Author Topic: IBM 1391401 $40 free shipping  (Read 2623 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: IBM 1391401 $40 free shipping
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 10:49:49 »
Was just about to post this.

It looks to be in good shape and is from 1988.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 12:54:58 »
If somebody doesn't buy this in the next couple of hours, I probably will.

But please, I am not asking you to back off - I just don't want a deal like this to slip away.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2013, 12:59:05 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 13:28:17 »
If somebody doesn't buy this in the next couple of hours, I probably will.

But please, I am not asking you to back off - I just don't want a deal like this to slip away.

There are better deals out there, this is a '92, ends in 90 minutes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251381547796

Don't know that the backplate on the 88 would be any different.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 14:34:01 »
I like the heavy plates and consider a 1988 black label much preferable to a 1992 blue label. The missing control cap is minor.

The purpose of this would be to chop into a ghetto SSK, so if I am going to that kind of effort, I want the heavy plate.

Somebody buy the thing! I don't need yet another project!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:29:01 »
I like the heavy plates and consider a 1988 black label much preferable to a 1992 blue label. The missing control cap is minor.

The purpose of this would be to chop into a ghetto SSK, so if I am going to that kind of effort, I want the heavy plate.

Somebody buy the thing! I don't need yet another project!

When you say "black label" I think industrial black labels. 

They're both dark gray IBM logos, both same label style on the back (ok, the font's different).   And you're not guaranteed the thicker plate on an 88.

Other one is gone now, $25 shipped.   Not a bad price for a keyboard getting hacked up anyway...
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:49:11 »

When you say "black label" I think industrial black labels. 

They're both dark gray IBM logos, both same label style on the back (ok, the font's different).   And you're not guaranteed the thicker plate on an 88.

There are different adjectives. The oldest plastic oval labels have been called "black" "white" and "gray" depending ....

The industrials got 3-dimensional badges, didn't they, even when they were plastic ovals on the left? I have never had one.

I had an early-1989 with a heavy plate, and all the ones I have had earlier were heavy. I know that different plants switched over at very different times. The oldest few (1986 +/-) had the shiny yellow-gold plates, but I don't think they lost any weight when they switched to dull gray.

The plate might have gotten a little lighter at the end of the 1980s, but even the 1991s I had were pretty substantial. I would suspect that a 1992 would be lighter, that was well into the Lexmark era.

Looking back to an earlier discussion, I would want the best raw materials for a project that I invest hours of my time into. To me, that is an upgrade and I want to max it out.

When someone uses the words "hack" and "anyway" it is as if they are considering the project to be a downgrade or a cheapening of the original item, rather than an improvement of it. Fine, they are entitled to their opinion.

So, if the modifier goes to sell the item, he looks at it as having been upgraded and deserving of a premium price, while an uninterested  non-buyer might attempt to denigrate the work and consider the product to be "damaged goods" to be sold at a discount.

This is the reason that I get irritated at bystanders insulting work they see for sale, that they have no intention of bidding on, as if they want to punish the craftsman who has put considerable effort into his work.

I agree that if I decided to sell a "ghetto SSK" at some point in the future, it would be imperative that I identify it for exactly what it is, and I would assume that it would sell for considerably less than a "stock" specimen, but as long as there is transparency in the transaction, all is well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:02:21 by fohat.digs »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:58:38 »
To me, a black label is one of these:

I consider the early standard M oval labels to be grey.  But yes people vary in their terms.

From what I read the switch from heavy plate to lighter started around 1987 but some heavy plates extended to 1989 models.   I have no fullsize M's younger than 91 (not including M13's) and they do feel a little lighter than my oldest 'brass'-plate M.  But still that dull grey, not the shiny backplate.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:04:58 »

Clicky Keyboards calls the old ones "white labels" and maybe that is the best to avoid confusion.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:08:25 »

Clicky Keyboards calls the old ones "white labels" and maybe that is the best to avoid confusion.

Yeah maybe I'll start using that to avoid any confusion with the old silver square labels...

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:15:52 »

Looking back to an earlier discussion, I would want the best raw materials for a project that I invest hours of my time into. To me, that is an upgrade and I want to max it out.

When someone uses the words "hack" and "anyway" it is as if they are considering the project to be a downgrade or a cheapening of the original item, rather than an improvement of it. Fine, they are entitled to their opinion.

You are reading way too much into that phrase.  I said "hacked up anyway" meaning the plate is going to be physically cut.  I don't consider it a downgrade, I've created two SSK mods myself (one with 89 keys), and I plan on doing more, maybe one without a case.

I consider the SSK the best IBM keyboard period.  Even better than any F. :P  And while I have my industrial SSK sitting on the shelf, my daily driver is that "Green Minilishi", a full modded to "SSK", that I've posted a few times.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:29:08 »
Yeah maybe I'll start using that to avoid any confusion with the old silver square labels...

That is easy. A plastic oval is a label.

An aluminum square is a badge.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:35:12 »

That is easy. A plastic oval is a label.

An aluminum square is a badge.

Maybe I'll just call them all "logos" and only call the sticker on the back a label...