Author Topic: Example of Model M in fiction  (Read 1934 times)

Offline secularzarathustra

Example of Model M in fiction
« on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 07:19:19 »
In Robert J. Sawyer's Serialized novel Wake, part 3 of 4 appears in the January/February 2009 edition of Analog: Science Fiction and Fact, there is a mention of the Model M an page 103 that gave me a geeky thrill.

"He was typing on his keyboard; he had an ancient, heavy IBM one that clicked loudly."

I heard the clicking as I read, the characters daughter even had to "rap her knuckles on the door jamb" to be heard over the work.

Thought a few of you may get a kick out of this as well :)
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 16:58:35 »
Quote from: secularzarathustra;13065
In Robert J. Sawyer's Serialized novel Wake, part 3 of 4 appears in the January/February 2009 edition of Analog: Science Fiction and Fact, there is a mention of the Model M an page 103 that gave me a geeky thrill.

"He was typing on his keyboard; he had an ancient, heavy IBM one that clicked loudly."

I heard the clicking as I read, the characters daughter even had to "rap her knuckles on the door jamb" to be heard over the work.

Thought a few of you may get a kick out of this as well :)

pretty cool :)  Is this set in the future? If so, how many fictional years did that model M last?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 17:38:16 »
I don't know when it's set, but I love the idea that the Model M will still be in use twenty years from now.

Offline secularzarathustra

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 19:03:41 »
Well, Sawyer is more of a hard sci-fi writer. The story is set nominally in the future; though, I think our M's will work for many years to come, as long as the are not made to not work through compatibility issues with newer hardware.
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.