Author Topic: Modding Realforce with MX sliders  (Read 3122 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Modding Realforce with MX sliders
« on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 17:51:03 »
I wanted to ask you guys whoever did mod his Realforce with any type of MX sliders.
How do you find it? Do you like the mod? What exactly did you do and is there anything that you would like to change after the mod?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline PlayBox

Re: Modding Realforce with MX sliders
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 15:17:35 »
I wanted to ask you guys whoever did mod his Realforce with any type of MX sliders.
How do you find it? Do you like the mod? What exactly did you do and is there anything that you would like to change after the mod?

im not into topre but if mx slkders for topre exist then its propably possible also if you are into spending a lot of money novatouch tkl and realforce rgb exist but i doubt they are worth it now
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 10:28:06 »
If you get the RGB version of the Realforce, it has MX compatible sliders built in. No need to mod it.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 11:41:58 »
The RGB is the way to go if you want MX keycaps on a Topre board. Older Realforce keyboards didn't have a standard bottom row, but the RGB does, along with all other R2 models.  The last I checked, it was difficult to make the space bar compatible with an MX type using aftermarket sliders.   The RGB has no issues with that, either. The RGB is also typically the cheapest way to get a uniform 45g Topre, and they sell for less on eBay than other models because of a misconception that they're someone worse than other Realforce keyboards. I've owned both, and it's just not true. 

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 12:55:03 »
The RGB is the way to go if you want MX keycaps on a Topre board. Older Realforce keyboards didn't have a standard bottom row, but the RGB does, along with all other R2 models.  The last I checked, it was difficult to make the space bar compatible with an MX type using aftermarket sliders.   The RGB has no issues with that, either. The RGB is also typically the cheapest way to get a uniform 45g Topre, and they sell for less on eBay than other models because of a misconception that they're someone worse than other Realforce keyboards. I've owned both, and it's just not true.

For the last 8 years I've been modding topre keyboards, so even 6u spacebar isn't really a problem :)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93802.msg2554714#msg2554714

But easiest way is to do R2 keyboards nowadays.

I was wondering, did anyone lubed pcb in Realforce? I heard its good to fix springs issues, lubing pcb, not actual springs (using 205g0, cause dia-elec will kill domes).
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::