Author Topic: [Help] Keyboard recommandation for confused newbie [$200-450]  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Whitcomb

[Help] Keyboard recommandation for confused newbie [$200-450]
« on: Tue, 17 January 2023, 19:48:15 »
Hello everyone,
after doing a fair bit of research myself, i am even more confused than i was before and hope you guys can help me.

I'm currently using a Ducky Shine 5 with MX Red's and am looking for the next upgrade step on my journey down to the rabbit hole.
Originally i hadn't planed to look for a new board, but after getting a nice base set of GMK's as a gift, i thought it would be a good time to look for an upgrade.
What i need is a TKL/75% Layout (ISO or ANSI, a hot-swappable PCB and a metal casing.
More than anything, build quality is most important to me but it has to be noticeable.

My budget will be based on what you guys recommend me.
But in general i can phrase it like this:
Am I willing to spend more than $200 ? Absolutely.
Am I also willing to spend more than 450 ? Probably not, unless you give me a damn good reason.

I already talked to other enthusiasts about it and got a different answer every time.
This wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't all contradict each other.
One person said that Keychron's Q-Series would be the absolute best for my money and that it wouldn't be worth to spent more, since more expensive boards don't offer a better quality.
Another told me to avoid Keychron and just buy a Mode Sonnet, as it would offer more for the money.
A third person said i should avoid both since according to him, both companies quality assurance has been lacking in recent times and because of that i should go for a Meletrix and Qwertykeys.
Person Nr. 4 told me to take none of those, since it would make much more sense to just buy a Geonworks, Rama or even better a Keycult.
With this, according to him, i would also avoid of owning multiple boards in the end because i would directly join the Endgame-Tier.
And so on.

Like i already said, i feel even more confused by now and also a bit frustrated.
That's why i really hope you guys can help a little newbie like me and show him the light down to the path of the rabbit hole.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [Help] Keyboard recommandation for confused newbie [$200-450]
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 January 2023, 22:03:11 »
Your price range is a black hole of sorts, too high for plastic, too low for most customs by the time you get switches, shipping, lubes etc.
Worse, many of the suggestions given to you are way, way out of your price range (Keycult in particular).

If you're really price conscious then chances are this is going to be used (not a shelf queen), in other words it won't be "perfect" for long, so why focus so much on ultra quality, focus on what's important. I get you want "the best" but the difference between something like a GMMK Pro and a Keycult is actually minimal under actual use, you're paying for rarity and a bit better fit and finish. I'm not saying they aren't nice, just that there's very much a point of diminishing returns once you pass a certain point. Don't over complicate it, keyboards are simple and unless there's something wrong with your layout or switch choice odds are it will work and you're going to like it and at some point you'll get bored and replace it. Don't let someone else dictate what you should or should not like be it price, layout, whatever. Set a price, pick a layout, find what fits your budget and enjoy. 

The rabbit hole is endless but only if you allow it.
Much of this hobby is highly subjective and while many of us have strong opinions, they're mostly just that, opinions. You're the one who has to use it. 

And remember, there is no end-game keyboard other than old vintage boards, it's just a way for people to justify over spending, give them a few years and they're looking for something new just as you will be. The market changes, innovations happen, people get bored. Don't buy a board thinking it will be your last.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion