Author Topic: Friday Date Tips - Don't Wear This  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Nonmouse

Friday Date Tips - Don't Wear This
« on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 23:38:45 »

Why does this warning creep me right the **** out?

Allowing Undateable Home access will let it pull your profile information, photos, your friends' info, and other content that it requires to work.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 00:38:30 »
You can't honestly say you've never noticed that same warning for EVERY OTHER facebook page/app/whatever before?

It's standard procedure. They warn you because third party developers are behind the content you're trying to work with.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 12:14:25 »
Quote from: kishy;165051
You can't honestly say you've never noticed that same warning for EVERY OTHER facebook page/app/whatever before?

It's standard procedure. They warn you because third party developers are behind the content you're trying to work with.

Actually, I can honestly say that I've never noticed that warning- I haven't used Facebook much and only just made an account very recently.  So EVERY OTHER page/app/whatever before this would come out to exactly zero.  

So very sorry to be a Facebook noob.  It's still a creepy warning.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 12:29:38 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;165149

Actually, I can honestly say that I've never noticed that warning- I haven't used Facebook much and only just made an account very recently.  So EVERY OTHER page/app/whatever before this would come out to exactly zero.  

So very sorry to be a Facebook noob.  It's still a creepy warning.

Lol oops, sorry then. Yeah, it's concerning.

I think they (FB) were forced into alerting users of that and asking for permission after some semi-recent very serious concerns about their privacy.

Last I checked, they reserved the right to use your content however they see fit at any time without notice to you...for example a photo of you in a banner ad somewhere. As for independent content developers, well, they'll do whatever they want. I think for the most part they don't even pull any info out, it just asks anyway.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 03:42:44 »
In my opinion, women who obsess with the design of my underwear (as long as it's clean and relatively whole) are undateable. Problem solved. I go for only the best girls: Geek girls.
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 10:04:04 »
Indeed. When it comes to girls, "high maintenance" should ideally mean that she demands to have at least as good a computer (and keyboard!) as your own!
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál