days like today where you can't even be comfortable in your own home make me hate Summers, but it has it's moments.

Winter can get ****ed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 June 2021, 16:09:54 by noisyturtle »

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 16:20:38 »
Mmmm, winter

271428-0
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Olumin

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 16:40:54 »
Early Fall is great. You still get occasional 70f/20c days and the trees all look beautiful. I love a nice sunny Fall day where it rained lightly in the morning and the leaves on the ground are like a shiny carpet, you can smell the foliage, and the green grass is poking through contrasting with the reds and oranges.

Dead heat killer laser sun days like today where you can't even be comfortable in your own home make me hate Summers, but it has it's moments.

Winter can get ****ed.

I love the look of autumn like everyone else, but I don’t like the rainy weather that creates perpetually muddy soil and puddles on every walkway, because that’s a great way to ruin my shoes and pants. That problem is less prevalent in winter and I don’t mind the cold + hardly any arthropods.