Author Topic: Actually good C64-MX adapters  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Ortho-leaning

Actually good C64-MX adapters
« on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 10:59:55 »
Hi y'all!

As you can see from the title, I've received a C64 for keycap for keycap harvesting and spent some time looking for adapters.
The ones I found were less than optimal, one being really binding and the other, well, didn't fit any of my switches.
Especially the 1.5u and 2u caps had no real adapters, only one that required dremeling and gluing something making the mod permanent *shudder*

So, I made these so I could finally have all the adapters I needed.

There's both .stl and STEP files on the Thingiverse link for modifications, as the MX cruciform is pretty loose in the file but prints quite tightly on a .4mm nozzle.

I hope someone finds these useful and can give some feedback!
Ortho life

Offline Findecanor

Re: Actually good C64-MX adapters
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 11:16:34 »
The previous 3D-printed adaptors I've heard about were intended for replacement keyboards to put into real C64s, and those keyboards did have the switches for 1.5u keys located off-centre anyway.

Offline Ortho-leaning

Re: Actually good C64-MX adapters
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 11:25:19 »
That is true. But still, there have been some people who've been wanting to use C64 caps on conventional keyboards or projects and I found the ones that were available on github, as someone else put it, ''ill-fitting'' or lacked the centered 1.5u adapter.

The caps are amazing and I wanted to provide a better fitting adapter overall as others wouldn't fit for one reason or another (most likely my printer settings, but it seems I'm not alone on this).

Ngl, the Mechboard 64 thing is pretty badass. If I ever get a full C64 I'll do the same mod.
Ortho life