Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4184055 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #28600 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 18:05:27 »
It's crazy amount of sweat, but you can bring a towel and give yourself a wipe down when you get to work.
[/size][/color]

It's not the sweat, it's the rain that gets you. Have you ever spent a full day at work soaked to the bone? Also a 40 minute ride along the highway would ruin a day before it began, regardless of rain.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28601 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 18:26:14 »
It's crazy amount of sweat, but you can bring a towel and give yourself a wipe down when you get to work.
[/size][/color]

It's not the sweat, it's the rain that gets you. Have you ever spent a full day at work soaked to the bone? Also a 40 minute ride along the highway would ruin a day before it began, regardless of rain.

there's no local route ? even with rain, you can bring a set of cloths and towel in a ziplock / waterproof gym bag.

On those days you can take the bus. but the bike could work for all other days NOT raining ?

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #28602 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 03:24:27 »
The rain thing is not as big an issue as you think.  It is all in the mind. If you have a basic water proof layer you will be ok other than maybe heavy persistent rain.  Using the highway to cycle on is not fun but is there no more local/cross country route?  Even if it is a little longer, it will still be more enjoyable.  I am serious when I tell you that you will start to enjoy it, time to think, no phone or any other distraction.  Just you, tghe bike and the sounds and smells of the world around you as you travel through it.  All of this is lost in a car or a bus.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28603 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 02:52:38 »
All my Youtube comments on videos seem to have got censored lately. I can post them and I see the post count inflate, but they don't become readable.

At first I thought it was specific channels' moderators removing my comments because they wanted only lovey-dovey super-positive praise, but now after I've visited more channels it does not seem to matter which channel's videos I'm commenting to or what I write.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 June 2021, 02:55:38 by Findecanor »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28604 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 23:08:27 »
All my Youtube comments on videos seem to have got censored lately. I can post them and I see the post count inflate, but they don't become readable.

At first I thought it was specific channels' moderators removing my comments because they wanted only lovey-dovey super-positive praise, but now after I've visited more channels it does not seem to matter which channel's videos I'm commenting to or what I write.

I think Youtube has some AI-based comment censoring. I very frequently click on comment threads and see several people replying to a person who isn't there (anymore), and I've read others' comments which state they've had to post a few times for the comment to stick, presumably because some key word auto-censored the entire comment. I'm not sure of the veracity of those statements since I've not seen it happen to myself.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28605 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 12:57:10 »
Work rant redacted.

Now more bothered by my shoulder, somehow injured while boring myself nearly to sleep watching football (soccer)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2021, 16:05:09 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28606 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 17:33:54 »
Work rant redacted.

Now more bothered by my shoulder, somehow injured while boring myself nearly to sleep watching football (soccer)

At least you have access to healthcare.

Tp4 has to resort to a salve made of green tea and oreos. 

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #28607 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 02:50:21 »
I am still every bit as pissed at GMK for their trash packaging as I was a month ago, if not worse.  I received two sets of caps from Infinikey this week and they were in great boxes with the set colours and theme on the boxes, strong plastic trays on the inside separated with foam, just like they should be.  There is no excuse for the rubbish that GMK provide considering the price of cap sets.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28608 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 17:28:50 »
It's actually too hot to eat oreos.

As you know Tp4 doesn't use AC, earth-conscious. 

Eating Oreos makes you hot. 

Also, chocolate and slave labor, probably should stop eating oreos all together.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28609 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 17:43:40 »
It's actually too hot to eat oreos.

As you know Tp4 doesn't use AC, earth-conscious. 

Eating Oreos makes you hot. 

Also, chocolate and slave labor, probably should stop eating oreos all together.

you'll eat Oreos that are basically poison filled, but not delicious natural ramen or chicken lol

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #28610 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 03:50:01 »
The apartment my girlfriend and I moved into doesn't have any ceiling lights in the living room or bedrooms (kitchen and bathrooms all do, thank god). It's not a trashy place, just strangely designed that way. Trying to light it well as been a royal pain in the ass.

Also, the guy who lived here before us was a slob, so I've had to scrub/sweep at anything the cleaners missed.

Angrily waving my broom at him, wherever the hell he is now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28611 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 06:46:37 »
All my Youtube comments on videos seem to have got censored lately.
An update: Starting from today, Youtube logs me out automatically after the first page. However, Youtube works perfectly fine if I'm browsing in Incognito Mode: new posts also show up.
I have cleared cookies and cache and disabled extensions, and it still logs me out in normal mode.

So... it is only an issue with Youtube and the version of Chromium I'm using, apparently. But there shouldn't be any difference between normal and Incognito mode...

Many people have recently had issues with Youtube taking a long time to start a video, or stopping a video because it hasn't cached enough.
Apparently they are changing things over there without proper testing first.

Offline yui

« Reply #28612 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 07:55:22 »
i had random google account connection related problems with firefox and chrome in the past, same working in incognito but not in normal mode, sometimes rebooting fixes the issue, sometimes a reinstall does, sometimes just trying 20 minutes later did the trick, seems a bit random, although seems to happen a lot more on my pc with low disk space (less than 400MB).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28613 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:42:24 »
"do 12 hour rolling shifts 4 days on 4 off supervising newbies or leave"

I hate job hunting.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28614 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:53:44 »
Just when I thought I was getting this whole chronic neck and facial pain thing under control, it starts hurting again, going on four or five days now. I thought life was slowly returning to normal, but nope. I just need to get botox injected into my neck and jaw and be done with it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28615 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 12:25:25 »
Just when I thought I was getting this whole chronic neck and facial pain thing under control, it starts hurting again, going on four or five days now. I thought life was slowly returning to normal, but nope. I just need to get botox injected into my neck and jaw and be done with it.

Have you tried inversion table or space boots.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28616 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 14:38:54 »

Have you tried inversion table or space boots.

No, but it's not a compression issue. I think it's a muscular issue, probably caused by the bad habit of biting my lips and cheeks. Stopping those habits has relieved it a couple times now, but eventually it gets worse again regardless. I tried an inversion table once when I had back pain, but I just got a bunch of blood rushing to my head, i.e. huge blood pressure spike, which was unpleasant.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28617 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 16:01:03 »
Going to work on a bus with no AC in 38°c weather. Every day feels like a train ride to Auschwitz.
man this life sucks, I wanna die so bad

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28618 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 23:25:33 »
Ugh. I loath sweating. Just the concept of fluids secreting from my body without permission sets me on edge. If I had my way I'd surgically get my pores filled shut and hire a group of large lunged opera singers to follow me around and continuously blow upon my naked body at all times as I go about my business.

It's supposed to top out around 115° tomorrow. I'll see you all in Hell.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #28619 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 23:42:36 »
Ugh. I loath sweating. Just the concept of fluids secreting from my body without permission sets me on edge. If I had my way I'd surgically get my pores filled shut and hire a group of large lunged opera singers to follow me around and continuously blow upon my naked body at all times as I go about my business.

It's supposed to top out around 115° tomorrow. I'll see you all in Hell.
Sexy

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28620 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 04:35:59 »

I hate job hunting.

How did I manage to find a place that would take someone with no experience that also pays well when last I was looking for a job?  I'm looking at a 33% pay cut unless I accept half my life is completely ruined and the half that isn't is worse than it was (I hate long weekends, effectively having one in every 8 day period sounds like hell, even if I have got 4 days 'fun' to catch up on)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28621 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 07:23:26 »

I hate job hunting.

How did I manage to find a place that would take someone with no experience that also pays well when last I was looking for a job?  I'm looking at a 33% pay cut unless I accept half my life is completely ruined and the half that isn't is worse than it was (I hate long weekends, effectively having one in every 8 day period sounds like hell, even if I have got 4 days 'fun' to catch up on)
when you describe your jobs it sounds like they had no choices, take whoever accept and pay them well so they hesitate before leaving kinda deal.
some may find that lucky, i am not sure, kinda in a similar position, although the job ain't bad in itself for me, it is the leaders that are lying dip****s (1st lie then if it does not work lie some more mentality), but also relatively well paying. what do we value more health or money?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28622 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 11:20:35 »
When I started I 'applied' for a job that wasn't even advertised (asked about an apprenticeship which was gone, would I like an entry level job instead) and I've progressed well since then.  If not for the crazy hours change and the way it's been handled I'd have been happy here but the change (which is more money, the 33% drop is from current) has ruined it.  My mental health is consistently bad annyway, adding constant tiredness and removing my social life is not an option.  Though with the pay drop will I have a social life anyway?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28623 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 02:21:38 »
depend on what an appropriate level of social you need :) if you need to go out in night clubs everyday, maybe less money wont do, but having friends over playing a random game is much cheaper :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28624 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 14:15:53 »
Wednesday should be spelled Wendesday, and no one can convince me otherwise!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28625 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 15:50:20 »
Wednesday should be spelled Wendesday, and no one can convince me otherwise!

Wrong, it should be Wendsday.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28626 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 20:36:19 »
Bought these magnetic strips,  supposed to be 2mm thic,  measures 1.96   it's pretttty close. buhhhhhh hrrmmm...

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #28627 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 23:38:38 »
I am still every bit as pissed at GMK for their trash packaging as I was a month ago, if not worse.  I received two sets of caps from Infinikey this week and they were in great boxes with the set colours and theme on the boxes, strong plastic trays on the inside separated with foam, just like they should be.  There is no excuse for the rubbish that GMK provide considering the price of cap sets.

I have stopped ordering GMK sets, knowing that they will come in this inferior packaging. Sure, I can buy something at GB prices and have it sent in a small box, but the packaging isn't transparent, and likes to throw keycaps around as you say.

I have some GMK in the old trays, and they are great. Knowing that they won't be surpassed, I'd rather use the sets from that period.

Offline yui

« Reply #28628 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 01:23:12 »
i had (unknowingly) hurt a coworker months ago, and now she is back and i fear her (well doing it again, given i still do not know what i did) to the point where i get in panic mode whenever there is a chance she sees me. and i have no clues on what to do, other than cowering as far as i can be.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28629 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 01:43:57 »
i had (unknowingly) hurt a coworker months ago, and now she is back and i fear her (well doing it again, given i still do not know what i did) to the point where i get in panic mode whenever there is a chance she sees me. and i have no clues on what to do, other than cowering as far as i can be.

corner her in the break room and t-pose aggressively to assert your dominance

Offline yui

« Reply #28630 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 03:04:51 »
corner her in the break room and t-pose aggressively to assert your dominance
well asserting dominance and cowering in fear is not really that compatible :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28631 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 05:06:06 »
given i still do not know what i did
Being totally overkill as I recall you nearly got sacked over this perhaps you could ask HR to set up a meeting so you can discuss what you supposedly did wrong in front of an impartial witness?  It's that or treat her as a stranger so at most smile to acknowledge her existence but no further interaction.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28632 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 05:59:05 »
Being totally overkill as I recall you nearly got sacked over this perhaps you could ask HR to set up a meeting so you can discuss what you supposedly did wrong in front of an impartial witness?  It's that or treat her as a stranger so at most smile to acknowledge her existence but no further interaction.
HR does not want to hear anything about it, as a sanction they decided to give me a completely unrelated slap on the wrist (warning about personal use of company resources) and call it done, she is the victim so i should not have any problems as far as they are concerned. and to be honest i would not be capable to go to a meeting with her present i think. i also do not think HR has any idea of what mental health is, just told me to "go see a therapist it is cheap" like if it was going to resolve everything in one go instantly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28633 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:20:23 »
If I'd been wrongly accused I'd be angry not anxious and there's no way I'd have left the disciplinary meeting without knowing what I had done to find myself there.  I think there is more to this than you've shared publicly (and that's probably a good thing) but not having the details sure does make it hard to understand let alone help.

HR aren't wrong though - sounds like a therapist is a good idea, though obviously not an instant fix.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28634 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:50:18 »
HR does not want to hear anything about it, as a sanction they decided to give me a completely unrelated slap on the wrist (warning about personal use of company resources) and call it done, she is the victim so i should not have any problems as far as they are concerned. and to be honest i would not be capable to go to a meeting with her present i think. i also do not think HR has any idea of what mental health is, just told me to "go see a therapist it is cheap" like if it was going to resolve everything in one go instantly.

That HR guy was thinking of brothels not psycho-therapy,  it does solve all your problems, but according to the available information on the web, the solution is temporarily.

/Eat m0ar veggies bro...

Offline yui

« Reply #28635 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 08:23:14 »
If I'd been wrongly accused I'd be angry not anxious and there's no way I'd have left the disciplinary meeting without knowing what I had done to find myself there.  I think there is more to this than you've shared publicly (and that's probably a good thing) but not having the details sure does make it hard to understand let alone help.

HR aren't wrong though - sounds like a therapist is a good idea, though obviously not an instant fix.
i do not think i was wrongly accused, given her change of behavior i really did hurt her, just i do not know what did it... i just know i broke something and seeing her knowing that hurts, and when pain arise fear follows, and we just had a fire escape exercise and of course i am in the same group as her...
(and i do see a therapist, well 2nd session in 2 weeks)
(and TP i eat a lot of vegetable, and fruits kinda is pretty much all i eat)
ps: thx all for trying to help, it actually does knowing that peoples do somewhat care enough to try :)
ps2: kinda a panicky mess right now so if i make little sense, it may be why, sorry.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28636 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 08:30:53 »
Without reasonably full understanding of a problem, no resolution is possible. You shouldn't condemn yourself to living in limbo.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28637 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 23:22:28 »
Changing the name of Boba Fett's iconiclly named Slave 1 because woke morons think the word slave is inherintly racist. I don't mind the woke morons, it's the fact that Disney bent to their will. I hate this current sociopolitical climate so ****ing much.

This is taken directly from a computer terminology site:
A slave setting found on a hard drive or CD drive, and adjusted using jumpers, as shown below. The slave setting sets a drive as secondary and allows for two devices to be attached to a single IDE/ATAPI connection. Because "slave" is offensive, it's better to refer to this drive as "secondary" or "device1

Really?!? Computer definitions too? What is wrong with people?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28638 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 00:01:13 »
A slave setting found on a hard drive or CD drive, and adjusted using jumpers, as shown below. The slave setting sets a drive as secondary and allows for two devices to be attached to a single IDE/ATAPI connection. Because "slave" is offensive, it's better to refer to this drive as "secondary" or "device1

People change, our ideologies evolve, so follows our language.

You have a right to disagree, but there is no denying the evil that slavery is, the damage it has done, and the pain it has caused.

There exists neither logical nor philosophical conflict within the term's elevation in abhorrence.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28639 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 00:29:52 »

People change, our ideologies evolve, so follows our language.

You have a right to disagree, but there is no denying the evil that slavery is, the damage it has done, and the pain it has caused.

There exists neither logical nor philosophical conflict within the term's elevation in abhorrence.

why should an entire word be completely discarded just because of a hateful and embarrassing moment in history? why not ban the term 'atomic' or 'holocaust' while we are at it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28640 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 00:31:55 »
why should an entire word be completely discarded just because of a hateful and embarrassing moment in history? why not ban the term 'atomic' or 'holocaust' while we are at it.

People, alleged Americans, sell swastika t-shirts, buttons, openly.

Why shouldn't we ban/ be cautious using the terms atomic/ holocaust ? 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28641 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 01:02:41 »

Because it sets a terrible precedent for the future. A future where freedom is squashed not under the authoritarian thumb of unjust politics (but that too,) but by self-inflicted restrictions from the people themselves. We as a society are quickly becoming the exact forces of oppression we claim to be fighting against, and I for one do not like the direction things are headed. Better in many ways than in the past, true, but we are starting to go past that line and are now treading backwards by pushing forwards with too much force. And the truth is it's impossible to make every group and viewpoint happy without some contention. The straw will never be cut even, and the more we cut the less straw we have left.

Offline yui

« Reply #28642 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 01:04:53 »

because forgetting history is condemning yourself to repeat it, mandated forgetting of dark part of history is just the stupidest thing ever. and that words can have multiple uses, atomic means coming from the atom, can be power, science, or bombs. holocaust in an other hand only have one meaning but that we ought not to push under the rug. but yeah neo-nazism is kind of a big problem in some part of the world, like the US and France, i think Germany is still recovering from the last one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28643 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 01:22:45 »

because forgetting history is condemning yourself to repeat it, mandated forgetting of dark part of history is just the stupidest thing ever. and that words can have multiple uses, atomic means coming from the atom, can be power, science, or bombs. holocaust in an other hand only have one meaning but that we ought not to push under the rug. but yeah neo-nazism is kind of a big problem in some part of the world, like the US and France, i think Germany is still recovering from the last one.

No one is talking about forgetting the word,  we're moving it to be more accurate and ideologically sensitive.

Offline yui

« Reply #28644 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 01:35:04 »

No one is talking about forgetting the word,  we're moving it to be more accurate and ideologically sensitive.

we 100% are, we are talking about banning words that have a negative connotation, and guess what, if you can't use a word you forget it, and if you do not have a word to describe an event it loses weight until it is forgotten. sensitivity has a place but not that big of a place, and i feel peoples pushing the hardest are "woke" only for the sake to having power, and as soon as they get proper power they will forget all about the sensitivities, or use them to gain dictator-like status, depends on who, some are pretty much gurus.
basically, accepting this you accept to censor history and open your arm wide to dictatorships and nazism soon down the road, i may be a bit pessimistic (maybe now more than ever) but i found that often in politics the most pessimistic yields the most accurate predictions.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28645 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 03:54:31 »
As usual I'm with noisy - if you can't tell someone talking about a robot, computer part or questionable bedroom activity isn't talking about historical racism you should be shot, for being stupid.

Slavery and people trafficking is no less a problem today than it was back then just different people for different reasons, you can't censor the word.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28646 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 05:11:20 »
As usual I'm with noisy - if you can't tell someone talking about a robot, computer part or questionable bedroom activity isn't talking about historical racism you should be shot, for being stupid.

Slavery and people trafficking is no less a problem today than it was back then just different people for different reasons, you can't censor the word.

The word is not being censored, it's being reallocated.

You wouldn't put the N-word on candy bars,  the N- word still exists, it has history and it has meaning, in general the word is used with caution except in the case of the victim's own attempts at appropriating its meaning, that's their business.

Offline iri

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28648 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 08:35:05 »

there is no denying the evil that slavery is, the damage it has done, and the pain it has caused.

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

Denying history has the same effect as denying science - falsehood will rush in to fill the vacuum.

I believe that the reason that ridiculous "conspiracy theories" proliferate so freely in America today is that our educational system has been methodically dismantled over the past 4 decades (a core component of the program championed by advocates of "public choice theory" to re-imagine our society).

Truth and reality are not enough any more. There has to be a public will to sincerely seek and respect truth and reality.

It has become excruciatingly obvious that the creators of the interwebs were absolutely, utterly, dead wrong with their initial assumption that truth and reality would consistently win out in the war of ideas if it was played out openly across the world stage.

Putin appointed Vladislov Surkov as a "political technologist" very early in his regime (and he eventually rose to deputy prime minister).
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 July 2021, 08:39:26 by fohat.digs »

Offline iri

« Reply #28649 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 09:14:05 »
At the same time, you shouldn't worry about Russia, because it has the economy the size of Texas or something.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury