Author Topic: Any Rollermouse Users out there?  (Read 9602 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Any Rollermouse Users out there?
« on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 10:00:31 »
Thinking about getting one of these. I really would like something that minimizes finger movement and allows me to use my thumbs more for the mouse buttons. Could this be my ticket to mouse freedom?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline asdf

• Tuesday, 11 November 2008, 20:17:05
Re: Any Rollermouse Users out there?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 10:21:54 »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:27:21 »
I use RollerMouse Free 2 and have been using various RollerMouse units for several years. Over the last 3-4 years on GH, I've seen almost all people that use these units get completely spoiled. The few that don't care for it are usually doing CAD/Photoshop or other high precision work, or gamers.

I like RollerMouse, LARGE super-functional trackballs (Kensington Expert Mouse Pro, etc), touch/trackpads. I don't care for mice.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:17:45 »
I use RollerMouse Free 2 and have been using various RollerMouse units for several years. Over the last 3-4 years on GH, I've seen almost all people that use these units get completely spoiled. The few that don't care for it are usually doing CAD/Photoshop or other high precision work, or gamers.

I like RollerMouse, LARGE super-functional trackballs (Kensington Expert Mouse Pro, etc), touch/trackpads. I don't care for mice.

Yea, I am going down the path of not using mice anymore because my fingers are starting to hurt all the time.  Might even get away from trackpads because I have to move my fingers a lot in awkward positions.   I'm considering a trackball or rollermouse, leaning towards the rollermouse.

Input Nirvana, do you use thumb trackballs or finger trackballs?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:19:32 »
Mrinterface has a nice review. http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/review-rollermouse-free-2-t2976.html

Thanks for the link. I saw Mr. Interface did a review for the Mousetrapper as well.  Love his keyboard videos.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 17:53:24 »
Got a used rollermouse pro today.  Definitely the best mouse I have ever used. Might never go back to normal  mice after this.

Offline SilverRubicon

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 21:42:23 »
I may give one of these a shot.  Waiting to see what's new with the Rollermouse Re:d edition.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 11:27:10 »
I may give one of these a shot.  Waiting to see what's new with the Rollermouse Re:d edition.

If you are put off by the purchase price, they do have a liberal return policy and also could get one off Ebay and then just resell it on Ebay or here. They have great resale value.

Offline SilverRubicon

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 09:52:29 »
I should be put off by the purchase price but I'm not.  Just want to see what is new about the Re:d prior to a purchase.  I have a feeling it's just going to be nicer construction, but I could be wrong.

"It is fortified by an aluminum body and infused with the latest in mousing technology."

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 17:37:05 »
Holy crap, did not see that new Red. Thing looks like a tank.

Offline spm

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 05:40:58 »
I wonder is this somehow compatible with Kinesis Advantage? I found some old thread but picture attachments are now gone and I can't imagine that this could fit :)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 16:17:33 »
I wonder is this somehow compatible with Kinesis Advantage? I found some old thread but picture attachments are now gone and I can't imagine that this could fit :)

I've tried and failed. Might need to do a mod to make it work. Or but the rollermouse on a block of wood. the rollermouse can plug into the usb drives on the Kinesis, which is nice. it would require you hands to travel quite a bit to reach the Rollermouse, which sorta ruins one the advantages of the Kinesis.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 22:52:54 »
Prdlm2009:
The only 'non-conventional" thumb/finger trackball I use is on the Alphagrip thumb trackball, which is pretty awesome, hard to beat.

Spm:
I had pics of a couple mock-ups with Rollermouse and Kinesis Advantage, but the pics in the article have gotten borked. I have the pics but don't have time to re-do article for months. :(

Bottom-line: Rollermouse is the easiest mousing you're gonna do, other than something like Mousekeys or related key stroke mousing.

The MouseTrapper seems somewhat similar, but I have not used it...not many around and not many peeps have ever used it.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 05:32:31 »
I got a Rollermouse 2 from a friend as a trade a few months ago. It works really good! It did take me a while to get used to it though and I find myself often reaching for the mouse lol.

The cursor movement is really easy to control and while it adds a few inches between your keyboard and you, it eliminates the need for the mouse on the right (for a righty) so rather than desk space saving, it just rearranges the desk space.

Obviously, it's not that great to use with a laptop which I mostly use. So while this thing is in hibernation right now, I will put it into commission again as soon as I finish building my new desktop.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:20:40 »

I have seen them but not heard the name "Rollermouse"  I thought a rollermouse was another word for a trackball.  I do play games pretty well with a trackball, much better than I did with a regular mouse.  The rollermouse itself doesn't seem something that I would like.  I have a Logitech Marble Mouse which is an awesome device for gaming and ergonomics.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?