Author Topic: New to the site. Just ordered a CM QF XTi, but desperately seeking a 96key!  (Read 3525 times)

Offline sinetwo

Hi all,

So I just ordered a CM QF XTi MX Brown, but I've been looking for a Red Scarf III/ZZ96/RS96. I'm still hunting, but I'm hoping I may be able to get a kit through a taobao proxy as the GBs have finished.

If anyone's got any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

:thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Like this one? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1902

How about the CM QF TK? Isn't that a 96key?

Welcome to GH :)

Offline sinetwo

Hi csmertx, 

Sorry about  meant specifically the more compact type like this:
http://img04.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i4/TB1kuj1GpXXXXcoaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Offline Spopepro

Like this one? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1902

How about the CM QF TK? Isn't that a 96key?

Welcome to GH :)

Both of these bring up the issue of talking about "96 %/key" as a layout. Neither of these has the arrow cluster, but those mentioned in OP do. The QF TK has the annoying OEM bottom row of death, which might matter, might not. There are so many different ways to do what more or less amounts to "full layout compact".

The best recommendation I have is patience, as some of the types listed in OP will show up in classifieds. But patience and geekhack don't go together so well, so I'll also suggest the winkeyless b.mini EX. Winkeyless boards are absolutely top notch, and there are a lot of nice features on that PCB. Yes, it has an extra column, but that can be a benefit.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Oh right on. In the future, I'll try to answer questions AFTER coffee :p

Yea you definitely have the right idea. Taobao, if you don't want to reach your post count limit for the classifieds here at GH

And if you get super frustrated with trying to find that RS96 maybe some kind of 87key might work? B.Mini (winkeyless) and Plum 87 come to mind (Plum 35g capacitive rgb madness). Or maybe the plain ole Noppoo 87key choc mini? Hopefully you have some luck with the Red Scarf--RS cases are pretty damn awesome

Offline sinetwo

Great! There's a b.mini ex 2. Do you know the difference? There's a very slight gap for the num pad but I can live with that!

This keyboard looks like sex on keys.
https://m.imgur.com/a/NB1v8
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 August 2016, 10:20:23 by sinetwo »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Great! There's a b.mini ex 2. Do you know the difference? There's a very slight gap for the num pad but I can live with that!

I found a few reference pictures. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the b.mini ex x2 has a slightly different bottom row with 1.5u keys thrown in the mix

b.mini EX
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg2165760#msg2165760
(peep the hyperfuse :eek:)

b.mini EX X2
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4i40r0/photos_my_brand_new_b87_ex_x2_with_gateron_clears/

Offline Spopepro

The "2" designation is just the revision of the board adding another row of RGB under-board glow chips. There are many, many layouts supported on the board and if you're buying the case, you can specify at checkout if you want a plate for a particular layout, or a universal one (combo) to make your mind up later.

Offline sinetwo

Brilliant guys. This is the one! What would I require from them if all I want to do is solder the switches and get separate key caps?

Thanks for your help in advance everyone

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

The "2" designation is just the revision of the board adding another row of RGB under-board glow chips. There are many, many layouts supported on the board and if you're buying the case, you can specify at checkout if you want a plate for a particular layout, or a universal one (combo) to make your mind up later.

Thank you for the clarification :)

Offline sinetwo

Great stuff, thanks for explaining the difference. I've sent him an email but he's not responded, the chap from WKL.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

Chiming in a bit late, apparently :))

And with not much to add to the above.  Some great links there :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sinetwo

Many thanks. I guess for the SA caps I'll need to be on the ball for good group buys. I was hoping SA caps would be readily available but seems they're exclusive to SP. I wish I never got into MKs....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Many thanks. I guess for the SA caps I'll need to be on the ball for good group buys. I was hoping SA caps would be readily available but seems they're exclusive to SP. I wish I never got into MKs....

There's lots of other profiles to try while you're waiting for an SA set to become available!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sinetwo

There's lots of other profiles to try while you're waiting for an SA set to become available!

Please.... no... more.... spending... money...  :-\

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Please.... no... more.... spending... money...  :-\

This thread might help put things into perspective for a while :)