Author Topic: acrylic alice stack height and other questions  (Read 2025 times)

Offline RockWood

acrylic alice stack height and other questions
« on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 14:44:47 »
So I just finished modifying the lubrigante files and want to put in my order into ponoko.  I managed to even keep it within the same footprint only adding around 4mm in length.  I do have some questions,

(1)first concerning stack height. I have a sneakbox usbc(mounted underneath)with kaihl hotswap pcb, and I'd like your thoughts.  Going with plate b.c of hotswap

(2)Again with the sneakbox pcb in my current lubrigante, I really feel like I need a traditional plate.  Has anyone ordered an aluminum plate from ponoko?  It looks pretty rough in the pictures, but I have something that looks as raw that came with a keyboard I purchased and it's not too bad.  I was thinking of doing a 1.5 derlin or pom plate plus a 1.5 mm derlin part c spacer, this would allow me to nix a 3mm one.  This did bring up the cost 10-15 dollars, and I'm trying to keep the case under 100, as its just a matter of time before I end up jumping on a traditional case.  However if you think pom will be better than aluminum let me know.  If it were no expense spared I'd go brass or copper plate and do something like a qlavir.

(3)Finally, I'd really like a frost translucent grey but thats not available so I was thinking of mixing and matching.  So I'm thinking of a clear matte on the outside part A and E and light transparent grey on inner A, C and D.  Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on mixing acrylic like this.  I have been looking around and cant seem to see any projects like this

so my projected build is:

3mm part A
3mm part A
3mm part A with led cut out
1mm part B aluminum plate
3mm part D enclosed spacer
3mm part C usb port spacer
3mm part C usb port spacer
3mm part C usb port space
3mm part E Base

My previous lubrigante build. Everything fits fine here with room, maybe 1mm i could subtract from a part C

3mm part A
4.5mm part A
3mm part B plate
3mm part D
3mm part C
3mm part C
3mm part E

For reference I included the link to the github lubrigante - https://github.com/Zambumon/Lubrigante
*the green in the picture is the original lubrigante foot print and will not be printed

Thanks for taking a look

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:35:33 by RockWood »

Offline RockWood

Re: acrylic alice stack height and other questions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 00:46:53 »
after looking at some mysterium and discpline65 builds I ended up going a white pom plate and grabbed a single dark gray sheet to work as an accent color.  So I can do white or black frost.  If anyones interested I'll post pics when it all comes in. 

Offline davido_labido

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 17:14:14 »
did you ever check your files worked for the Sneakbox PCB? I have a laser and cut the lubrigante files today but it seems that the switch plate doesn't quite match up with the PCB in 2 places at least, either that or I have managed to somehow move them when throwing the files at my laser :D.

the two main ones that don't fit are as below, but there is a third I can't remember of the top of my head. I think it may be the smaller right side key next to the space bar.

As you're the last one I saw posting about this figured I would ask :D

Offline RockWood

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:00:03 »
So I did not use the plate file that is currently posted on github.  There is a full plate version which he mentions.  From what I've learned the full plate version had problems with stabilizers esp as people used thicker plates.  However I was able to suorce it and I successfully built my lubrigante full plate in 3mm using durock v1 stabs no problems.  The full plate allows for some compatibility,  While the half plate forces you into a 1.5u mod 2u space and 1.25 mod, stepped caps, and split right shift.  The sneakbox pcb is the first hotswap I've seen that has some flexibility but it does use a 1.5u, 2.25u, and 1u around left space.  I learned someone on reddit make this mistake and used a dremel to fix it.  He reported while ugly it works. 

As far as the LED holes on bottom right and the tab key.  I included a picture of the full plate version overlayed on the half plate and you can see it lines up.  Was it an error by whomever cut it? or maybe you accidentally moved it.  did you mean to indicate caps lock.  If so the sneakbox pcb is actually very cool here.  If you reverse the switch from north to south you can get the stepped caps that both plate files indicate.  I just did a bit of measuring and you would have to increase the box of the modifier, space and caps lock to  approx 2.38mm over the 14mm(1u keys)  to allow for compatibility on the half plate file.

I hope this helps, and fwiw my upcoming build I'm doing a 1.5 mm pom plate b.c I think the hotswap really needs it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2021, 00:31:16 by RockWood »

Offline RockWood

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:09:03 »
BTW I'd be happy to share the full plate file with you.  and just reread and so that you have a laser so cool that you can make on the fly adjustments.   I haven't even got it yet and want to redo my case already, so the av3 and now I want to do a gasket acrylic alice. I'm however running out of GAS(gadget acquisition syndrome)

Offline davido_labido

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 12:51:26 »
Thanks for the reply dude! I only just got around to checking everything again!

I have a laser myself so I just threw the files I grabbed (which was the full plate iirc) onto it and hoped for the best. The LED hole I'm not as bothered about I can easily work out the shift of them, it is probably about half a mm, might even just be that the switches in the plate are forcing the acrylic not to sit in the correct position and if I do it with the other file, it may be spot on.

it does seem like the file you have has fixes some of the issues that I had so might be a good start, if you don't mind sharing it that is, I am not sure who owns these kinda files and although they're only ever for myself I don't want to put people in trouble :D

Offline RockWood

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 22:29:38 »
PM'd you.  Yutski posted the files herself and that's why there are so many Alice layout case designs.  I believe it was also the file on github before it got changed out.  From what I read,  It seems the community just asks permission if they're doing a large project.  My new case is due to arrive this tuesday, gl with yours and let me know how it turns out.