Author Topic: Which layout is better for a 40% keyboard?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline MoMoMo

Which layout is better for a 40% keyboard?
« on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 11:09:47 »
Hello guys! I'm trying to make a 40% keyboard that looks new. However, I ran into a discussion with my friend about the odd layout I chose for this project. I'm used to the 60% Minila so I prefer a symmetrical R1 layout and I don't care a lot about the shifted "ZXCV" row. My friend's poinion is to at least keep the alphabet rows as usual so it fits well for normal 100% keyboard user like himself. So we made several plans, I don't think they are "better" than any of other 40% keyboard that have been made, I'm just trying to find something new without sacrificing the useability..... Could you guys help me define which one is in middle of my friend and I and which one is more like a "personal taste" which might be hard to use for most people, or will any of these layouts work? :))

238312-0

238314-1

238316-2

BTW, I'm new here and I don't know if it is correct to post my question in this section, hope I didn't violate the rule, sorry.

Offline Polymer

Re: Which layout is better for a 40% keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 19:49:34 »
Number 2...because it is the only standard alpha layout..

I'd then replace L-Win with FN2.

This allows you to do FN1/FN2 with your left hand and use your right for arrows/other.

Eg.

FN1 + IJKL could be arrows.
FN2 + UIOJKLM<> could be numbers. 

Offline envyy24

Re: Which layout is better for a 40% keyboard?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:58:36 »
Number 3 is almost the same as my 40%, ut47.2 . And i have a hard time adjust to it, more than i would think. The even stagged thing is hard for me to get used to.  I think if you devote your whole time using it then you would be fine but i keep going back and forth.
And for this last layout, please ask your friend where does he normally press the spacebar? The layout may not make it look like much but actually the spacebar is way over to the left so if he has the habit of pressing space on the edge by right thumb like I do, he would have a very very hard time typing on this since spacebar is way out of reach.