Author Topic: Hello geekhack, I'm banternlantern  (Read 1618 times)

Offline banternlantern

Hello geekhack, I'm banternlantern
« on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 16:26:32 »
Hi there! I have been perusing this forum for a while now, just checking things out and reading up on things like RIT dyeing PBT keycaps and modding HHKB Pro 2 for bluetooth, but I feel like I'm ready to now delve deeper into your world.

I just got into mech keyboards about a month ago, but have already spent tons of money on different boards and keys.

My setup currently is a HHKB Pro 2 with blank dark gray keycaps.

I plan on RIT dyeing some HHKB white blanks.

I have the recent from MassDrop Varmilo VA108 and WhiteFox keyboards coming eventually, and a handful of artisan keycaps.

All in all, I'm excited to be joining the community and look forward to everything the site has to offer.

-bantern

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Re: Hello geekhack, I'm banternlantern
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 18:41:57 »
Welcome to geekhack! I have heard that rit dye's formula has changed recently and it doesnt work on plastics. I have not personally used it, but I have heard good things about a dye called iDye poly. It is available on amazon. Ill be dyeing some of my model F keycaps soon with it. Enjoy your time here. You already have what many here call their endgame, a hhkb is a hell of a place to start.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 11:52:50 »
Welcome! Good luck with the dyeing! This might help: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/key_modifications ;)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:07:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you BT-modified your HHKB already?

If not, did you know that there is a BT-enabled one you can buy directly now?

And if you feel that you're spending too much on keyboard stuff, have a quick read through this thread that might help put things in perspective :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ