Author Topic: Mt3 vs MG keycaps profile - the quest for the deepest scoop  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Praetor

Mt3 vs MG keycaps profile - the quest for the deepest scoop
« on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 05:00:38 »
After sound modding my Keychron Q2, I decided that it is time for me to change its original keycaps too.

I did quite of a research trying to find which keycap profile has the deepest scoop, but I can't a definite conclusion. Is Mt3 or MG the keycaps with the deepest scoop? To be honest, I gravitate towards MG because of their looks, but I type for a living, so I would like to get the keys that best suit my needs, rather than those that look better on my keyboard.

Does anyone have experience with these two profiles? What's your verdict?

Online HungerMechanic

Re: Mt3 vs MG keycaps profile - the quest for the deepest scoop
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 12:01:34 »
I will have to go compare them side-by-side again [I have them on the same desk], but both have deep scoops.

MG is very typable, and I prefer it to MT3 except for sound. MG has a very good sculpt and scooping, similar to AF SA.

You might also want to look into CX SA and KAT HSA.

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 12:09:13 »
OK, I checked and it feels as though MT3 has a deeper scoop than MG.

At least, if we are talking PBT MT3, which is pretty well-made.

Here are two AF SA [shorter MG] keycaps on an MT3 board:

The PBT MT3 might be scooped a little deeper than anything you see in that image, though.

PBT MT3 has a deeper sound than MG, which is more higher-pitched and thin-sounding. However, I think that MG is sculpted better for typing. The dramatic scoop angles in MT3 are more likely to prevent the free movement of your fingers to the next row than occurs with MG.

Offline Praetor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 16:11:51 »
Thank you for your help.

So, you would say that the scoop depth difference in negligible between the two?

I read somewhere that MG imitates the Topre profile, so I suppose is better suited for long typing sessions.

Out of curiosity, on the picture you posted which keycap is which?

Offline Praetor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 16:24:05 »
An additional question:

Which keycap profile has the deepest scoop and the more pronounced "border" on its crown. What I am looking for is for something that will feel like I am "dipping" my finger in the keycap when typing. Being  clindrical or spherical will be a big plus.

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 16:35:08 »
MT3 definitely has the more pronounced "border." If we're talking PBT MT3.

MT3 is spherical, I'm not sure about MG.

Offline Praetor

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 16:38:06 »
But you still recommend MG as better in general for typing, right?

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 19:07:00 »

That would have to be determined by YOUR fingers.  Classic SA is best for MY fingers.  Apparently yours prefer something completely different.  You don't know until you try it.

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 21:06:40 »

On threads where people discuss high-pro keycaps, there's a majority in favour of MG and AF SA, I think.

But it's very subjective.

Personally, I think that MG is designed for faster transfer between rows than MT3 is. MT3 luxuriates in the individual scoops, to its detriment.

PBT MT3 actually is scooped noticeably more than MG is, precisely because of the exaggerated scoop 'walls' that form cliffs in the keyboard rows. It makes sense for individual keycaps, but I think it provides a worse integrated experience than MG.

You can also see from the image provided earlier that MG / AF SA legends face you more directly than several MT3 rows. I think that makes MG more ergonomic.

I don't know if MG is based upon Topre, but it makes sense. Topre high-pro is often well regarded among MX users. Most people say that MG is SA with a more modern sculpt. I don't know if MG is more individually satisfying to type upon [that may fall with MT3], but it's much easier for me to transition between Cherry and MG than with MT3.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 October 2023, 21:48:51 »
But it's very subjective.

Yeah it definitely is, the only way to know for sure is to try it in person, maybe see if a meetup in athens has MT3 keycaps. MG does seem more obscure so Maybe you would have to purchase a set, worse case you sell it for a big loss if you don't like it. But if you are used to cherry/oem you should probably try something smaller height like hsa. I personally think something like sa is way to tall, so if you are going from one end to the other, you may not like it.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 October 2023, 05:51:25 »
Best way is to try in person.
For me MT3 was the hardest to type on compared to SA for example, however was great anyway.
I had few MT3 sets but sold them all. Scoops were deaper than SA, felt a bit weird first time trying.
I recently bought HSA and its fantastic substitute to SA.

I would suggest trying HSA (by JTK) - they feel and sound really amazing.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::