Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606627 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2400 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:20:32 »
Seeing this thread in Spy reminded me that I've not messed with my OS in a long time and on checking it's been nearly two years since I installed Arch, most of that running XFCE.  That has to be some kind of record and I've not had any problems so it will be extended.

This is why I call Linux boring.
Within 6-12 months my Windows installs were always trashed.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2401 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:52:25 »
Seeing this thread in Spy reminded me that I've not messed with my OS in a long time and on checking it's been nearly two years since I installed Arch, most of that running XFCE.  That has to be some kind of record and I've not had any problems so it will be extended.

I've ran Linux as my primary OS for about 16 years, trashed many installs going too bleeding edge like running CVS XF86 (I think that's what Xorg was called back then?) so the graphics in my laptop worked and similar when transparency was nearly available.  Or there was a new desktop environment to check out and I didn't want the mess of updating multiple or the allure of Gentoo's complete optimisation bit me so that meant a new install on a second partition sharing /home...  New job means less time at home so I'm now just a user rather than a tweaker.  Maybe there is nothing to play with and it's got boring but I'm sure I could find something to break if I looked :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2402 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 21:48:05 »

I've ran Linux as my primary OS for about 16 years, trashed many installs going too bleeding edge like running CVS XF86 (I think that's what Xorg was called back then?) so the graphics in my laptop worked and similar when transparency was nearly available.  Or there was a new desktop environment to check out and I didn't want the mess of updating multiple or the allure of Gentoo's complete optimisation bit me so that meant a new install on a second partition sharing /home...  New job means less time at home so I'm now just a user rather than a tweaker.  Maybe there is nothing to play with and it's got boring but I'm sure I could find something to break if I looked :thumb:
Oh, it can break, I've done it many times but it's not the same as Windows where there's a registry that just gets more and more bloated with garbage.
Not that Linux purges perfect, but it just doesn't get bogged down by it like Windows does.

The other big difference is Linux, as strange as it may seem to Windows users, actually adheres to stricter control of data than Windows. Sure a program may get placed in a different place but al MY data is in the home folder, if I copy that everything is backed up. If you do that in Windows and paste it back into another Windows install ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. There are things that should never be copied in there, save files in random places, for as much as Windows users thing Windows is standardized it's really a gigantic mess because companies and users are free to place anything anywhere. It's maddening.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #2403 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 13:29:16 »
I run a bunch of old and new ThinkPads, for which I usually default to either TinyCore or Mint respectively. TinyCore is extremely lightweight - it takes a while to set up right, but I find it squeezes out every bit of an old machine's performance and allows me to save money with upgrading old machines storage with makeshift IDE SSDs. TinyCore with FLTK/FLWM is 16MB by default, however, I use the 106MB CorePlus since it has wireless and non-US keyboard support built in.

Mint just works. 'Nuff said.

I also presently have single machines running Arch, Kali, Kubuntu and Manjaro at the moment.

Offline hong@RebultKeyboards

• Rebult Keyboards
    • Rebult Keyboards
« Reply #2404 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 11:51:47 »
Windows on desktop (mainly for gaming and Adobe suite) Fedora on my laptop, been loving it.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #2405 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 14:16:27 »
Started off on Redhat many moons ago (possibly Fedora 6), eventually switched my laptop and desktops to Kubuntu. I also run straight up debian on my Rpi's and a couple of other servers.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline yui

« Reply #2406 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 01:03:38 »
Started off on Redhat many moons ago (possibly Fedora 6), eventually switched my laptop and desktops to Kubuntu. I also run straight up debian on my Rpi's and a couple of other servers.
i am the only one being completely inept at installing and using ubuntu? don't get me wrong i have plenty of debian and opensuse machines but when i want to give a pc to someone i'd rather it run ubuntu because most of any help online is for ubuntu or ubuntu based distro, but i always end up with a stuck boot screen or kernel panic every time i try to install it... and when i am on an ubuntu machine i can't make heads or tails of the interface...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2407 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 02:24:48 »
i am the only one being completely inept at installing and using ubuntu? don't get me wrong i have plenty of debian and opensuse machines but when i want to give a pc to someone i'd rather it run ubuntu because most of any help online is for ubuntu or ubuntu based distro, but i always end up with a stuck boot screen or kernel panic every time i try to install it... and when i am on an ubuntu machine i can't make heads or tails of the interface...
You have to shut down half your brain, then it will make sense, I have to do the same with HP printer and scanning software.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #2408 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 02:52:57 »
If that doesn't work for you, then why do you keep doing this?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #2409 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 03:19:56 »
If that doesn't work for you, then why do you keep doing this?
well it is not for me, my favorite are OpenSuse for virtualization and development and Debian for when i do want to deal with instabilities. being able to install Ubuntu would be nice for others, as when you are new to it having forums online with solutions that you do not need to translate to zypper or/and add repos would be nice, although i had put OpenSuse on my mother's computer and the only problems she had with it were printers, I guess that Ubuntu is nice for newbie power-users, kinda like myself

Offline hong@RebultKeyboards

• Rebult Keyboards
    • Rebult Keyboards
« Reply #2410 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 03:29:43 »
You have to shut down half your brain, then it will make sense, I have to do the same with HP printer and scanning software.

I would say that with most printer software our there.

Offline sloth.

• Corne gang
« Reply #2411 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 03:55:40 »
Oh a linux thread, glad to see more keyboard enthusiasts using linux!

I am currently using Gentoo since half year or so, having a blast. Portage gives every customization possible, USE flags are here to stay, every package I want is there or in layers, fast as crazy and no systemd among other advantages  ^-^

I love using my keyoboard with a tiling wm like bspwm and gives me a lot of productivity.

Offline davidbachman

« Reply #2412 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 14:05:10 »
Oh a linux thread, glad to see more keyboard enthusiasts using linux!

I am currently using Gentoo since half year or so, having a blast. Portage gives every customization possible, USE flags are here to stay, every package I want is there or in layers, fast as crazy and no systemd among other advantages  ^-^

I love using my keyoboard with a tiling wm like bspwm and gives me a lot of productivity.

Same here ! Gentoo user Gentoo is life !

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2413 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 15:02:47 »
Running elementary OS on my laptop and Windows on my main computer  :) .
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #2414 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 15:15:20 »
Vanilla Ubuntu 20.04

Offline qiAip

« Reply #2415 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 05:00:52 »
It depends on what computer.  My casual desktop runs Manjaro and the workstation runs OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.  In WSL2 I run Debian and OpenSUSE 15.2 and server at work CentOS (for now).   But what really made the biggest difference and help me get more into keyboards was actually window managers - being able to really get the environment and keyboard to work in sync to do exactly what I want in a workflow that's unique to how I use it was just revolutionary.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #2416 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 05:09:51 »
I distro-hopped quite a bit when I was younger, and again when I was going to uni.

Arch was fun for a minute. LFS and Gentoo drove me crazy.

Eventually I just started using the minimal install of Debian and trying different tiling window managers. Stuck with it for a good bit before I got fedup of switching back to Windows whenever I wanted to play games.

After my Thinkpad T420blazeit died I gave up and just use only Windows now lol. At least I didn't have to study for any of my Linux courses. However I always keep a USB with Ubuntu or Debian on it for when I do something stupid like reformatting the HDD my bootloader is on. I did it again last month when I rebuilt my PC. You'd think I'd know better but I tend to surprise myself with new levels of stupidity quite often.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2417 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 09:37:25 »
Ubuntu 20.04 (mostly work), and Manjaro KDE (games, VLC/MPV, Jellyfin, etc.).

edit - Thought I'd share my transition from Xorg to Wayland

Though Ubuntu's Hirsute Hippo 21.04 is still in development, the feature freeze is in a few weeks, so why not give it a try for non-video work purposes.

I'm using libinput-gestures for my USB Jelly Comb glass touchpad (my config), and key-mapper as a stop gap before I install a custom controller in my Kinesis Advantage2.  Whew, no more xmodmap.

Why I like Wayland/Hirsute Hippo:
Better general touchpad support in Wayland.  Cursor speed can be cranked up so that highlighting text never requires two hands.  I forget I'm using an operating system, much like Focal Fossa 20.04.

My Hirsute Hippo gripes so far are:
Nvidia GPU support (Firefox), no kinetic scrolling (inertia, etc., which was fine in 20.04), Night Light and or Redshift is not functional (for me), and the wallpaper is not out yet.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2021, 09:40:50 by csmertx »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #2418 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 21:26:23 »
Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 (work)
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #2419 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 00:24:48 »
Been using PopOS 20.04 on my personal machine.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

« Reply #2420 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 12:20:26 »
Ubuntu 20.04 (Home)

Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 (Work)

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2421 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 16:02:06 »
Nice to see people posting in this thread :)

To add,
- Debian + i3 for work (desktop)

I'm running Arch on a laptop at home, but have though of switching to Arch on my work desktop as well,
because I'm getting tired of installing from source (plus bloat).
The only reason why I'm hesitating is that I need stuff to work nearly 100% of the time for efficiency. How
is the probability of messing up dependencies etc on Arch if you use it as a main system? Any thoughts?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2422 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 01:53:22 »
I'm running Arch on a laptop at home, but have though of switching to Arch on my work desktop as well,
The only reason why I'm hesitating is that I need stuff to work nearly 100% of the time for efficiency. How
is the probability of messing up dependencies etc on Arch if you use it as a main system? Any thoughts?
Moving away from Debian because of compiling from source and bloat? :confused:

My Arch has been running for 2.5 boring years of near daily use and I've not had a single problem, its the equivalent of windows + office + a couple of mature audio related programs + 1 game (which should be run in Windows) so you wouud hope it would work.

Have you had problems on the laptop?  What is work?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2423 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 02:39:00 »
Arch makes it easy to install TONS of things, much more than Debian, and dependencies are much less of an issue, I hated that on Mint. On occasion the AUR will bork an install because of a dependency or soemone forgetting to flag something in the kernel but once installed it's usually fine from then on, it's that first install that's kind of iffy once in a while. Still less hassle than dealing with Debian and Ubuntu repos and such, I don't miss that at all. I probably run into this more than most as I experiment a lot.

That said Debian is way more reliable.
Don't get me wrong, Arch is at least as stable as Windows 7 or 10 and is easier and faster to fix (downgrade and timeshift are lifesavers), I'm usually back up in a minute or two and happens about once a year but that's still not as good Debian, but I mean, how good is good enough?

I'm with S.O. though, what bloat? Debian should be lean and mean.

If it's mission critical, stick to Debian or switch to RHEL or RHEL derivative. If you's your personal desktop go with Arch/Arco/Manjaro/Endeavour.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2424 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 10:44:20 »
Arch makes it easy to install TONS of things, much more than Debian, and dependencies are much less of an issue, I hated that on Mint. On occasion the AUR will bork an install because of a dependency or soemone forgetting to flag something in the kernel but once installed it's usually fine from then on, it's that first install that's kind of iffy once in a while. Still less hassle than dealing with Debian and Ubuntu repos and such, I don't miss that at all. I probably run into this more than most as I experiment a lot.

That said Debian is way more reliable.
Don't get me wrong, Arch is at least as stable as Windows 7 or 10 and is easier and faster to fix (downgrade and timeshift are lifesavers), I'm usually back up in a minute or two and happens about once a year but that's still not as good Debian, but I mean, how good is good enough?

I'm with S.O. though, what bloat? Debian should be lean and mean.

If it's mission critical, stick to Debian or switch to RHEL or RHEL derivative. If you's your personal desktop go with Arch/Arco/Manjaro/Endeavour.

I see, yeah this has been my impression as well. Do you continuously back up your computer then, so you always can roll back if you mess something up?

Moving away from Debian because of compiling from source and bloat? :confused:

My Arch has been running for 2.5 boring years of near daily use and I've not had a single problem, its the equivalent of windows + office + a couple of mature audio related programs + 1 game (which should be run in Windows) so you wouud hope it would work.

Have you had problems on the laptop?  What is work?

What I mean is that at some point it gets annoying to install new software by cloning git repos etc, instead of just be able to use the package manager, from my understanding the packages available with pacman is pretty much up to date? And with bloat I mean that there are programs on my system that I don't use :) feels cleaner to install only what you need.
What would you say are the main reasons for people switch to Arch, from, e.g., Debian?
Work is some software development and academic stuff (grad student).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2425 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 11:08:03 »
What would you say are the main reasons for people switch to Arch, from, e.g., Debian?
I started with Slackware, then used Gentoo for years while at uni before losing my love of computers having failed to get a job in the field, then I was forced to get a new motherboard with UEFI bios and couldn't be bothered to learn how to make it boot.  That forced me to try various flavours of Mint and OpenSuse but coming from command line updating the 'helpful' GUIs irritated me and whenever I had a problem it was back to the command line to find that (after re-learning the commands) there were more updates available without updating the repositories which annoyed me further.  Arch kept being mentioned in this thread so thought I'd give it a go.

I guess most people would go from Windows to a friendly GUI distro, what their thinking process might be for going further so anything pre-packaged isn't available I have no idea - when put like that it sounds stupid.  If you want really lean Gentoo's use flags are (were?  As above I'm out of touch...) the best way of only having exactly what you need.

Software devel means a text editor and compiler?  You're unlikely to break that and if you do it can be done on a live CD/USB.  Or put /home on a separate partition and most of your program config will stick across multiple distros anyway so if you have a bit of space dual booting Debian/Arch while testing is a perfectly viable option, and you can chroot in from Debian to run updates while being productive in another window.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2426 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 11:57:11 »
I started with Slackware, then used Gentoo for years while at uni before losing my love of computers having failed to get a job in the field, then I was forced to get a new motherboard with UEFI bios and couldn't be bothered to learn how to make it boot.  That forced me to try various flavours of Mint and OpenSuse but coming from command line updating the 'helpful' GUIs irritated me and whenever I had a problem it was back to the command line to find that (after re-learning the commands) there were more updates available without updating the repositories which annoyed me further.  Arch kept being mentioned in this thread so thought I'd give it a go.

I guess most people would go from Windows to a friendly GUI distro, what their thinking process might be for going further so anything pre-packaged isn't available I have no idea - when put like that it sounds stupid.  If you want really lean Gentoo's use flags are (were?  As above I'm out of touch...) the best way of only having exactly what you need.

Software devel means a text editor and compiler?  You're unlikely to break that and if you do it can be done on a live CD/USB.  Or put /home on a separate partition and most of your program config will stick across multiple distros anyway so if you have a bit of space dual booting Debian/Arch while testing is a perfectly viable option, and you can chroot in from Debian to run updates while being productive in another window.

Yeah that's probably a good idea, I've tried it out on my laptop and vm, but I guess dual boot is another option to get comfortable with it! Thanks for the reassurance, I my only worry has been if something messes up when updating and I need to roll back and it takes time off work etc..
Yes exactly, and that's why it feels unnecessary to have a lot installed, especially stuff I don't use. I use it sort of minimalistic, with a WM, some terminal programs, and vim.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2427 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 18:10:14 »
Do you continuously back up your computer then, so you always can roll back if you mess something up?
I use Timeshift but also add script called timeshift-autosnap which automatically triggers a timeshift backup every time I run an update or install something, it may also run on uninstall (I forget). When used to restore (rollback) it sometimes takes an extra reboot and it seems like it has a permissions glitch for a day afterwards but it clears up on it's own you just can't really update for a few hours.

That only works for the OS though and does nothing for my personal data. I keep most of my stuff on my file server and I use Kbackup to backup my home folder to the file server. I use it manually because it can eat up a LOT of space with backups but it too can be completely automated.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2428 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 05:28:21 »
Do you continuously back up your computer then, so you always can roll back if you mess something up?
I use Timeshift but also add script called timeshift-autosnap which automatically triggers a timeshift backup every time I run an update or install something, it may also run on uninstall (I forget). When used to restore (rollback) it sometimes takes an extra reboot and it seems like it has a permissions glitch for a day afterwards but it clears up on it's own you just can't really update for a few hours.

That only works for the OS though and does nothing for my personal data. I keep most of my stuff on my file server and I use Kbackup to backup my home folder to the file server. I use it manually because it can eat up a LOT of space with backups but it too can be completely automated.

I see, thank you! I'll look into Timeshift seems like that is what I'd want if I were to switch to Arch!
Yeah that's nice, I have a script using rsync for backup of /home on a couple of raided disks which works quite nicely, having it running as a cron job.
Is your file server local?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2429 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 16:07:57 »
I see, thank you! I'll look into Timeshift seems like that is what I'd want if I were to switch to Arch!
Yeah that's nice, I have a script using rsync for backup of /home on a couple of raided disks which works quite nicely, having it running as a cron job.
You're welcome.

Yes, it's local, it's just an old desktop with a laptop drive for the OS and a large drive for storage.
Mine uses a 2nd gen I5 with a power brick and dc-dc power supply, total power from the wall rarely breaks 20 watts but only because I never spin down the drives.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2430 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 01:22:54 »
You're welcome.

Yes, it's local, it's just an old desktop with a laptop drive for the OS and a large drive for storage.
Mine uses a 2nd gen I5 with a power brick and dc-dc power supply, total power from the wall rarely breaks 20 watts but only because I never spin down the drives.

Nice though, I have 2 raid1 hhds in my desktop that spin up for backup and then spin down afterwards. But I've been thinking of tinkering a better solution, e.g., building a NAS, but I don't have a permanent home/apartment atm so maybe that is required first:p

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2431 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 06:11:54 »
Favourite distro I've used has been Kubuntu, which is just Ubuntu but uses the KDE desktop environment. Have also used Kali linux in the past but didn't love it. At home I primarily use Windows, as I play a lot of video games with friends.

Offline yui

« Reply #2432 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 06:16:45 »
just installed OpenSuse on my new gaming PC, if you plan on using discord, forget it, it just fails to open, and if you plan on using steam in small picture mode, same, your game library will not display (works perfectly fine in big picture mode though), but otherwise i have not found a game that would not work yet so rather happy so far :)
(for context my previous PC was Debian 10.7, both steam and discord works flawlessly on it)

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2433 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 04:46:32 »
just installed OpenSuse on my new gaming PC, if you plan on using discord, forget it, it just fails to open, and if you plan on using steam in small picture mode, same, your game library will not display (works perfectly fine in big picture mode though), but otherwise i have not found a game that would not work yet so rather happy so far :)
(for context my previous PC was Debian 10.7, both steam and discord works flawlessly on it)

can vouch for discord being crap on linux - in my experience it has managed to open but it has crashed incredibly frequently (to the point where it was unusable). hopefully they can sort this at some point, however small the linux userbase may be.

Offline yui

« Reply #2434 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 04:52:05 »
can vouch for discord being crap on linux - in my experience it has managed to open but it has crashed incredibly frequently (to the point where it was unusable). hopefully they can sort this at some point, however small the linux userbase may be.
apart from the updates not going through the package manager i had no problem with it on Debian, although i ended up making a small script that grabs latest canary version and it never crashes, sometimes steam does when i run low on ram but never Discord

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2435 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:05:10 »
apart from the updates not going through the package manager i had no problem with it on Debian, although i ended up making a small script that grabs latest canary version and it never crashes, sometimes steam does when i run low on ram but never Discord

what desktop environment were you using - i think i remember debian having multiple choices during installation. maybe that has something to do with the crashing?

Offline blondie

« Reply #2436 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 18:27:17 »
I use Arch.

My first distro was RedHat, before they had an Enterprise version in the late '90s. After getting hacked because I just installed every single package, and WU-FTP I think it was had a major vulnerability, I switched to Linux From Scratch. Talk about distro whiplash. After a few long, educational, tedious installs, I found Gentoo. It's like LFS, but with scripts to do all of the compiles for you.

After several long, less educational, and less tedious installs of Gentoo, I found Arch. It's like Gentoo, but with most of the packages already compiled for you.

I don't know if these statements are accurate, but that's how I've viewed the distros I have used so far.

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #2437 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 04:00:10 »
I'm using Linux Mint, and I love it. Very easy to use and maintain, works fine pretty much out of the box.

I used debian for a while a decade or so ago, but then went back to windows. Don't really remember why, but I think it was about knowing all the apps I needed on windows and picking the devil that I new. (of course debian is not a devil at all, but it can appear to be until one has worked it out)

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #2438 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 22:30:12 »
using gentoo again. as I've gotten more experienced with system setup I've found myself liking it more; it lets me control things i want to be in specific ways, but with automation. it feels to me like how something like manjaro feels to someone who isn't as much of a cranky tryhard nerd.
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline yui

« Reply #2439 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 01:12:00 »

what desktop environment were you using - i think i remember debian having multiple choices during installation. maybe that has something to do with the crashing?
i use KDE on all PC capable of running it (more than 2GB of ram and at maximum a 15 years old dual core, anything older will struggle and so goes to IceWM) and yeah Debian let you choose between Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, LXQT and KDE if i remember right from the installs i see it is more common to use gnome or xfce. pretty much all major distros will give you the choice either at install (Debian, Suse) or before (Ubuntu)

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2440 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 02:38:58 »

i use KDE on all PC capable of running it (more than 2GB of ram and at maximum a 15 years old dual core, anything older will struggle and so goes to IceWM) and yeah Debian let you choose between Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, LXQT and KDE if i remember right from the installs i see it is more common to use gnome or xfce. pretty much all major distros will give you the choice either at install (Debian, Suse) or before (Ubuntu)

huh. when i tried running discord on my kubuntu machine (ubuntu but with KDE) it would continuously crash. maybe i'll try again. did you say you were using canary?

Offline yui

« Reply #2441 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 02:53:30 »
huh. when i tried running discord on my kubuntu machine (ubuntu but with KDE) it would continuously crash. maybe i'll try again. did you say you were using canary?
yeah when i made the script i did not really pay close attention to what .deb i was getting and so got the "wrong" one in my copy paste, but then it may be part of the reason, or that Ubuntu is a bit more like OpenSuse and that chromium based apps tend to crash on it? (steam and discord both are chromium based, and both get the same series of crash when i start them on OpenSuse, steam deals with them better, and actually start, discord just completely fails)

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2442 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 04:06:41 »
yeah when i made the script i did not really pay close attention to what .deb i was getting and so got the "wrong" one in my copy paste, but then it may be part of the reason, or that Ubuntu is a bit more like OpenSuse and that chromium based apps tend to crash on it? (steam and discord both are chromium based, and both get the same series of crash when i start them on OpenSuse, steam deals with them better, and actually start, discord just completely fails)

yeah that could be a good idea - i'll launch up a VM when i get home and test it out using a different distro other than anything based upon Ubuntu or openSuse

Offline yui

« Reply #2443 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 04:28:48 »
if you launch it from a console (emulator, not the actual TTY) it will give you a trace of the crashes in the console, could help you finding what fails, it could be a simple library incompatibility, on Suse it fails at even displaying its splashscreen window, just gives a white rectangle and crashes, from the sound of it it goes a lot further on Ubuntu, so maybe quite different failure modes, especially if steam works properly.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2444 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 06:31:26 »
Discord is a horrible metric to judge, it's known to be terribly problematic.
Your problem there is with Discord, not Linux or Ubuntu.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #2445 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 08:20:55 »
what we are trying to achieve is to try to understand what make it work on some distros and not others, it never was advertised as working on debian but seems to work better there than on ubuntu. i think we both know that the main problem is that discord is calling something wrong or something, but what is the interesting part.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2446 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 08:31:22 »

i'm not saying that discord isn't absolute crap on linux - what i am saying is that there must be a reason for why discord is crashing, and why it seems to be working fine on a different machine using a different distro.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2447 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 19:31:00 »
Not every distro follows the exact same naming scheme and tree, it's gotten better, but there are still some differences. Another issue could be in the repositories, some are further behind than others.

Mint 18 - VLC 2.2.2 - Firefox 88.0
Mint 20 - VLC 3.0.12 - Firefox 88.0
Kubuntu - VLC 3.0.12 - Friefox 88.0+build2
Arch - VLC 3.0.12-5 - Firefox 88.0-1

And it only gets worse when you look at dependencies, naming conventions vary greatly and some have even changed names entirely, for example a recent change was many switching to a "lib" at the start rather than at the end or adding it where it was missing before. While a name change may break dependencies it may not, depending what called for that dependency, and while X may be compatible with y 2.0, that doesn't mean it works properly when combined with z 1.3 compared to how it works with z 1.2 or the other way around.

You may want to try the appimage before changing distros.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2021, 19:37:08 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2448 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 19:59:20 »

Mint 18 - VLC 2.2.2
Mint 20 - VLC 3.0.12

Just out of curiosity and laziness, I have both my desktop and laptop set to dual-boot into Windows and Mint Cinnamon, but generally use Windows.

In your opinion, which recent release of Mint is most superior for the casual user? I keep my Linux directories lean and clean, and could upgrade with minimum drama (aka trauma).
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2449 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 03:44:28 »
Not every distro follows the exact same naming scheme and tree, it's gotten better, but there are still some differences. Another issue could be in the repositories, some are further behind than others.

Mint 18 - VLC 2.2.2 - Firefox 88.0
Mint 20 - VLC 3.0.12 - Firefox 88.0
Kubuntu - VLC 3.0.12 - Friefox 88.0+build2
Arch - VLC 3.0.12-5 - Firefox 88.0-1

And it only gets worse when you look at dependencies, naming conventions vary greatly and some have even changed names entirely, for example a recent change was many switching to a "lib" at the start rather than at the end or adding it where it was missing before. While a name change may break dependencies it may not, depending what called for that dependency, and while X may be compatible with y 2.0, that doesn't mean it works properly when combined with z 1.3 compared to how it works with z 1.2 or the other way around.

You may want to try the appimage before changing distros.

i understand what you're saying there, and it is definitely worth a try, however, why would it be crashing at random points in time if it is a problem with dependencies. it loads up perfectly fine, and sometimes will work for a decent period of time (very rarely), but it almost always crashes at some point, even when i have not given any user input to change anything. is discord trying to do something in the background? if it is, why does it sometimes work for a good amount of time, and sometimes not ¯\_(ツ)_/