Author Topic: PCB as a Plate  (Read 6103 times)

Offline tedfs3

• No Mercy Given
PCB as a Plate
« on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 00:41:01 »
I'm trying to design a PCB that will be made into a mechanical keyboard. I've already had prototype boards made but have not had time to assemble one yet due to moving. So no idea if they even work yet.
Design based on [null]'s design here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97883.0

I'd also like to design a plate in KiCad that the switches will pop into and set on top of the main pcb to align for soldering. How do I go about designing square holes in Kicad ? Asking in Reddit , I was told PCB plates are a common thing. Had no idea this was a thing and could solve my plate/case issue if I could figure out how to make square holes in KiCad.

Thoughts ?

Taken From https://www.40percent.club/
I see no contact link to ask there.

It does seem rounded corners are used and the MX/ALPS cut would make this possible.

220301-0

Offline The Gambler

• Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.
Re: PCB as a Plate
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 14:51:34 »
You can either make a footprint that uses the Edge.Cuts layer using the Footprint Editor, or draw the cutouts yourself in the Edge.Cuts layer in Pcbnew.

I made the cutout a footprint for reusability, but it is not natively supported in KiCAD's footprint editor and must be manually edited using a text editor. The example pic below shows what I did; the cutouts are footprints in this case.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 June 2019, 14:53:55 by The Gambler »
DIY LFKeyboards VA68M ALPS
Gherkin ALPS
DIY MF68 Clears (di0ib's PCB)
Too many osu! keypads

Logitech G203/ Zowie ZA12

Offline tedfs3

• No Mercy Given
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 21:10:05 »
Well my solution so far was to import the DXF plate output from KLE/Swillkb as a footprint into KiCad. I made a copy of the finished PCB, ripped up all the traces and am moving my components to fit the plate footprint. Not exactly happy with this as everything has to be moved manually and is subject to my error.

Anyone have recommendations for properly lining up the stabilizer holes and cutouts ?

Offline The Gambler

• Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 10:43:10 »
Well my solution so far was to import the DXF plate output from KLE/Swillkb as a footprint into KiCad. I made a copy of the finished PCB, ripped up all the traces and am moving my components to fit the plate footprint. Not exactly happy with this as everything has to be moved manually and is subject to my error.

Anyone have recommendations for properly lining up the stabilizer holes and cutouts ?

Oh, you went that route too. I wasn't happy with importing a DXF into KiCAD since aligning stuff was weird.

Again, I still strongly propose you pull out the Cherry MX datasheet and draw the cutouts in Pcbnew or Footprint Editor manually. I suggest you do it in Footprint Editor since the footprint can be reused for multiple KB projects.
DIY LFKeyboards VA68M ALPS
Gherkin ALPS
DIY MF68 Clears (di0ib's PCB)
Too many osu! keypads

Logitech G203/ Zowie ZA12

Offline tedfs3

• No Mercy Given
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 15:45:33 »

Oh, you went that route too. I wasn't happy with importing a DXF into KiCAD since aligning stuff was weird.

Again, I still strongly propose you pull out the Cherry MX datasheet and draw the cutouts in Pcbnew or Footprint Editor manually. I suggest you do it in Footprint Editor since the footprint can be reused for multiple KB projects.

Yeah I didn't like the way the PCB ended up doing it that way. All the hours spent lining the keys perfectly would basically have been ruined. It just makes more sense to line the plate up with the finished PCB. I did edit the full DXF plate and made it into separate cuts. After looking at the data sheet, I did have to tweak the 1x cut because it measured 13.87mm. Which means the other cuts will need to altered as well. All a learning process.