Author Topic: [IC] The Corne-ish Zen – IC#2 UPDATED Dec 31  (Read 19280 times)

Offline darryldh

• loprokb.ca
[IC] The Corne-ish Zen – IC#2 UPDATED Dec 31
« on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 12:00:21 »
Hello fellow Geeks and Geekettes,
Here for your consideration is my personal Covid lockdown project that I have been working on for around 8 months.

I call it the Corne-ish Zen.

It has been (obviously) inspired by @Foostan’s awesome Corne (CRKB) keyboard, but with a bunch of twists added to make it unique.

Project goals:

The goals of this project are to provide an affordable, but premium split keyboard, and to lower the barriers-of-entry by offering a fully assembled, and fully operational (minus switches and keycaps) keyboard.
No soldering, no firmware hacking (unless you want to) and no tools. Just add your favorite choc switches and keycaps, and start typing.

Features/Details:

I have spent a lot of time designing, re-designing (and even re-re-designing) this keyboard in an attempt to create something that has all the features I wanted, in a small, low package.
Here are some of the special things about this keyboard that might be of interest:

• Works exclusively with Kailh Choc v1 (pg1350) switches.
  • Choc key spacing. This is perfect for the awesome upcoming MBK Legend keycaps. (nice keyboard btw)
  • Pre-installed hotswap sockets FTW!
  • Fully assembled PCBs
  • Ships with ZMK firmware pre-installed
  • Externally  available power and reset switches
  • The PCBs feature snap-able pinky rows to allow 5x3 layouts for those who want that
  • Tiny upward facing status LED indicators for charging status and bootloader status
  • USB C port with ESD protection on data and power lines
  • Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 5.0 module with CE, FCC, and RoHS Certifications. This module uses the Nordic NRF52840 SOC which has a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4 CPU on board running at 64MHz
  • 1.05” E-paper screen on each half. The display driver and power components are built into the main PCB allowing a super thin case
  • 180mAh lithium polymer batteries built in. To use the largest possible battery, while keeping the case profile low, I cut a hole through the PCB to allow the battery to be sandwiched between the top and bottom plates, rather than between the PCB and either of the plates. Early estimates for battery life are around 3 weeks for the left hand, and about 3 months for the right… depending on usage
  • Speaking of charging, the keyboard has a built-in charger that that functions automatically when the USB cable is plugged in. The keyboard works over USB while the battery is charging
  • SW debug/programming pads are positioned on the top of the PCB to allow flashing and debugging if needed/desired
  • Dedicated battery management IC built in. This allow you to accurately monitory the status and performance of the batteries, and display that info on the e-ink screens
Please Note:

- This keyboard will NOT accept MX switches or keycaps. Low profile is a primary goal for this keyboard, and MX switches do not fit into that category.
- This case will NOT fit existing Corne/CRKBD/Heliodox keyboards. The key spacing and entire shape is different.

About Bluetooth Certifications:

The Bluetooth certifications are an important part of this package. By being fully certified, you can be assured that this keyboard will not negatively affect other devices around you, and that it stays within the Bluetooth frequencies it's designed for. It is a costly (and mandatory) process to have all Bluetooth devices certified, and by using a module that contains its own antenna, and is pre-certified from the manufacturer, we get the best of both worlds… a well designed antenna and no additional certifications required.

About ZMK:

Some may wonder why choose ZMK over other available firmwares? The fact is, ZMK has been built from the ground up as a “wireless first” firmware. It is very new, but has a lot of energy currently being put into its development. For a current list of features, and a comparison to other firmwares, please see this page: https://zmkfirmware.dev/docs/

To get involved with ZMK or to learn more, join us on their friendly ZMK Discord server

About battery life:

You may be wondering why there is a discrepancy between the battery life of the right and left halves. This is due to what each half does, functionality wise. In ZMK, the left half is referred to as the “Central” half, that is it is central between the host (your computer) and the right half of the keyboard. The Central half does all the communication to the host, and accepts all the keypresses from the right half and translates those to the host. The right half is referred to as the “peripheral” half. Its only function is to send its keypresses to the Central half. Because of these functionality differences, the Central half consumes more energy than the peripheral half, and hence uses up available battery capacity faster.

Case options:

To make the Corne-ish Zen more affordable, have decided to open source the case designs and offer the PCBs separately for purchase. This will allow folks to ether print their own cases, or have a local printer print a set for them. It will also allow people with the means, to design their own case for this PCB.

The premium case option will be in two pieces. The top will be anodized aluminum, CNC machined out of a solid billet of 6061 stock. The base will be custom injection molded smoke grey acrylic. The standard colors available for anodizing are black, red, silver, grey, gold and rose gold. The GB will likely consist of the two most popular colors from the IC, plus black. Custom colors are a possibility, for a small fee, but there would have to be enough support for the colors chosen.

Please note about 5x3 option: those who opt for 5x3 cases will not get the acrylic base. The molds are too costly to produce both styles. I will provide a 3d printed base, or you can opt to print one yourself.

Photos/Renders:

Colors are estimations, and will be determined by this IC

Pricing: (Estimated. May change slightly still)

• PCBs (pair): $125
    • Fully assembled with all components and hot swap sockets
    • PCB functionality tested
    • Firmware pre-loaded and tested
    • Includes battery and e-paper screen
  • Complete (6x3): $320
    • All of the above plus CNC aluminum case and acrylic base, preassembled
  • Complete (5x3): $280
    • Same as 6x3, but without the pinky row
    • Acrylic base will be substituted with a black PLA 3D printed base
Prices exclude shipping and any duty/taxes your respective governments decide to charge.

Current Status:

• [Nov 14] - Prototype PCBs are in hand and are currently being tested.
  • [Nov 21] - IC released
  • Case prototypes are ordered and will be manufactured shortly. GB will not happen until I have them in-hand and am happy with the quality/fit
  • Firmware development has started

Group Buy info:

The Group Buy will be limited to 100 units for this run. I am just one guy, and want to ensure success for everyone. The only way I can see pulling that off is by having a manageable number in the first run. If everything goes well, and if demand is there, I can do a second run relatively quickly.

As I mentioned earlier the GB will not happen until I am happy with the quality of production from the suppliers.

---------------------------

At any rate, please fill out my IC form here: INTEREST CHECK FORM

To get all the details, and ask me questions, join me on Discord to discuss in real time: LOW PROFILE KEYBOARDS DISCORD

Imgur photo gallery

Thanks for taking the time to read my IC, have a great day!

-Darryl

-------- UPDATE - DEC 22 --------

- Posted some photos of potential travel case options for the group buy:  https://imgur.com/gallery/2tKSDhz

- The prototype aluminum cases came in and are awesome. Check out the photos:  https://imgur.com/gallery/FwqacMd

- The colour choices from the IC form round out like this: #1 Black (125), #2 Grey (95), #3 Blue (55), #4 Silver (40), #5 Rose Gold (39), #6 Green (36), #7 Red (35), #8 Purple (30). There will likely be another IC form to select from this list. I have posted renders of the stock colours offered by the manufacturer here:  https://imgur.com/gallery/IwyEp2K

- Another PCB prototype will be ordered this week to test a couple of small, but important fit and functionality issues.

- Roughly estimate that the GB will be held in late January.

-------- UPDATE - DEC 31 --------

NEW IC FORM is live... check it out https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc1OsIzEMngLTNz_R_sPut_5ULyly8QDLN-HRy0zSLYzjKzng/viewform

« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2020, 08:42:11 by darryldh »

Offline Rossman360

• Montsinger
Re: [IC] The Corne-ish Zen – A low profile wireless split keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 12:10:04 »
great name  :))

Offline darryldh

• loprokb.ca
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 12:17:04 »
great name  :))

Ha! thanks. Who doesn't like a little play on words?

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 12:27:55 »
Cool concept. Although RGBKB already has a split keyboard called the Zen. Your name is a bit confusing on that account.

Offline aikilink

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 14:15:19 »
I can't say I'm set on getting a low-pro board, but this looks amazing! It'd probably be 5x3 for me, but I'm pretty sure the thing that would get me to jump in would be that green case being made. That color is  :thumb:

IC responded!

Offline tdubya

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 22:15:26 »
e-ink, ZMK, BLE, split ortho - this ticks a lot of "interesting/want to try out" boxes for me

how's the refresh rate on the e-ink display?

Offline darryldh

• loprokb.ca
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 22:29:45 »
e-ink, ZMK, BLE, split ortho - this ticks a lot of "interesting/want to try out" boxes for me

how's the refresh rate on the e-ink display?

It is quite a bit slower than oled, but it draws almost no power when not updating the screen. Tough to measure, but I would say it takes less than 2 seconds to refresh. I havent gotten deep into the graphics yet, the screen supports partial refresh, which means I can update part of the screen without having to refresh teh rest of it... in this situation the refresh is basically instantaneous.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:20:59 »
I showed it to a friend who is interested except for the lack of tenting or adjustable typing angle. I told him to just get taller bumpons but is there perhaps a more elegant solution?
e: are there like... stick-on adjustable tenting feet? Because I think that would work nicely.

I filled out the IC and I'm definitely in for this. I think it's a very neat idea and love the inclusion of so many interesting features.
Also I'm always down to support a ZMK project where I can.  Count me in.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:40:28 by paperassgasket »

Offline easy_rider

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 16:39:04 »
Yupp this looks like one awesome BT lopro corne, would buy.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 03:58:49 »
Would love to try this as my gaming board.  Interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Jaysus

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 08:23:29 »
Exactly what I am looking for, mainly bc of BT.
It looks amazing.

Offline gex

Re: [IC] The Corne-ish Zen – IC#2 UPDATED Dec 31
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 11:19:59 »
this is awesome, filled the ic form

Offline kikan

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 07:15:25 »
A bit late on the train since IC form is closed, but I am so in for this !!!! Hope I’ll win the raffle !!!

Such a great looking keyboard !

Offline Vizir

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 08:45:50 »
Missed the IC form. :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Fabian13

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:09:43 »
This is the keyboard of my dreams!! I would definitely be in.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:17:28 by Fabian13 »

Offline kikan

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 02:48:10 »
Then you’re in luck mate ! Go to https://lowprokb.ca/ and become part of the Gang ! Regarding colors some haven’t reached MOQ yet, but you might tip the scale ;-)

Join the Discord (link on the site above) and come chat with Darryl and the peeps who purchased one of the Corne-Ish-Zen.

You’d be in round 2 (which will last a couple of days) and it should be shipped around mid June iirc.

Have at it ! 😁

Offline Fabian13

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 03:46:04 »
 :thumb: I'm ecstatic, directly bought!

Offline kikan

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 03:55:10 »
Yay ! Welcome to the club ! just saw you posted on discord too ;-)