Author Topic: Nintendo DS owners?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Nintendo DS owners?
« on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 22:18:58 »
I purchased 3 Nintendo DS's for my kids today.  I was just wondering if any one here owns one and, if so, has any suggestions for good cooperative/head-to-head/etc games that they could play together.

They love the wifi chatting app.  I've read some cool things about DSorganize...but have not tried it yet.

Offline cmr

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 02:19:36 »
mario kart DS.

for homebrew stuff you'll need one of those flash cart things... i have an R4DS and it does what it says on the tin. i ordered from realhotstuff.com, but i don't know what the favored flash cart is these days.

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 04:33:43 »
R4s are still perfectly good, tho some of the '1337' piraters will tell you otherwise, as the R4 hasn't had any firmware updates in a while, so some recent games with advanced copy protection don't work. however, for homebrew it's fine and always will be.  and even for piracy, there are "cheats" and patches that will bypass this copy protection.

my favourite multiplayer game is tetris ds.  this game is amazingly addictive when played head to head, and it's awesome online as well.  however, this game is so hard to find these days that people resort to importing japanese versions (which are plentiful in japan), tho i suppose if you have an R4 or whatever that wouldn't be a problem for you.

Offline Mercen_505

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 06:47:32 »
I haven't played anything on my DS in a while. I've been waiting to finish some other console games before I move over to Order of Ecclesia, which I've been dying to try out. The only multiplayer stuff I've messed around with was MarioKart, Worms, and Call of Duty 4. Multiplayer on DS is freaking easy thanks to the simple wifi setup.

As a good game in general, I'd recommend MarioKart.

Offline iMav

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 07:31:59 »
We've got one copy of MarioKart.  I'll see about picking up a few more copies.  (heck, I might pick up another DS and join in the fun).

I'll look for Tetris as well.  I remember me and another guy had Nintendo GameBoy's (the original) and would play head-to-head tetris over a wired cable when I was over in the Middle East during the first Gulf War (USAF).  That was extremely addicting.  If I remember correctly, I had that game, Super MarioLand, and TMNT.  :)

Offline itlnstln

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 07:35:09 »
The TMNT series back then was fantastic.  I really enjoyed the first one that had the over-the-head POV on the NES.  The others after it were great as well.  Battletoads sucked.

Offline cmr

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:30:42 »
as i recall, you can do multiplayer mariokart with only one copy, but there are some limitations in character/vehicle selection.

Offline iMav

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 13:52:52 »
Quote from: cmr;18767
as i recall, you can do multiplayer mariokart with only one copy, but there are some limitations in character/vehicle selection.

Hmmm.  I'll have to check it out.

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 16:56:25 »
mario kart with one cartridge is crap. you get the slowest karts (50cc) and only 8 tracks (the simplest ones) and the people who don't have the game have no choice but to play as that weird thing from mario bros. 2 on the nes *forgets its name*

tetris, on the other hand, is perfectly fine with only one copy of the game :)

as for non-multiplayer stuff, you simply *have* to play the phoenix wright games.  (and the apollo justice sequal)  these lawyer sim/adventure games are some of the best entertainment i've ever got out of my ds.

Offline iMav

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 18:31:19 »
Yep.  MarioKart is limited, but doable.  Kids are having fun..If I get a DS for myself, I'll have to grab a few more copies.

Offline cchan

Nintendo DS owners?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 January 2009, 23:39:13 »
Quote from: FunkTrooper;18808
and the people who don't have the game have no choice but to play as that weird thing from mario bros. 2 on the nes *forgets its name*

Shy Guy.
God /me needs to refind her Mario Kart DS.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above