Author Topic: Vintage Switch Tester (to see if they work, not how they feel)  (Read 2901 times)

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
I'm working with a number of different vintage switches and I want to test if they work before I solder them into a board.  I have a multimeter with alligator clip leads but it's cumbersome to hook the leads up each time to test for connectivity.  I feel like there should be a better "hot swap" solution out there but I'm not working with Cherrys or their clones so the Kaihl hot swap sockets won't work for me.  I tried googling for "switch tester" but all I get for results are acrylic matrices to plop switches into to test key feel.  Hence why I am posting here in the hopes that someone knows the solution to my problem.

The particular switches I am working with are Alps SKCC, Mitsumi Type 1 standard mechanicals, and SMK J-M0404 tall stem uprights.  All I need is a simple tester with a voltage source, a resistor, an LED, and a spot to stick a switch in between them that can accept multiple different footprints.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Vintage Switch Tester (to see if they work, not how they feel)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 March 2023, 20:17:49 »
I used to test by using a 60% pcb for mx. Just line the pins with the pads. Like the spacebar has multiple pads so you can angle the legs against the pads. From there you just activate the switch and check the key tester if it registers.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline matt-taco

Re: Vintage Switch Tester (to see if they work, not how they feel)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 00:31:03 »
a multimeter with a continuity function?