Author Topic: [idea] thumb stick extension for (almost) any keyboard  (Read 2988 times)

Offline xandr

[idea] thumb stick extension for (almost) any keyboard
« on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 03:26:14 »
I just recently bought my first mechanical keyboard(s) and now my Logitech G13 feels "wrong". Having thought about modding the G13 with MX switches, I had a different idea:

Take an analog thumb stick, attach it to a teensy and integrate it into a wrist rest with the stick being right below the spacebar.

This way you'd get approximately the same range of keys - if your rest position is ESDF, slightly fewer if WASD - while still having the stick in reach of your thumb.

Any thoughts/input on this? Also, does anyone know a good wrist rest that would allow that kind of modding (cutting a hole in the center to put a thumb stick assembly into it?
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline BlueBär

Re: [idea] thumb stick extension for (almost) any keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 05:38:15 »
I don't think this would be comfortable after a while because of the angle of your hand. However you can check out the Razer Orbweaver which is similar to the G13 and mechanical, some people on GH have them and already did some mods with them which you should check out.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:07:31 »
Looks promising to me and you can't beat the price.

Offline xandr

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 09:12:07 »
I've been looking at the Orbweaver, but the price - it's 129 € in Europe - is putting me off to be honest. Also I'm not sure if I'll like the d-pad/hat switch instead of the analog stick on the G13.

I'm not sure if I can follow you regarding the hand position being uncomfortable after a while. The hand position wouldn't be that different from how your hand is sitting on the G13.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 10:24:07 »
The palmrest of the G13 is a bit bent so the hand doesn't lie flat, the thumbstick itself is in a recessed part of the rest. With a wristrest though and the thumbstick sticking out a bit it could be, depending on how you implement it, that this hand position get's very uncomfortable after a while. It really depends on the position of the thumbstick, so you might want to try out various positions of it whilst prototyping.

Not trying to discourage you from doing this btw., it's a nice project. ;)