Author Topic: Accidentally ripped a pad off my Poker 2...  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
Accidentally ripped a pad off my Poker 2...
« on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:08:04 »

What's the best way of fixing it? Not really sure how. :(

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Accidentally ripped a pad off my Poker 2...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:27:53 »
Looks like the through hole is plated, so you should be able to probe around and find a via it connects to (The neighboring diode is a prime candidate) then get some super fine wire to bridge the gap.

What key is it? I can go look on my poker2 if you like.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:31:34 »
Looks like the through hole is plated, so you should be able to probe around and find a via it connects to (The neighboring diode is a prime candidate) then get some super fine wire to bridge the gap.

What key is it? I can go look on my poker2 if you like.
It's the Z key. I was thinking of just soldering a wire to the pad on the other side, running the wire through the hole where you'd install a PCB mounted switch, and then just solder that to the lead of the switch. Not sure if that would work well however...

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:36:10 »
The problem with that is that the switch will sit on "top" of the wire, and won't look or feel right

I've got mine apart, so I'll see how easy it'll be to fix (I suspect it'll be pretty easy actually.)

Looks like you can solder a wire from the right side of PN to the "z" switch lead that's missing it's corresponding PCB pad. I'm just following the trace with my eyes.

I'd offer to do it for you, but last time I forgot to mail the PCB back in a timely manner at all.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:38:38 by dorkvader »

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:42:16 »
The problem with that is that the switch will sit on "top" of the wire, and won't look or feel right

I've got mine apart, so I'll see how easy it'll be to fix (I suspect it'll be pretty easy actually.)
Didn't think about that.

Thanks for looking through. I'm pretty new to soldering and whatnot so I have no idea what to do in this situation... Hopefully you can help :)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:51:16 »
Nonsense! Heat the pin very hot and flow solder up the pin to the top pad.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:53:44 »
Ok well look up PCB trace repair, that's basically what you're doing, but you get to take the easy way. Instead of scraping soldermask off the back of the PCB and soldering to the trace, you can just solder the wire between two pins of the switches, basically "replacing" the trace entirely. I did a similar thing when I fixed the left alt of my old QFR.

What I did was "steal" some wire out of a broken USB cable I had. You can get some from lots of places, old earbuds are good too. Cut it to length, strip the insulation, tin the tips, and go! soldering directly to pins of cherry switches isn't too hard. you can even do a whole keyboard that way (example link )

This will likely work, but you will have to be careful to not damage components. Overall, I'd recommend repairing the trace with wire, (which is easier, in my opinion) but it's up to you which to try.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:11:15 »
Ok well look up PCB trace repair, that's basically what you're doing, but you get to take the easy way. Instead of scraping soldermask off the back of the PCB and soldering to the trace, you can just solder the wire between two pins of the switches, basically "replacing" the trace entirely. I did a similar thing when I fixed the left alt of my old QFR.

What I did was "steal" some wire out of a broken USB cable I had. You can get some from lots of places, old earbuds are good too. Cut it to length, strip the insulation, tin the tips, and go! soldering directly to pins of cherry switches isn't too hard. you can even do a whole keyboard that way (example link )

This will likely work, but you will have to be careful to not damage components. Overall, I'd recommend repairing the trace with wire, (which is easier, in my opinion) but it's up to you which to try.
Sounds simple.

Do you mean something like this?

I assume I just solder in the one pin that has a pad, and then just use a small wire to 'bridge' them together? Just making sure I understand correctly and don't fry my board.   :))

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:24:23 »

Sounds simple.

Show Image

I assume I just solder in the one pin that has a pad, and then just use a small wire to 'bridge' them together? Just making sure I understand correctly and don't fry my board.   :))

I don't think it works that way.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:26:10 »

Sounds simple.

Show Image

I don't think it works that way.
Yeah.. now that I actually looked at the example.. oops.  :))

I think I get it now. Misunderstood the first time. I didn't read "switches"...

--

Wow okay I feel really dumb.. I'll go ahead and try what you said dorkvader (solder wire from right of PN to the broken pad's lead) when I get my clear switches in.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:50:22 by Defying »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 23:14:52 »
For what it's worth, I did do this to a Poker 2, and managed to get it working by soldering it anyway.  The solder wicked up to the top pad.