Author Topic: Does anyone know the mixing proportions for GH V4 lube?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline OverBanana

Does anyone know the mixing proportions for GH V4 lube?
« on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 01:28:51 »
I've searched the net with Google. I've also searched r/mechkeys and the wiki, and geekhack.org itself.

So far, I've found that GH V4 is a mixture of Krytox GPL 206 and Krytox VPF 1506, of which I have both in quantities over 100 grams. The only thing I haven't nailed down is the exact proportion of the mix.
GH V4 is being sold in 'thick' and 'thin' versions. Starting with GPL 206 as a base, adding VPF 1506 would lower both the NLGI grade and viscosity. More VPL 1506 means thinner GH V4.
I would like to know the proportions of GPL 206 and VPF 1506 respectively for the 'thick' and 'thin' versions.

Since I have reasonable amounts of the precursor materials, I intend to make GH V4 in different proportions/thicknesses to see what comes out. However, it would be very useful to know the proportions that successful and well-tried formulations have used.
Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Edit: Some useful info I've found so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bgbmrp/is_the_gh_v4_lube_an_effective_alternative_to/
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0

I've seen some people saying that GH V4 has to be boiled, but I don't believe it's true. Krytox oils and greases are made from compounds that naturally blend with each other.
Boiling them would be quite difficult, because they're designed to resist high temperatures and vacuum.

Krytox greases consist of a Krytox base oil mixed with powdered PTFE aka Teflon. GPL 206 for example is just GPL 106 (which is liquid PFPE) mixed with powdered PTFE (which is a solid).

The NLGI grade depends on the proportions used in the mix. GPL 206 can be made in Grade 000 by adding just a tiny bit of powdered PTFE to GPL 106, or in Grade 0 by adding a greater amount, or the standard Grade 2 by mixing in even more. The addition of PTFE powder to make a grease helps the oil to remain in place, rather than trickling down and off the surface under the force of gravity.

Krytox oils are numbered from GPL 100 to GPL 107 in order of increasing viscosity, or thickness. Krytox greases are the same oils mixed with Teflon powder, and they have the same viscosity as the base oil. They are numbered from GPL 200 to GPL 207 after the corresponding oils they are made from.