Author Topic: Added Controllable RGB Case Lighting to my Sprit 60  (Read 1161 times)

Offline childofthehorn

Added Controllable RGB Case Lighting to my Sprit 60
« on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 11:07:38 »

The Case lighting has a separate controller and buttons. Was going to use an ATTiny85, but found a cheaper solution that had what I was looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EA9PR0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Cheaper than using the WS2812 based LEDs and a bit more power efficient I found. The controller when stripped down will fit where the dip switches normally are (even in a TEX case). You can only use ~6 LEDs with the PCB already having backlit keys on a single 500ma connection (of which most keyboards are specc'd). However, without backlit keys, you can get another 6-7 on there without much of an issue.

Now much to my dismay, I found that my TEX case had a broken screw post when I took my plate off to even do this mod in the first place and it had never left my work desk.   >:D The quality on the TEX acrylic cases for the posts is very poor and I would suggest you look for something else. Not having the metal inserts that most plastic cases do, this really suffers.