Author Topic: Unicomp has R / G / B legends now (aka Red Alert, etc)  (Read 4095 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Unicomp has R / G / B legends now (aka Red Alert, etc)
« on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 21:30:35 »
Did a quick search, didn't see a thread; but if this is a dupe feel free to delete.

Was on Unicomps site ordering an 'Any' key, and I noticed they now have Red / Blue / Green Alert keycap sets.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/FullRGBKeys
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Unicomp has R / G / B legends now (aka Red Alert, etc)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 21:48:28 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58324.0

Still a great find for those that didn't know!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 21:52:02 »
I don't know why they have it hidden away on their website.  It should be on the front page.

It should *at least* be on the first page of the "buttons" section.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 21:52:54 »
Their website in general could use an overhaul.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 21:55:39 »
Yes. The website needs to be updated.

The layout doesn't make sense.

Offline JimByr

• ...old guy...
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:19:28 »
The keycaps are on the top level 'New Release' page where all of their new items show up.
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/NEW

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:42:53 »
And I still have a beautiful unused red set that I installed and photographed, but never typed on, for $36 shipped domestic (save yourself a few bucks).

edit - increased price if pending sale does not go through
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:03:21 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:45:15 »
Those blue legends are pretttyyyy.

Offline daetsid

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:31:58 »
And I still have a beautiful unused red set that I installed and photographed, but never typed on, for $30 shipped domestic (save yourself a few bucks).

PM'ed ! ME WANT!!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:35:06 »
Did a quick search, didn't see a thread; but if this is a dupe feel free to delete.

Was on Unicomps site ordering an 'Any' key, and I noticed they now have Red / Blue / Green Alert keycap sets.

Its a good dupe though.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 20:58:22 »

Thank you for that link, YES Unicomp has the world's worst retail site for dispensing their own product.  Very difficult to find their latest releases, don't know why they think it's worth hiding?

Have to trawl through some boxes to find a couple of old M's (when I get back in town) that would benefit from these new colours  :thumb: .

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 10:14:18 »
And I still have a beautiful unused red set that I installed and photographed, but never typed on, for $30 shipped domestic (save yourself a few bucks).

how exactly can we save ourself a few bucks?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 10:26:05 »

how exactly can we save ourself a few bucks?

Their price does not include shipping.

I have a sale pending to the Netherlands, but no response yet.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:53:56 »
Cool.  Nice product.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:54:48 »
Ugh now I'm not sure if I should continue hunting for a printed Wildcats set or to get one of the Blue Legend sets. Unicomp has *non-printed blank* Wildcat sets but I don't like blank keycaps.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 12:06:50 »
Unicomp has *non-printed blank* Wildcat sets but I don't like blank keycaps.

Link?
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 13:12:04 »
Ugh now I'm not sure if I should continue hunting for a printed Wildcats set or to get one of the Blue Legend sets. Unicomp has *non-printed blank* Wildcat sets but I don't like blank keycaps.

What specifically were you looking for from the Wildcats set?  I have "most" of one of those sets still left.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 13:14:02 »
What specifically were you looking for from the Wildcats set?  I have "most" of one of those sets still left.

Modifiers and Alphas are essential (aka 60%). Function rows, navpad, and arrows would be nice (aka TKL). A full set would also be accepted :D. Perhaps we should take this to PMs?

Unicomp has *non-printed blank* Wildcat sets but I don't like blank keycaps.

Link?

You can just email them for it. That's how I found out about it. I emailed them looking for a Wildcats set and they said they only had unprinted sets left.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 13:20:17 »

Come on, you know how to solve that problem.  Get both.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 13:21:32 »
But...the wallet says I shouldn't even though the heart agrees with you prdlm2009.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:05:48 »
You can just email them for it. That's how I found out about it. I emailed them looking for a Wildcats set and they said they only had unprinted sets left.

You'd think they'd toss that up on their limited editions page, but noooooo.

Then again, it is consistent with Unicomp's retail sales methodology...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:12:08 »
Yeah I was similarly baffled by that. Doesn't make any sense to have it through email only.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:26:20 »
But...the wallet says I shouldn't even though the heart agrees with you prdlm2009.

Don't worry, you have the rest of your life to pay off credit card debt.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:04:01 »

So the spacebar is not included in the set?   I see they don't sell a brilliant white spacebar for 101's separately.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 17:17:13 »

So the spacebar is not included in the set?   I see they don't sell a brilliant white spacebar for 101's separately.

The spacebar is never included for any set. That's why the one fohat has is pearl instead of brilliant white, and why he said he wanted them to at least offer a pebble spacebar for 101 in the other thread. You can only have a complete brilliant white set for 104. I imagine even the rest of the bottom row of a 101 doesn't come in brilliant white.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 17:57:37 »
For some reason spacebars are problematic.

Even Greenock went to ABS spacebars for the later years of production.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:34:13 »
The spacebar is never included for any set. That's why the one fohat has is pearl instead of brilliant white, and why he said he wanted them to at least offer a pebble spacebar for 101 in the other thread. You can only have a complete brilliant white set for 104.

Well their PSET explicity states "spacebar not included" and the page for this set does not.  Although it does say "replace your legends" and the spacebar is certainly absent a legend...

I imagine even the rest of the bottom row of a 101 doesn't come in brilliant white.

The bottom row mod key sizes on the 104 are the same as the 101 (the ones that exist on the 101 that is).

Here's a partial pic of brilliant white with green legends:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58324.msg1337411#msg1337411

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:06:02 »
Their website in general could use an overhaul.

Their entire business model could use an overhaul.

And I'm saying this in a friendly tone. If Unicomp changed its entire attitude to business and drastically overhauled their way of operation, I suspect everyone, buyer and seller, would be far better off.

At the very least, if they floss modded their entire product line and started using social media aggressively and made some serious effort to market their keyboards starting with spending a few hundred bucks on pizza and beer to engage some local teenagers to revamp their website over just one summer weekend, they could increase sales 5 or 10x, since they are now starting from a very low base.

Having blown way too much cash on this hobby I can't spend any more on keycaps I am unlikely to use, but really, they look gorgeous, thanks OP for the info!!

btw although I am not a tech guy, I've tried my hand at building websites in the past, and I'm fairly sure that even I, yes, Gutz the tech moron, could build a more effective and attractive site than the Unicomp folks. I'm convinced that the people who built that Unicomp site are now in their fifties because that website looks as though it was built in the early 1990s by staid old programmers and never improved.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:00:57 »
What's funny is the site actually looks totally different now than it did 2-3 years ago. It just isn't actually much better.

Someone said that their main channel of income was as an official vendor of keyboards for offices and such. If that's true they may just not care alot because the majority of the stuff they sell has nothing to do with their site.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)