geekhack Community > Off Topic

Who was SmallFry

<< < (9/9)

Baby_Fry:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sat, 10 December 2016, 23:14:43 ---I was just messing around in my Steam profile and was looking through the friends list when Smallfry's name caught my eye. Completely out of nowhere I actually start to get choked up reminiscing. It's so weird how these kinds of events can come back to catch you so unexpectedly and drudge up memories.

--- End quote ---

Honestly, it was probably me. I tend to use Nathan's username on my gaming devices now and I hope to get more active here now. (I know this is a very late reply to your message.) For those of you who remember Nate, I'm his younger sister. My name is Emily, I'm 21 (22 on Saturday!) now, I am almost done with college, and I am hoping to custom build a keyboard for my boyfriend's new gaming computer. I hope to connect with y'all the same way my brother did. Nate was a really big inspiration for me and I miss him terribly.

Sifo:

--- Quote from: Baby_Fry on Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:24:29 ---
--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sat, 10 December 2016, 23:14:43 ---I was just messing around in my Steam profile and was looking through the friends list when Smallfry's name caught my eye. Completely out of nowhere I actually start to get choked up reminiscing. It's so weird how these kinds of events can come back to catch you so unexpectedly and drudge up memories.

--- End quote ---

Honestly, it was probably me. I tend to use Nathan's username on my gaming devices now and I hope to get more active here now. (I know this is a very late reply to your message.) For those of you who remember Nate, I'm his younger sister. My name is Emily, I'm 21 (22 on Saturday!) now, I am almost done with college, and I am hoping to custom build a keyboard for my boyfriend's new gaming computer. I hope to connect with y'all the same way my brother did. Nate was a really big inspiration for me and I miss him terribly.

--- End quote ---

hey welcome. can't believe the last time i would have spoken to you is 7 years ago at the first keycon. Hope your family's doing well, it's really endearing to hear you've taken an interest in the hobby. puddsy and I were actually talking about your brother the other day, thinking how he might react to seeing how enormous this hobby has become. It's certainly not the same without him. A lot of people he would have talked to have moved on from the hobby but there's still a wealth of knowledge around so let us know how we can help :)

typo:
Smallfry was my personal friend. I mean I knew him in person. I thought at 17 he would most certainly outlive me. I live 8 hours from them. I am older than his Great Grandfather. Yet his parents did not mind. I am not exactly a molester if you knew me. I have said this every time this comes up. They are not even rural. Rural tractor accidents is the ONLY killer other than natural death out here. Please be more careful in your cars and for the love of the lord don't drive under the influence. I in no way mean to undermine the tragedy of my beloved friend Nate. However let us save just someone in his memory please.

I would go with you guys for sure. There is only one problem. I am dying now. I am hooked up to a bunch of machines. I really do not want to say my name in the public forum but they will know who "typo" is. Please pay my condolences. Soon I will be with him. We will enjoy all the things we did in the flesh. I am sure. He knew so much. When I could not get something working he knew exactly what was wrong. This was by no means limited to keyboards either. He was honestly a genius for just 17.

mkawa it is nice to see you here. I seem to always miss you. Or you just stay away from me because you can't deal with mentally ill. Either way it is over soon.
I am very glad you are going to pay your respects. That means a lot. It is nice to see you here to Emily. Words cannot explain how sorry I am about the loss of your brother. A man my age should die. Not a 17 year old. When I get there I will tell him how much he is loved.

HoffmanMyster:

--- Quote from: Baby_Fry on Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:24:29 ---Honestly, it was probably me. I tend to use Nathan's username on my gaming devices now and I hope to get more active here now. (I know this is a very late reply to your message.) For those of you who remember Nate, I'm his younger sister. My name is Emily, I'm 21 (22 on Saturday!) now, I am almost done with college, and I am hoping to custom build a keyboard for my boyfriend's new gaming computer. I hope to connect with y'all the same way my brother did. Nate was a really big inspiration for me and I miss him terribly.

--- End quote ---

:eek:  Welcome back!  It was so great to meet you and your parents at the first KeyCon; it meant a lot for you all to open your lives to us and embrace us weirdos that Nate used to hang out with.  :)  Like Sifo said, let us know if there's anything at all we can do to help. 

Hope to see you around here more.

Baby_Fry:

--- Quote from: Sifo on Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:03:10 ---
--- Quote from: Baby_Fry on Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:24:29 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

hey welcome. can't believe the last time i would have spoken to you is 7 years ago at the first keycon. Hope your family's doing well, it's really endearing to hear you've taken an interest in the hobby. puddsy and I were actually talking about your brother the other day, thinking how he might react to seeing how enormous this hobby has become. It's certainly not the same without him. A lot of people he would have talked to have moved on from the hobby but there's still a wealth of knowledge around so let us know how we can help :)

--- End quote ---

When Nate was getting into the hobby, there is one thing I always used to remember. Whenever we would take the bus home (which was a lot, since he struggled with keeping his grades good enough for our parents to let him drive me to school), we had the same conversation every day. In his dumb excited tone (you guys probably know the one if you met him in person, it sounded kind of like a muffled Simpson's character), he would say "Hi Em" and I would respond "Hi Nate". He would ask "How are you?" and I would say "Good, how are you?", to which he would always say "Good". And then I would ask if he was expecting anything in the mail. He LOVED showing me everything he was getting, which our parents had no idea was coming to our house. I always thought it was funny how little our parents knew about how much he had. And he almost never spent a dime! About an hour of our time before working on homework when we got home was messing around with his new keyboard stuff and him teaching me why it was cool. He would explain EVERYTHING. Those are some of the best memories I have with my brother. I'll be around here more now, hopefully, with the pandemic and all, and I'll keep y'all updated about me and my family.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version