Author Topic: How can I design, manufacture, sell etc. My very own keycap set?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline Karmablade

• coming soon
How can I design, manufacture, sell etc. My very own keycap set?
« on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 14:26:30 »
IŽd like to know all the steps in making my own keycap set, such as manufacturing, designing, rendering, marketing etc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2022, 14:28:32 by Karmablade »
this is a signature

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: How can I design, manufacture, sell etc. My very own keycap set?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 16:41:58 »
I've asked and gotten linked plenty of guides and **** but I still can't really make heads or tails of it.
Couple things you want to know before even going into this
-It's ****ing expensive
 Color rings cost an arm and a leg, pantone books are expensive even used, and if you're looking to get them actually produced that's gonna need capital.
-There's a good program called Keyboard render kit (2) that you can use
This program works in blender (a free, easy to use 3d modelling program) and can help you get a visual representation of what you're looking for. (Keyboard render Kit costs money tho)
-This is going to take a ****ton of time
self explanatory
There's plenty of people who can help you better than I can, but I can tell you as someone who's also on the outside that it's a grueling process.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Karmablade

• coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 19:36:05 »
I've asked and gotten linked plenty of guides and **** but I still can't really make heads or tails of it.
Couple things you want to know before even going into this
-It's ****ing expensive
 Color rings cost an arm and a leg, pantone books are expensive even used, and if you're looking to get them actually produced that's gonna need capital.
-There's a good program called Keyboard render kit (2) that you can use
This program works in blender (a free, easy to use 3d modelling program) and can help you get a visual representation of what you're looking for. (Keyboard render Kit costs money tho)
-This is going to take a ****ton of time
self explanatory
There's plenty of people who can help you better than I can, but I can tell you as someone who's also on the outside that it's a grueling process.

I can tell it`s going to be a hard journey when I don`t recognize even a fraction of the terms you are using, besides that, thx a million for your contribution.
this is a signature

Offline Slywanin

• Abdul Lutfi is my name.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 12:01:23 »
Yes. Easy of you have a strong engineering background!
Big No if you are starting from zero.