Author Topic: So who will it be?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
So who will it be?
« on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 02:12:09 »
Which one of us is going to buy a Strongman keyboard with genuine Strongman switches first? Who will be the first to feel that "Japan Alps keyswitch" goodness?

Re: So who will it be?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 02:24:42 »
Quote from: xsphat
Which one of us is going to buy a Strongman keyboard with genuine Strongman switches first? Who will be the first to feel that "Japan Alps keyswitch" goodness?

I thought elmomax has already cleared that trap for us?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
So who will it be?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 02:30:35 »
Really? I though she got white Alps and didn't like them.

So who will it be?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 03:03:09 »

No, strongman. http://geekhack.org/viewtopic.php?p=1521#1521

Offline mr_sf_applet

So who will it be?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 December 2007, 03:04:25 »

Nyah, she got white Strongmans and didn't like them. But since I got the same white Strongmans and could compare them directly with the white Alps on my  previous SMK-85, I knew that not liking the white Strongmans was the same as not liking the white Alps. I no longer have white Strongman  swtiches. The SMK-85's they were in have since been returned to DSI.

Edit: Damn, Whiskey edged me out again. Or as they say on the WELL: slippage.

Offline elmomax

So who will it be?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 16:18:49 »
I have been gone awhile travelling on business and missed the beginning of the thread on this.  I did keep one hideous silver DSI SMK-85 since I had taken it out of the box and used it.  It is really offensive to look at.  I also returned the second SMK 85 keyboard that I bought as mr sf applet did.  I am growing accustomed to these strongman switches... not great, but better than membrane slop.   They are just too soft to the touch and dainty... the click is ok, not as satisfying as the black ALPS --

What keyboard is this discussion in reference to?

Offline fkeidjn

So who will it be?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 17:29:22 »
About the Strongmans, when you type, do you hear resonating sounds within the keyboard when typing?
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline elmomax

So who will it be?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 18:05:50 »
Yes, with the strongmans on the keyboard from Ebay/DSI (SGM 85 ich sliver case with beige keys)  you hear a click when you type, but is a soft clicky click sound of the switches, and then depending on how hard you strik you will hear the downstroke as you bottom out the key.  Not the most satisfying sound for me or the most satisfying feel - simply adequate. I keep slamming the keys to get a better sound.

e

Offline elmomax

So who will it be?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 December 2007, 18:07:18 »
woops... it is SMK 85 ... I have brain fog from travelling. >LOL