Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3305 times)

Offline pieman103021

Hello!
« on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:14:12 »
Hey all, I have lurked for a while and just decided to post something.
I have a Ducky Shine 3 TKL with blue and gray PBT caps and MX Browns. I also just joined the KBP V60 mini drop with Gateron Blues, which I am really looking forward to getting.

Glad to be a member of another mech community!
S60x w/ Mod-Ms, Ducky Blanks | xd60 | kbp v60 mini
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:23:02 »
Hey all, I have lurked for a while and just decided to post something.
I have a Ducky Shine 3 TKL with blue and gray PBT caps and MX Browns. I also just joined the KBP V60 mini drop with Gateron Blues, which I am really looking forward to getting.

Glad to be a member of another mech community!

Is it pronounced "pye-mann" or the Final Fantasy route and "pee-mohn"?

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:53:48 »
Is it pronounced "pye-mann" or the Final Fantasy route and "pee-mohn"?

It is pronounced pye-mann, as in the man of many pies. Because pie tastes good. Because it is a glorious mixture of pastry and fruit. Which is awesome.
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 05:10:25 »
Yea but -- what is your favorite Poptart flavor?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 01:50:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sweet pies?  We have mostly savoury pies over here - the great Aussie meat pie, for example, and other examples like beef and red wine, or chicken.

But I digress.

A couple of different keyboards and switches - have you tried many switches?  If not, getting a new keyboard with a different switch is a great idea as the best way of trying a switch is to type on a keyboard full of that switch.  Once you find a switch you like, you'll probably sell your other board, or maybe convert them into living display boards for extra keycap sets.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 23:46:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sweet pies?  We have mostly savoury pies over here - the great Aussie meat pie, for example, and other examples like beef and red wine, or chicken.

But I digress.

A couple of different keyboards and switches - have you tried many switches?  If not, getting a new keyboard with a different switch is a great idea as the best way of trying a switch is to type on a keyboard full of that switch.  Once you find a switch you like, you'll probably sell your other board, or maybe convert them into living display boards for extra keycap sets.
Hey rowdy!

Definitely sweet pies, anything else would be a travesty.

As for switches I have my browns which I am pretty disappointed with. I really love clears but they are not easy to come by on a budget, so I will live with blues on my next board. I will also keep my current keyboard because blues will be too loud for note-taking in class.
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 01:19:56 »
Hey rowdy!

As for switches I have my browns which I am pretty disappointed with. I really love clears but they are not easy to come by on a budget, so I will live with blues on my next board. I will also keep my current keyboard because blues will be too loud for note-taking in class.

Keep an eye on Massdrop - they have drops for popular keyboards with MX clears from time to time.  Where I got my CODE with MX clears from :)

Some people love browns, but a lot don't for various, usually fairly consistent, reasons.  I nearly got browns in my first modern mechanical keyboard, but was talked into blues by advice received on GH.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 01:29:50 »
Hey rowdy!

Keep an eye on Massdrop - they have drops for popular keyboards with MX clears from time to time.  Where I got my CODE with MX clears from :)

Some people love browns, but a lot don't for various, usually fairly consistent, reasons.  I nearly got browns in my first modern mechanical keyboard, but was talked into blues by advice received on GH.
Yeah, I just got a new board with blues on massdrop so I won't be buying a new keyboard for a couple of years, probably after I graduate college. I wish I had waited another week and gotten the code tkl that just dropped, but there is no use dwelling on that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:11:05 »
Hey rowdy!

Yeah, I just got a new board with blues on massdrop so I won't be buying a new keyboard for a couple of years, probably after I graduate college. I wish I had waited another week and gotten the code tkl that just dropped, but there is no use dwelling on that.

With a few more posts and a bit longer membership you can create a classifieds thread to sell an existing keyboard to help find a new one.

Also you can remove that Tapatalk sig in the Tapatalk settings, in case you didn't know ;)

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:40:28 »
Hey rowdy!

With a few more posts and a bit longer membership you can create a classifieds thread to sell an existing keyboard to help find a new one.

Also you can remove that Tapatalk sig in the Tapatalk settings, in case you didn't know ;)
Ah, thanks didn't even realize there was a Sig until you mentioned it.

As for new boards it will be more a restriction due to price than availability. I wish I could afford to drop $200 on a keyboard, but it is completely out of the question for me.
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 03:11:13 »
Hey rowdy!

Ah, thanks didn't even realize there was a Sig until you mentioned it.

As for new boards it will be more a restriction due to price than availability. I wish I could afford to drop $200 on a keyboard, but it is completely out of the question for me.

I know what you mean!

I've got my little collection, and reduced the number of additional keyboards I want (or need) to an absolute minimum, but I'm in no hurry to get them.