Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237969 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #2200 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 17:15:21 »
I built this about 2 weeks ago for someone, so here is the video of the process. It's a little more detailed than the instructions and video on massdrop, so it might help if you're building for the first time. There is an INDEX in the video description to skip around to certain steps.

Offline cpf

« Reply #2201 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 17:23:01 »
I built this about 2 weeks ago for someone, so here is the video of the process. It's a little more detailed than the instructions and video on massdrop, so it might help if you're building for the first time. There is an INDEX in the video description to skip around to certain steps.

Very well done! MassDrop should link to this on their assembly page, right now it's just a collection of artsy nondescript photos and vaguely worded instructions...

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2202 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 17:30:41 »

I want that syringe/heat gun combo. How much did it cost ya?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2203 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 17:49:39 »
~$300 for the hot air station, solder paste was ~$15. You can get a decent hot air gun for ~$80, but it's really not needed if all you do is keyboards. There won't be many opportunities to use hot air.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #2204 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 17:55:27 »
MassDrop instructions were very vauge
SmallFry! <3

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2205 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 18:19:10 »
MassDrop instructions were very vauge

i didn't have a problem with them but i can see where you are coming from.

thanks for the video WFD, i bet you if you contacted massdrop they would put that video on the instructions page, it would really help those both in the unfinished round 1 and the upcoming round 2.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #2206 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:41:41 »
So, I haven't even got around to building mine yet, but when I went to Radio Shack to get some soldering supplies tonight, I stumbled across a promising solution to the desire for tenting. I found these PCB standoffs, which are basically just coupling nuts:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102848

As it turns out, they're M3 threaded, the same as the screws supplied for the layer case, so they can be used to fashion adjustable legs on the inboard end. Better yet, they're attractively chromed and come in a set of 4 for just $1.99! Use the standoffs instead of the nuts provided with the kit, add a couple additional M3 screws of desired length and adjust to taste, then use the provided nuts as locknuts.

It just occurred to me it might be a good idea to add a washer between the standoff and the acrylic (and maybe on top as well, between the acrylic and screw head) to better distribute stress and avoid potentially cracking the acrylic due to the lever effect of the long legs. The M3 screws provided with the ErgoDox kit are barely long enough to fully engage the provided nuts, and the standoff threading is slightly countersunk, so adding washers would reduce thread engagement even further, thus it's prolly best to get some slightly longer M3 screws to go through the case at those points, keeping the provided screws to use as feet.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline NthTier

« Reply #2207 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:47:08 »

I noticed in the vid you did not solder 3 of the pins on the I/O expander - intentional?  Great vid and I have it bookmarked for when my kit shows up! :)

Offline Larken

« Reply #2208 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:50:35 »

WFD is being very modest when he says its 'a little' more detailed than what massdrop has. That's my other ergodox kit he's working on (I decided to send one off to a pro, just in case I failed on mine :D), so I'm a happy camper; those who'd already built their kits would know that's an absolutely perfect assembly job he's done on the kit and makes it look so much easier than it really is. Massdrop should really put this up as a reference for those who hadn't started on their kits yet.

@kurplop: I know I've said it already, but that tray is crazy awesome. After two weeks with my ergodox, I'm finding that this is as near the perfect keyboard as I can find (like Glod, I'm very much in love with my ergodox.) Your tray makes me want to build a similar one that houses a wireless touchpad like the logitech t650, but I wouldn't even know where to start on one of these.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2209 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 23:34:40 »
WFD, you got a link to the soundtrack? That ****'s tight

Also, I'd like to know what kind of soldering iron/station you're using (mainly what that little tube that looks like it's attached to it is). Is that also part of the hot-air thingamajig?
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 23:36:58 by daerid »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #2210 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 23:49:47 »
Gareth Emery – Sanctuary

Nice video, WFD.  I didn't have any trouble with the instructions, but I agree they are rather light on important details that could easily trip-up a beginner.
Russ

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #2211 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 11:21:37 »
I changed the led fuctionality, to display which layer I'm on, rather than the default num, scr, caps.

I'ts a simple hack, to disable the default, and just modify the push/pop functions, to light up the leds:

• Delete line 17-22, in the keyboard/ergodox/layout/default--layout.h file
  • Delete line 116-125, in the main.c file
  • Delete line 53-70, in the keyboard/ergodox/layout/default--led-control.h file
  • Add _kb_led_X_on(), and ...off(), as needed, in the keyboard/lib/key-functions/public/basic.c, line 100 and onwards

Remember to compile with the right layout!
I like cats.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2212 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 11:24:59 »
im more curious on how to program the light on the teesy board to show which layer i am on.

Offline zello

« Reply #2213 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 15:23:24 »
I was in on the last buy and decided that I would like to have someone else build it.   Any recommendations and cost?
Z

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2214 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:41:20 »
I just got a wild thought... Has anyone who got the acrylic case considered to use white nylon bolts instead of bolts of metal? I think that would look more "spacey"... especially with white keys.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2215 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 23:26:40 »
im more curious on how to program the light on the teensy board to show which layer i am on.

Here you go, I posted a patch to do that earlier in this very thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg844285#msg844285
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TD22057

« Reply #2216 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 22:14:37 »
I'm not actually building an ErgoDox (but they do look fantastic) - I'm trying to use the firmware and wiring diagrams to learn enough to design my own keyboard.  Could someone tell me what the capacitor on the I/O extender is connected to and what it's use is?  I was looking at the wiring diagram Firmware circuit diagram (in PNG graphics form here) and it doesn't show it at all.

Thanks!

Offline ic07

« Reply #2217 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 02:19:08 »
The capacitor on the I/O expander is a decoupling capacitor, connecting Vcc and GND on the left hand side.  I'm afraid I don't understand the subtleties, but I gather it's there to help filter any noise that may come from the right hand side over the power lines, and help keep voltage from dipping as quickly if the left hand side power consumption suddenly spikes for some reason.

Empirically, it doesn't seem to be necessary, but I've heard that from a design standpoint it's a good idea :-)
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2013, 02:21:00 by ic07 »

Offline TD22057

« Reply #2218 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 09:46:15 »
The capacitor on the I/O expander is a decoupling capacitor, connecting Vcc and GND on the left hand side.  I'm afraid I don't understand the subtleties, but I gather it's there to help filter any noise that may come from the right hand side over the power lines, and help keep voltage from dipping as quickly if the left hand side power consumption suddenly spikes for some reason.

Thanks!

Offline NthTier

« Reply #2219 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:14:58 »
Does anyone know how think the acrylic plates are?  Thinking about making one out of aluminum with the same dimensions as the acrylic.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2220 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:26:32 »
Does anyone know how think the acrylic plates are?  Thinking about making one out of aluminum with the same dimensions as the acrylic.
Very close to 1.5mm for costar stabilisers.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2221 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 02:16:56 »

I assume they are the same as the aluminum.  Layer one and five are 1/8" and the three inner layers are 3/16" each.

Offline cpf

ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #2222 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 07:23:52 »

From the Massdrop staff in the comments of the latest GB:

Jasper  @ cpf  Apr. 15, 2013
@cpf the top/bottom sheet is 3/32" and the middle sheets are 3/16". the bottom-most middle sheet (layer 4 according to Step 22 of https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/assembly) can be made as thick as you want, though 3/16" is around as thin as you should go for sufficient capacitor clearance.

Offline NthTier

« Reply #2223 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 07:55:57 »
Thanks all for the replies.  :)

Offline Dreyer

« Reply #2224 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 11:13:47 »
Don't now if this was already posted, but once in a while my ErgoDox seems to turn off. Once I detach the mini USB cable and connect again it goes on again.

Anyone know what can be possible going wrong?

EDIT: Well, I discovered what was wrong. I was accidentally pressing the key to change layers. Needless to say I am felling like an idiot know.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:18:50 by Dreyer »

Offline NthTier

« Reply #2225 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:45:51 »
Will costar stabilizers work with the thumb keys?

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #2226 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:46:08 »

@cpf the top/bottom sheet is 3/32" and the middle sheets are 3/16". the bottom-most middle sheet (layer 4 according to Step 22 of https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/assembly) can be made as thick as you want, though 3/16" is around as thin as you should go for sufficient capacitor clearance.
FWIW, I reckon an aluminum mounting plate could prolly be just 3/32-1/8" (2-3mm) thick, which would allow more clearance between the plate and PCB, allowing the use of top-mounted thru-hole diodes.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #2227 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 20:00:28 »
I have two dead keys on my Dox, anybody know what could be know causes/ solutions? I am pretty sure they worked before.
SmallFry! <3

Offline spm

« Reply #2228 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 02:24:34 »
I have two dead keys on my Dox, anybody know what could be know causes/ solutions? I am pretty sure they worked before.

Probably bad soldered diode or switch, after some manipulating it can loss contact. If you have multimeter you can try to test contacts on diode and on switch.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2229 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 02:33:04 »

Probably cold joint on the switch or diode. Reflow those 4 switch pins and diodes.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #2230 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 07:51:53 »
WFD, thanks for making the ErgoDox assembly video. You should be a neurosurgeon with those hands. Mine hands shake more than my old Rambler with the bent front wheel.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #2231 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:45:16 »

FWIW, I reckon an aluminum mounting plate could prolly be just 3/32-1/8" (2-3mm) thick, which would allow more clearance between the plate and PCB, allowing the use of top-mounted thru-hole diodes.

Someone on the Massdrop discussion thread looked up the Cherry MX specs:

Seeing the cherry mx plate mount specifications, the mounting plate (no 3) has 0.06 ± 0.004 inch thickness.

From the top of the plate to the top of the PCB you have 0.197 inch. As the PCBs are designed for PCB mount as well, and the PCBs for that should have 0.06 inch, I'd take an educated guess that layer no 2 has 0.197 inch.

Obviously, the acrylic mounting plates are far thicker than that spec just for the sake of strength, and indeed, the switches don't properly latch into the plate because of this (the latching tabs don't engage the bottom face of the plate). Metal being stronger than acrylic can be a lot thinner, so you may be able to meet the Cherry spec with 1/16" (1.5mm) aluminum sheet, or even thinner steel, tin, or brass.

Hm, brass... steampunk ErgoDox, anyone?  ;D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2232 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 21:01:46 »

The plate that holds the switch must be between 1/16" and 3/16". It can't be thicker, otherwise the switches won't sit flush on the PCB, but rather blocked by the acrylic. You can go with aluminum or steel to make it thinner, however if you do, then the middle layer (right below the layer that the switches are mounted into) must be thicker to keep the PCB elevated by the same height. If the PCB is too low, then the switches and solder joint hits the bottom layer acrylic.

WFD, thanks for making the ErgoDox assembly video. You should be a neurosurgeon with those hands. Mine hands shake more than my old Rambler with the bent front wheel.

My hands are relatively steady unless I'm really hungry  ::)

Offline regack

« Reply #2233 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 08:07:23 »
The plate that holds the switch must be between 1/16" and 3/16". It can't be thicker, otherwise the switches won't sit flush on the PCB, but rather blocked by the acrylic. You can go with aluminum or steel to make it thinner, however if you do, then the middle layer (right below the layer that the switches are mounted into) must be thicker to keep the PCB elevated by the same height. If the PCB is too low, then the switches and solder joint hits the bottom layer acrylic.

So make Layer 2 thicker or split layer 3 into 3a (Layer3 thickness minus 1/16in) and 3b (1/16in plate).

Offline Unix Guru

« Reply #2234 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 14:43:38 »
LEDs on the left (MCP23018) side!  :cool:

20402-0

Sorry for the blurry pic.  Right now they only light up at init and go out after a second so not enough time to get a good snapshot.

I mounted them so they show out the inner side.  The MCP23018 will only sink current so it would require hacking the PCB to get LEDs to work under the keys.

Here is the modification.  Resistors for LEDa and LEDb are in the same place as the Teensy side (they go to pins 9/GPB6 and 10/GPB7).  LEDc resistor is in the shrink wrap going to pin 27 (GPA7).  The 3 red wires are +5V.  Resistors are all 330.  LEDs are LTL-433 (flat) series.

20404-1

They work a bit differently than the Teensy LEDs.  State changes are not immediate.  The LED settings are piggybacked on to the normal traffic going to the MCP23018.

I've attached the diffs against partial-rewrite branch.  All they do is flash on during init.  If I can figure out where the "current layer" is remembered I will probably use them to show the layer.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2235 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 14:55:39 »
Ok. that's pretty sweet. Might have to try it myself.

Offline ic07

« Reply #2236 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 15:24:15 »
@Unix Guru
Nice indeed :-) .  Layer stuff is kept track of here.

Edit:
Though, if it were me, I'd probably define new layer push-pop functions that called the kb__led__(on|off) functions directly, instead of handling things in the exec_key() function.  Sorry the documentation and such on this branch isn't finished yet.  Glad to see someone using it anyway though :-) .
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:26:46 by ic07 »

Offline NthTier

« Reply #2237 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 15:46:31 »

(Attachment Link)

Sorry for the blurry pic.  Right now they only light up at init and go out after a second so not enough time to get a good snapshot.

I mounted them so they show out the inner side.  The MCP23018 will only sink current so it would require hacking the PCB to get LEDs to work under the keys.

Here is the modification.  Resistors for LEDa and LEDb are in the same place as the Teensy side (they go to pins 9/GPB6 and 10/GPB7).  LEDc resistor is in the shrink wrap going to pin 27 (GPA7).  The 3 red wires are +5V.  Resistors are all 330.  LEDs are LTL-433 (flat) series.

(Attachment Link)

They work a bit differently than the Teensy LEDs.  State changes are not immediate.  The LED settings are piggybacked on to the normal traffic going to the MCP23018.

I've attached the diffs against partial-rewrite branch.  All they do is flash on during init.  If I can figure out where the "current layer" is remembered I will probably use them to show the layer.

Wow, nice!  I see that 3 pins on the IO expander are not soldered.  I didn't see that in the assembly instructions.  Why are those 3 pins not soldered?

Offline regack

« Reply #2238 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 15:58:08 »

Wow, nice!  I see that 3 pins on the IO expander are not soldered.  I didn't see that in the assembly instructions.  Why are those 3 pins not soldered?

I don't think you can solder them, there are no pads there.  As far as I can tell they're not used in the design, and not including pads for them frees up a little space for traces in that area where it's pretty tight.

Offline NthTier

« Reply #2239 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:03:01 »

I don't think you can solder them, there are no pads there.  As far as I can tell they're not used in the design, and not including pads for them frees up a little space for traces in that area where it's pretty tight.

Appreciate the input.  Sometimes that is hard to see in the pictures (part of the 2nd group buy so learning all I can).

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #2240 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 20:16:59 »
I have a question about the LEDs. Did anyone manage to route the LEDs to the top of the case yet? I find it awkward to have them under keys that have no relation to their function.

I had the same inclination, so this may be relevant to your interests:
I'm thinking of swapping the switch-mounted LEDs with their resistors -- i.e., putting the LEDs where their respective resistors would normally go (just to the left of the Teensy) and vice-versa (most likely putting the resistors on the underside of the PCB and soldering them same-side). They're series circuits, so I think it should work, just gotta take care to maintain proper LED polarity (I gather the + leads should point towards the Teensy), and of course some creative bending of the leads will be necessary to accommodate the solder pad spacing on the PCB.

Another approach I'm considering is leaving the LEDs soldered where they would normally go, but putting them under the PCB (rather than thru the switches) and leaving long enough leads to bend them over to the left edge of the PCB, so when illuminated they would shine into the left edge of the case.

I've started soldering up my ErgoDox and decided to go for swapping the positions of the LEDs and their resistors, so the LEDs will shine alongside the Teensy. However, I ran into a bit of a snag due to poor foresight on my part, as I'd bent both legs of the LEDs in such a way as to center them between their respective pads and soldered them into place that way; then, only after I soldered the Teensy in place, did I realize the 2 LEDs closest to the Teensy stick up too far, blocking me from inserting the stripped USB plug into the Teensy, and even if I could, those LEDs would wind up buried partially under the USB plug and its leads. :(

Now I'll have to desolder those and get 2 new LEDs to replace them, this time inserted so the negative (longer) lead goes straight down into the PCB pad, and only bend the positive lead to reach the other pad closest to the Teensy. I can't just reuse the original LEDs, as I'd already clipped their leads down to size after soldering, which leaves the positive lead too short to reach its pad if I wanted to reposition them.

Also nice to see someone went with the approach of putting the LEDs under the PCB and shining out the inboard side, but putting them on the left hand was a nifty twist on that idea!

Offline listboss

« Reply #2241 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 00:23:16 »
So, I haven't even got around to building mine yet, but when I went to Radio Shack to get some soldering supplies tonight, I stumbled across a promising solution to the desire for tenting. I found these PCB standoffs, which are basically just coupling nuts:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102848

Nice solution, I got those stands as well as these covers (from Lowe's) to protect my desk:

Hillman Screw Covers Hinged

I just need to cut the MD supplied socket screws since the stands don't seem to have enough thread to reduce the tenting to my likings.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2242 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:54:15 »
@Unix Guru
Nice indeed :-) .  Layer stuff is kept track of here.

Edit:
Though, if it were me, I'd probably define new layer push-pop functions that called the kb__led__(on|off) functions directly, instead of handling things in the exec_key() function.  Sorry the documentation and such on this branch isn't finished yet.  Glad to see someone using it anyway though :-) .

Wow, so many options! I drive some leds from main.c, another user from lib/key-functions/public/basic.c, unix guru from other places, and now more suggestions :-)  The code is way too flexible, haha.

By the way, I was able to attach an mp3 in another post where you can hear how my buzzer for making my cherry reds "clicky" sounds like:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=42231.0;attach=20386
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:56:27 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #2243 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 02:43:00 »
FWIW, here's my adapted QWERTY layout:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=S49G3K&hash=efa53b6b5b1b12ff866bba7c6026e92d

I've devised a way to retain an inverted-T cluster of cursor keys in the lower-right corner, which moves /? into IMO a better position for reducing pinky stress among other reasons, along with ' ". The =+ and -_ keys are at the inner top corners for ease of Ctrl-+/- combos (which I commonly use), which also takes them off of pinky duty. I've put an extra Tab on an inner 1.5x key for an easy Alt-Tab with nearly the same hand gesture as on a standard keyboard.

I've kept the repositioned Shift and Ctrl keys of my TrulyErgonomic, since I'll prolly be keeping the latter for home use at least until the next ErgoDox group buy happens, and switching between standard and row-up Shift/Ctrl positioning is a bit disorienting. After trying both standard and row-up Shift/Ctrl positioning on my TECK, I've concluded that the latter is indeed more comfortable as claimed. I've also added Shift keys on the bottom inner 1.5x keys, to see if that may be practical for thumb shifting.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #2244 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 04:13:54 »
I did the same thing with Shift and Ctrl. It seems Truly Ergonomics got that one right. I like your arrow cluster position also.

Offline Unix Guru

« Reply #2245 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 08:32:54 »

Those aren't the pins you're looking for  :)  (for my mod anyway)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2013, 08:35:20 by Unix Guru »

Offline Unix Guru

« Reply #2246 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 15:52:04 »

The twi_read hangs if any of the LEDs in that port are on.  I could temporarily turn them off while scanning but I suppose there is just something I don't understand about configuring the MCP23018.

I'm also playing with a poor-mans PWM on those LEDs.  Since they are refreshed constantly one could simulate a pseudo-PWM.  Have it working partially but need to polish some more before posting code.

Offline Unix Guru

« Reply #2247 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:52:03 »

The finished code is attached.  Note that it is for the partial-rewrite branch, not the trunk code.  Similar changes could be made to the trunk.

The left LEDs are named 11, 12, 13 from the top down.  Brightness can be set although 0 is nowhere close to off since the flicker gets to be too much.  They cycle during power up just like the ones on the right side - at full brightness because they can't be dimmed during power up.

The Teensy LED is also enabled (named 6) and winks during power up.  I used it to flash debug messages  :)

Lastly, I've used the left LEDs to indicate the current layer.  This can be disabled by commenting out the define of ENABLE_LEFT_LED_LAYERS in the makefile.

Enjoy.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #2248 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:17:51 »
I finally got my scroll wheel working and am using my ErgoDox. I'm planning some changes in my layout and I noticed that some people have GUI keys and it occurred to  me that I don't have a clue what they do. Can someone explain their function, or is it one of those "If you have to ask you don't need to know"?

On a side note, as I began typing, I soon became aware that I neglected to include an apostrophe in my layout. I'm using the old keyboard on the side just for apostrophe's until I download the changes. :-[

Offline ic07

« Reply #2249 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 15:44:49 »
... and I noticed that some people have GUI keys ... Can someone explain their function, or is it one of those "If you have to ask you don't need to know"?

The GUI keys are "windows" keys on Windows, and "command" keys on Macs - and "GUI" keys in the USB spec :-)