Author Topic: A second Ergodox, so i don't have to cart keyboards around.  (Read 1625 times)

Offline nodus

• Woe is the day lenovo took thinkpad keyboards away
My second ergodox, but first build. I bought my first one right here on geek hack on the classifieds, because i didn't want to commit to the time until i knew i loved it.

The surface mount diodes were a beast. The massdrop kit came with 80, i needed 76. I lost 5. Fffffffff.........
I tried to track down the correct surface mount diodes, locally on the memorial day weekend. Only place I could find it was almost 60 miles away, to the other end of the bay area. I ended up driving 3 hours to get a few 1.5 cent diodes. I ended up with slightly different diode package, round and made of glass, rather than square with tabs. I had quite a time getting them soldered. For a few of them, I ended up going with through hole diodes and simply clipping the leads very short. I would say THAT'S the way to go. That or if the switches you use have holes for leds, you can thread regular old non light emitting kind through the holes. The surface mounts are just soo finicky.

Turns out Radioshack DOES carry them btw, they just list the diodes as 1n916/4148 rather than just 1n4148. Through hole but see above.
Waiting on the freestyle tenting accessories from amazon, and the grifiti thin macbook wrist wrests  to match the ergodox I have at work.

The keycaps are a mixture of DSA  keys from SP and a set of caps pulled from a old cherry pos board.

Rolled the dice and went with mx blues, and I suspect I am going to get a set of either clears or grays to replace them. :mad:  My work board has clears and I like them a bit better than the blues. feel like I am constantly bottoming the blues out. I come from the fairly stiff springs of a IBM buckling spring keyboards, so i may even try some full blown greys.

[daily drivers] full hand ergodox with kenisis tenting accessories and grifiti mackbook wrist rests

in the pile: 3 unicomp classics, a alps clone SIIG MiniTouch, 2 lenovo usb thinkpad keyboards, ms naturals (4000, 7000 and 2 x original)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: A second Ergodox, so i don't have to cart keyboards around.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:30:17 »
Go with Greens. They feel like blues but you don't bottom out so harshly. Some here have even compared greens to buckling spring -- but of course the mechanism is so different there's no way you'd confuse the two.

If the GH60 boards ever become mainstream like the phantoms, I'm going to get one with mx-greens.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user