Author Topic: [IC] A Brand new custom 60% layout PCB by GON  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Moralless

[IC] A Brand new custom 60% layout PCB by GON
« on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 02:48:32 »
New custom 60% keyboard PCB by GON

Hello everyone! I have some very exciting news! Upon publishing my build log for my latest custom keyboard (which you can look at HERE) I have gotten a lot of feedback about how much people liked the layout of my keyboard. Due to this positive reaction, GON has offered to design a PCB similar to the custom keyboard I made(I have made some revisions that have improved it).  A direct link to the layout can be found here.

Why would I want a layout like this?
From personal experience I have always found the placement of the Fn key awkward on 60% keyboards, having to use my pinky or ring finger and then tilting my hand at an angle to be able to complete actions like alt + f4, if you feel this way, then you should definitely consider getting this PCB. Also if you're an avid gamer (e.g. MMOs), by splitting up the spacebar and then placing the Fn button in between, it allows you to have access to more keys while making it smaller then a TKL as it essentially adds another modifier with no loss of functionality or comfort. Overall, by placing the Fn button in reach of your thumbs, creating a more ergonomic typing experience as it allows you to complete Fn commands without having to move your fingers off the home row if you're a touch typist.

Key Features of the PCB:
Onto some specifics. Since GON will be the one designing/manufacturing the PCBs and plates for this (he will ensure that the PCBs and plates fit current 60% cases) the MOQ for this would be 50(I already plan on getting 4). For a MOQ of 50, the cost of a PCB would be $55 each with controller soldering/firmware flashing included but diodes and resistors would be soldered separately(for an additional optional fee).

- Uses the NerD GUI - meaning you can map the keys wherever you want using GON's simple GUI, the mockups I've shown are just example of what you can do. GUI Manual: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/manuals/110-nerdy-gui.html
- Multimedia Keys Supported
- 1000Hz(1ms) Polling Rate
- Supports Full backlighting and Side lighting (with 35-40 side LEDs)
- Editable Key Maps
- Hardware MACRO
- One Macro can include 1~2000 Key Inputs. User can save 2000 inputs at "one" key, or smaller chunks of inputs at "70" keys.
(User can save 1 ~ 70 Macros)
- Adjustable delay for key delivery during macro recall
- Green colored (other colors would cost more, green is currently the cheapest option)
- Multiple layout support: Backspace / Left Shift / Right Shift / ISO/ANSI Enter
- Optional Bluetooth for another $55 which includes soldering, module, battery and charging circuit.
- GON also plans to use this plate but modifying it to be able to fit our layout version which would still cost the same.

ETA: Since GON has to design the PCB and modify the plate to fit this, I currently do not know how long it would take him to get these shipped out and in our hands.
Layout:
Below are two images V1 which is what my custom keyboard's layout is currently using and V2 which is a more refined version that I've been working on which seeks to improve on the original layout:
V1:
                              79122-0
V2:
                              79124-1

Please note that the PCB won't support V1 only V2
The changes:
- I have decided to go the HHKB route and switch the position of the backspace and backslash keys (which I then made 1u) which allows me to add another 1u key labelled as Fn2.
- I've changed the Fn1 button from being 1.25u to 1u as it allowed the two spacebars to move towards the centre more, as I have noticed that people* who use their left thumb for spacebar generally press it under the 'V' key and people who use their right thumb for space bar generally place it in the midway point of 'N' and 'M'. This allows typing to feel the same as with a normal 6.25u spacebar as I have essentially just taken out the non used parts for the majority of people.
- Another change is that I made the two spacebars 2u instead of 2.75u. A few reasons for this, similar to a 6.25u space I found that I was not really utilizing the size of a 2.75u key so much of the size is wasted and more importantly it's also A LOT easier to find blank keys for 2u keycaps then 2.75u.

*When I mean people, I mean the small sample size of friends/family doing a typing test while I watch them and youtube videos of people doing typing tests.

Please fill out this interest form
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 05:49:41 by moralles »

Offline kirkvomit

Re: [IC] A Brand new custom 60% layout PCB by GON
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:58:46 »
I would prefer to have a small space bar and two FN buttons on each side of the space bar - like it is on Filco Minila.

Currently I have FN button mapped on Caps Lock and:
FN + a  = alt
FN + s  = shift
FN + d  = win
FN + space  = ctrl
FN + q  = alt + f4
FN + w  = ctrl + w
FN + e  = minimize
FN + r  = f5
FN + j, i, k, m = arrow bottons

Offline kirkvomit

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 15:19:26 »
Also I think that it will be cool to have layout like this:
79144-0

where on the left, shift is swapped with the button that should be before Z in ISO layout.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:31:13 »
(Attachment Link)

where on the left, shift is swapped with the button that should be before Z in ISO layout.

This is too similar to what's readily available, in my opinion.  I'm a fan of what moralles is proposing because it's actually a bit more different than everything else we've got, at the moment.  To me, the main draw of this is the layout of that bottom row.  Being a huge proponent of splitting up the spacebar, I'd probably be in for at least one PCB. 

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:33:41 »
(Attachment Link)

This looks like a very flexible layout.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Moralless

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:01:40 »
I would prefer to have a small space bar and two FN buttons on each side of the space bar - like it is on Filco Minila.

Currently I have FN button mapped on Caps Lock and:
FN + a  = alt
FN + s  = shift
FN + d  = win
FN + space  = ctrl
FN + q  = alt + f4
FN + w  = ctrl + w
FN + e  = minimize
FN + r  = f5
FN + j, i, k, m = arrow bottons

The problem with this layout is an unorthodox spacebar size which greatly reduces the customisability of the board as it will be a PITA to replace if you find a keyset you'd like to use. For my layout, customisability was greatly considered as that is one of the main reasons people make their own keyboards. Blank 2u keys are easy to find for sets, for example there was a child deal for 2u blanks in the recent PuLSE GB and even though there isn't one for the green tea if you look at SP's overstock list you can find a 2u blank for it in the right profile.

(Attachment Link)

This is too similar to what's readily available, in my opinion.  I'm a fan of what moralles is proposing because it's actually a bit more different than everything else we've got, at the moment.  To me, the main draw of this is the layout of that bottom row.  Being a huge proponent of splitting up the spacebar, I'd probably be in for at least one PCB.

Agreed, what I'm trying to offer with GON is a layout that sets to attempt on improving the 60% form factor and the split spacebar is one of the main selling points! The fact that it's made by GON is just the icing on the cake as it means that the PCB will have in switch and side led supports, an intuitive key mapping/macro program and the new optional Bluetooth capabilities that his other boards have.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:09:16 »
Agreed, what I'm trying to offer with GON is a layout that sets to attempt on improving the 60% form factor and the split spacebar is one of the main selling points! The fact that it's made by GON is just the icing on the cake as it means that the PCB will have in switch and side led supports, an intuitive key mapping/macro program and the new optional Bluetooth capabilities that his other boards have.

That was actually my next question.  Desire for this intensifies.

Offline EkL

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:51:35 »
- Multiple layout support: Backspace / Left Shift / Right Shift / ISO/ANSI Enter

I'm assuming this means the PCB will support split right and left shifts? Already submitted my interest for 2 boards, but split shifts would be icing on the cake for me!

Offline Moralless

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 00:36:36 »

I'm assuming this means the PCB will support split right and left shifts? Already submitted my interest for 2 boards, but split shifts would be icing on the cake for me!

Yes that's exactly what it means  :thumb:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 02:36:34 »
Interested

Offline DWawa

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 05:48:11 »
The bithumbal function key is a natural. Are you the first to do this?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 06:04:59 »

I have no idea what you mean by bithumbal, but if you're talking about the placement of the Fn key between the spacebars, then no I'm not the first person to have done that (but I was unaware of the other designs when making this layout) there are similar designs such as this and this one but there are currently no PCBs that would support a layout like the one in the OP and with the features that it has.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 06:24:01 »
There is a project for a PCB is the HyperMicro http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hypermicro-development-t8490.html but it has yet to happen. Knowing 7bit it will take a while  :p
L.E.:sorry this is for the 40% the HiperMini or qHack is the 60% variant but it will take some time. Your design has all the chances to become a reality, I find it quite interesting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 06:27:02 by DanielT »
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline DWawa

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:24:23 »

I have no idea what you mean by bithumbal, but if you're talking about the placement of the Fn key between the spacebars, then no I'm not the first person to have done that (but I was unaware of the other designs when making this layout) there are similar designs such as this and this one but there are currently no PCBs that would support a layout like the one in the OP and with the features that it has.

Bithumbal--using either thumb. Perfectly cromulent word.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:52:19 »
There is a project for a PCB is the HyperMicro http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hypermicro-development-t8490.html but it has yet to happen. Knowing 7bit it will take a while  :p
L.E.:sorry this is for the 40% the HiperMini or qHack is the 60% variant but it will take some time. Your design has all the chances to become a reality, I find it quite interesting.

That's a pretty neat community project, luckily for this IC the design and manufacturing process of this PCB if it ever comes into fruition will be handled by GON which means that the quality of the PCB will be top notch.

Bithumbal--using either thumb. Perfectly cromulent word.

That's what I sort of thought, just wasn't completely sure  :p

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 10:56:40 »
I'm sure that this IC will come to life sooner than the ones I mentioned :D
And the quality, well I'm the proud owner of the Black NerD60 and that is one amazing PCB, the quality is outstanding, so there not doubt here.
I'm a "pinky" Fn fan, and am very pleased with that, but know a lot of people who were looking after your design in a 60% this will make them very happy.
I wish you good luck with this project, maybe I will grab one myself ;)
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 11:27:00 »
Greetings!

Is your bottom row 1.5 - 1.5 - 2.0 - 1.0 - 2.0 - 1.5 - 1.5 ?

I might try to support that on the GH-122/153 as it seems like a useful adaptation regardless of size.

Also, are there actual keyboard scan codes for Space_L and Space_R ?  I had not heard of those before, but I can see the appeal.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline desal

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:06:43 »
Tempting...

I see why you've gone with the 2x space keys on the bottom row for keycap reuse, but most sets are still only going to have one spare 2x key from the numpad . Another option would be to shrink the the shifts to 1.25x and either put a key, or just leave empty space on the sides of them (how often do you really push the right half of the right shift key), then use the 2 shifts for the space. This way even most 60% sets would have all the keys you need. I think it'd look kind of neat too.

2nd row would be [1x gap] [1.25x] [1x]*10 [1.25x] [1.5x gap]
bottom row would be [2x gap] [1.25x] [1.25x] [2.25x] [2.75x] [1.25x] [1.25x] [3x gap]

Offline Moralless

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:02:48 »
I'm sure that this IC will come to life sooner than the ones I mentioned :D
And the quality, well I'm the proud owner of the Black NerD60 and that is one amazing PCB, the quality is outstanding, so there not doubt here.
I'm a "pinky" Fn fan, and am very pleased with that, but know a lot of people who were looking after your design in a 60% this will make them very happy.
I wish you good luck with this project, maybe I will grab one myself ;)

I don't know how you do it :p

Greetings!

Is your bottom row 1.5 - 1.5 - 2.0 - 1.0 - 2.0 - 1.5 - 1.5 ?

I might try to support that on the GH-122/153 as it seems like a useful adaptation regardless of size.

Also, are there actual keyboard scan codes for Space_L and Space_R ?  I had not heard of those before, but I can see the appeal.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

The bottom row is 1.25 -1.25 -2.0 - 1.0 - 2.0 - 1.25 - 1.25. The reason for 1.25u mods instead of 1.5 is because I wanted to make finding a keyset for this layout as simple as possible and having 1.5 mods would mean you'd need to get a tsangan kit aswell.

Tempting...

I see why you've gone with the 2x space keys on the bottom row for keycap reuse, but most sets are still only going to have one spare 2x key from the numpad . Another option would be to shrink the the shifts to 1.25x and either put a key, or just leave empty space on the sides of them (how often do you really push the right half of the right shift key), then use the 2 shifts for the space. This way even most 60% sets would have all the keys you need. I think it'd look kind of neat too.

2nd row would be [1x gap] [1.25x] [1x]*10 [1.25x] [1.5x gap]
bottom row would be [2x gap] [1.25x] [1.25x] [2.25x] [2.75x] [1.25x] [1.25x] [3x gap]

There have been a few groupbuys with child deals that sell 2u blanks, even they if they don't (I'm only talking SP specific groupbuys since they seem to be the most common) there is an abundance of different 2u blanks in all of their profiles that you can get in their overstock list. Also I don't think shift buttons that small would be popular - just look at the criticisms for the KBT Pure Pro and that has a 1u shift key and there is actually a lot of variance on how people press the shift keys so thee smaller shift key sizes (<1.75u) would deter some people off. I'm also curious on why you decided to take out the Fn key on your proposed layout, it would basically be like a HHKB with a split 5u spacebar.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:03:24 »
Very cool, I'm interested.

Using a 7x spacebar all these years seems like a waste of real estate.