Author Topic: Massdrop - HHKB Metal Case  (Read 41195 times)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Massdrop - HHKB Metal Case
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 05:12:44 »
This case is just plain **** , I don't think there is anything to be said about it. I like the HHKB just the way it is, if it were for an alu case, and it's something I really don't feel HHKB needs, it should be something slender with curves and not a **** brick. 
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 06:47:09 »
some dirty convicts just can't appreciate the finer things in life  :))

All you really need is some fine ass and loads of 10th Anniversaries, everything else is just plain, poorly made garbage masquerading as something 'special'  ;) .

HHKB is a joke everyone has heard already except for the suckers who bought into it........

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 09:12:46 »
All you really need is some fine ass and loads of 10th Anniversaries

With or without a warped case?

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 09:47:33 »
some dirty convicts just can't appreciate the finer things in life  :))

All you really need is some fine ass and loads of 10th Anniversaries, everything else is just plain, poorly made garbage masquerading as something 'special'  ;) .

HHKB is a joke everyone has heard already except for the suckers who bought into it........
The 10th Anniversaries are the joke that costs $200 more than a current RF 87, for a long past Topre anniversary.

Offline kturnbull

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:40:35 »
Buying one. Cause if anything... if the MD fails... we might never see a revised. I'll eat the cash for prototyping fees.

Been waiting on an alu hhkb case for too many years to wuss out now. I have to at least *try* it. Might be a waste of 200$... but I can live with that.

EDIT: Not to mention.... I *have* a buddy with a 6 axis... willing to make me one... but the machine time is AMAZING... Alu would be like 900$ for the original case style. BUT!!! Redesigning the bottom half of THIS case... would be incredibly cheap (compared). The top portion is really what I want/need. I can redo the bottom to slanted if need be.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:45:53 by kturnbull »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:43:12 »
FWIW, I'm getting my hands on the case for a review.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:55:12 »
Review from objective, competent person ✓

The fate of this drop rests in your hands~

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:56:42 »

Are you getting it before the drop ends? or do you mean you're buying one from this drop to review?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:57:45 »
I'm getting the one in the picture on Massdrop. I think that's the prototype. I'm not sure of the date I'll have it in hand yet.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:15:35 »
I'm getting the one in the picture on Massdrop. I think that's the prototype. I'm not sure of the date I'll have it in hand yet.

Although i don't have an HHKB i still look forward to seeing your review.
I know many people here have been waiting for a metal case so it's disappointing to see how this one turned out.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:18:25 »

But he doesn't even like Topre :P :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:26:38 »

But he doesn't even like Topre :P :D

Yeah, exactly.  Or maybe we just have to interpret the review exactly opposite of what CPT says?  :))

"Topre still sucks" = "This case preserves the heavenly thock of Topre"
"Wow, this thing actually makes Topre feel nice!" = "Don't buy this, it will ruin Topre for you"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:29:05 »
This case didn't let me shove Alps into it

-12/10

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:44:44 »

-12/10
I lol'ed of course that's what you would find went wrong with it <3
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:51:32 »
Even though that CPTALPSFANBOI is reviewing it, I still trust him.

Then $20 says he ends up using it as a penholder. It is gonna be holding lots of pens soon.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:53:05 »

-12/10

Lol :))

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:56:15 »
Thought I'd mention it in this thread as well. We've talked about it a bit in mistake's thread, but if someone can send my a CAD file for a minimalist HHKB case, I might be able to get a couple milled at my local shop for not ridiculously expensive.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:33:55 »
Thought I'd mention it in this thread as well. We've talked about it a bit in mistake's thread, but if someone can send my a CAD file for a minimalist HHKB case, I might be able to get a couple milled at my local shop for not ridiculously expensive.

Somebody get this guy a nice CAD file! Problem with the MD case is its not very nice looking, don't need CpT to tell me that...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:55:29 »

Somebody get this guy a nice CAD file! Problem with the MD case is its not very nice looking, don't need CpT to tell me that...

People in the other thread were saying just a scan of the current case would be fine. Doesn't need to be fancy, just a metal version of what we have now.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:56:15 »
Then $20 says he ends up using it as a penholder. It is gonna be holding lots of pens soon.

This is actually a fabulous idea!

This I can tell you, I got a sample of one of the wood cases that MD has been selling by Royal Glam (this is just speculation, but a I think all these recent CNC'd case offerings are from the same company), and the manufacturer certainly cut corners with the wood cases. I assume, as others have pointed out, that the reason this is a block instead of keeping true to the HHKB form factor is to save on CNCing time and costs.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:00:37 »
We don't need an aluminium HHKB case, we need a wood one.

a wooden HHKB would be amazing.  :eek:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:02:48 »

I fully support this, but you should really make a separate thread, both to keep the info organized and to avoid heading off topic in these threads. :thumb:

This I can tell you, I got a sample of one of the wood cases that MD has been selling by Royal Glam (this is just speculation, but a I think all these recent CNC'd case offerings are from the same company), and the manufacturer certainly cut corners with the wood cases. I assume, as others have pointed out, that the reason this is a block instead of keeping true to the HHKB form factor is to save on CNCing time and costs.

I just don't get it.  If you want to save cost, give us an aluminum cast case.  We need dat curve + slope.  ^-^

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:09:59 »

I fully support this, but you should really make a separate thread, both to keep the info organized and to avoid heading off topic in these threads. :thumb:

Done. This is an IC for people who want a more traditional alu case.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76196.0
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:13:02 »

Them barrels make it hard out of wood. :( I'd love to try it though!

I just don't get it.  If you want to save cost, give us an aluminum cast case.  We need dat curve + slope.  ^-^

I suspect it is so they can sell something at a premium price and hope people won't notice the flaws. I don't mean MD either, or just MD I guess. I think MD takes a lot of the manufactures word on what is good, because they may not have the most in depth knowledge on the subject. They see people want an aluminum HHKB case and work with someone overseas to make that happen. They rely a lot on that vendor to get it right. It would be better if they could get more feedback on what people really want in a case like this. There is so much love for the styling of the HHKB, it didn't have to be changed to this blocky form.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:27:19 »

I suspect it is so they can sell something at a premium price and hope people won't notice the flaws. I don't mean MD either, or just MD I guess. I think MD takes a lot of the manufactures word on what is good, because they may not have the most in depth knowledge on the subject. They see people want an aluminum HHKB case and work with someone overseas to make that happen. They rely a lot on that vendor to get it right. It would be better if they could get more feedback on what people really want in a case like this. There is so much love for the styling of the HHKB, it didn't have to be changed to this blocky form.

This is another thing I don't understand, then.  They could easily get a Vendor account here on geekhack and solicit advice from users to make their products better, just like every other Vendor registered here.  Or I guess they can just keep making stuff and hoping we like it...?

(I know you don't know the answer to this, I'm just venting in response)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:30:14 »
This is another thing I don't understand, then.  They could easily get a Vendor account here on geekhack and solicit advice from users to make their products better, just like every other Vendor registered here.  Or I guess they can just keep making stuff and hoping we like it...?

While it may not be the case (no pun) for the HHKB, in most other cases regular users of GH are a minority when compared to the legions of people who spam-**** the MD forums with "will this fit my pok3r?". I would guess we're just not that much of a priority.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:34:30 »

While it may not be the case (no pun) for the HHKB, in most other cases regular users of GH are a minority when compared to the legions of people who spam-**** the MD forums with "will this fit my pok3r?". I would guess we're just not that much of a priority.

Yeah, they're able to sell their stuff without our input, but what if our input would make it better?  Why throw away that potential input?  Just seems silly to me.  The only thing you really have to do to be a Vendor is not **** people over and have a legitimate business.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:35:01 »

It is interesting isn't it? I know that there is no love loss between a majority of GH and MD, but instead of partaking the community and working with us (and I don't just mean GH, but Reddit, DT or whomever else) to make something cool they often take the ideas and go full speed ahead with their partners overseas. That isn't always the case of course, but anyone would be lying if they said that didn't happen.

I don't think their intentions are always bad, but sometimes they way they go about it is questionable. It would be great if that could change since likely everyone could benefit from it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:37:06 »

It is interesting isn't it? I know that there is no love loss between a majority of GH and MD, but instead of partaking the community and working with us (and I don't just mean GH, but Reddit, DT or whomever else) to make something cool they often take the ideas and go full speed ahead with their partners overseas. That isn't always the case of course, but anyone would be lying if they said that didn't happen.

I don't think their intentions are always bad, but sometimes they way they go about it is questionable. It would be great if that could change since likely everyone could benefit from it.

Exactly.  I'm itching to give them money for an HHKB case!  Sadly, this isn't the one for me.  It's a shame, but they would know that if they bothered to ask.  ;)

I'd gladly pay double the asking price for this case if the case were properly designed.  I hope you heard that, Massdrop.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 13:54:54 »
At this point I'm just hoping MD has actually been reading the comments for the drop (and here/elsewhere too) and are taking things to heart.  That way if they don't end up pushing a lot of units, they'll understand it's because there are a number of people unhappy with their approach rather than "oh guess people don't actually want an aluminum HHKB case" and maybe they'll try again some day with a design that doesn't suck.  And I would hope they'll learn a lesson not just for this but for niche projects in general:  reach out to the community first. 

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 14:22:43 »
I'd prefer one with a built in slope similar with the KMAC Happy and the KMAC2.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 14:52:27 »
I would like to see PFU reissue (remake) the HHKB HG and have it available in-the USA. I would buy one in a heartbeat (the non urushi golddust caps). I'm sure their are many others that would if PFU made them again.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 14:54:27 »
I would like to see PFU reissue (remake) the HHKB HG and have it available in-the USA. I would buy one in a heartbeat (the non urushi golddust caps). I'm sure their are many others that would if PFU made them again.

Start a snail-mail campaign!
http://www.pfusystems.com/embedded-keyboard/hhkb/contact.html
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:03:59 »
IIRC the vanilla HG was around $2,250, so... kind of a tough sell even as incredible as that case is.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:13:43 »

Don't spoil my surprise!

I mean uhhhh... yeah, somebody should totally try their hand at a wood HHKB case  :blank:

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:25:07 »
This is very similar to the digilog case, which I like!

I think I am going to buy one!

I do agree that I wish It looked like the stock HHKB case. Kinda like the Duck Viper. But I also know how hard it is to work with metal and I am willing to give it a try.

I think it will still look really good! Especially when people start throwing Bunny's Sliders in there and putting some awesome caps on.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:28:58 »
Since so many people are talking about throwing on sliders, let me just point out something:

The two holes needing drilled out for the Novatouch sliders are dual purpose: they also allow the keycap stems to drop below the mounting surface, so you can, you know, actually depress the keys.

So, even with the JTK sliders, the MX return and shift keys still won't work without modification to the keycaps themselves.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:44:20 »
Since so many people are talking about throwing on sliders, let me just point out something:

The two holes needing drilled out for the Novatouch sliders are dual purpose: they also allow the keycap stems to drop below the mounting surface, so you can, you know, actually depress the keys.

So, even with the JTK sliders, the MX return and shift keys still won't work without modification to the keycaps themselves.

I already mentioned that.  :D  Or are there people saying you can still use the sliders without the holes?  Not sure exactly who you're responding to here.  :)

Also, WTF why would you not mill out the Novatouch stabilizer holes??  Ugh

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:46:45 »

I already mentioned that.  :D  Or are there people saying you can still use the sliders without the holes?  Not sure exactly who you're responding to here.  :)

Also, WTF why would you not mill out the Novatouch stabilizer holes??  Ugh

Might have skimmed over it. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think the holes were just for the sliders.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:52:36 »
Random thought - if making the top half of the case is the difficult part, can you use the Massdrop case top, and have someone machine a case bottom with an incline?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:56:50 »
Random thought - if making the top half of the case is the difficult part, can you use the Massdrop case top, and have someone machine a case bottom with an incline?

Absolutely. Don't technically even need the bottom part for the case to function, but that has obvious drawbacks. I'd like to see dimensions of the top portion though, before committing to such a course.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:35:01 »
The 10th Anniversaries are the joke that costs $200 more than a current RF 87, for a long past Topre anniversary.

The Biggest joke are morons thinking a tiny all plastic HHKB calculator (with no lcd) is worth around $300, LOL  :)) .

You could still snap it in half due to it's flimsy construction which goes to show, make something sub-standard and market it as a "Hacker's Keyboard"  and watch all the ignorant dweebs flock to it.

Just like Gaming mice that Razer make, again morons thinking that owning them would make them superior gamers, unfortunately it doesn't  ::) .

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:44:57 »
Meh, I borrowed Type S expecting to hate it and fell in love with it.  Say what you will about the price, but it's, IMO, the best Topre board out there and one of my favorite feeling boards.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:34:13 »

hoffman, can you explain the curve a little bit? I understand the slope but cant really understand the curve.. :-\ (you know, i don't have any topre board yet)
Is the pcb also curve or just the case?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:08:55 »
Forget you guys....I'm buying one in silver. Will transfer my Type-S into it and review.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 23:48:31 »

hoffman, can you explain the curve a little bit? I understand the slope but cant really understand the curve.. :-\ (you know, i don't have any topre board yet)

The case has a very subtle curve to it.  I actually didn't realize there was a curve until I took a closer look a few days ago.  It's just the case; the PCB is flat.

There are really a lot more angles to this case than you'd expect.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:42:23 »

I'd recommend reviewing it before/after krytox application. I suspect the metal will wear the stems (like we see in heavily used hall effect KBs) but we won't know until long-term users weigh in.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 04:54:58 »

The case has a very subtle curve to it.  I actually didn't realize there was a curve until I took a closer look a few days ago.  It's just the case; the PCB is flat.

There are really a lot more angles to this case than you'd expect.

Show Image

#realkeyboardshavecurves

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:04:55 »
#realkeyboardshavecurves

LOL  :)) :)) :)) :))

Considering a HHKB isn't a real keyboard to begin with.....

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:44:06 »
#realkeyboardshavecurves

LOL  :)) :)) :)) :))

Considering a HHKB isn't a real keyboard to begin with.....

Can you just shut the **** up already? We get it. You don't like it.